Sure, Superman (well, most versions) can shrug off lightning, but generally, electrically-powered heroes are considered among the more powerful superheroes for a reason. Spider-Man has Mary Jane Watson, Aunt May, and sometimes Harry. Both of them are black superheros with lightning powers. In a Future Filled With Electric Cars, AM Radio May Be Left Behind. DC surprisingly did not use this trope in, Miles Morales's Venom Strike is a bio-electric attack in, Though he's an anthropomorphic dog using lightning-like pyrotechnics rather than a human superhero, Powerline in, Soul Power, a retro funk character from the, Interestingly, Static gets to be a Black Lightning stand-in in a series. Possibly it's because of one of the major black heroes, Black Lightning. As Black Lightning is a popular Black superhero, it'd make sense that others wanted to use himor at least a hero like himas often as possible. Its that sort of solid characterization and fleshing out of a personality, Wayne told me, thats the key making sure that a character doesnt become reduced to a two-dimensional stereotype. While Volts powers are a playful jab at superhero comics as a whole, they do raise a number of questions about what it means exactly when creators choose to turn black characters into walking, talking batteries. Wakanda was depicted as a peculiar mix of futuristic . select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. 8 Electro Is The Electric-Powered Foe Of Spider-Man Who Threatens The Web-Slinger. Sub-power of Charged Particles Manipulation and Electromagnetism Manipulation. It goes without saying that Storm is perhaps the most iconic example of a the Black Electricity Trope, but shes also a character whos transcended much of its limitations as a result of being written and depicted thoughtfully across a variety of different mediums. She can become and manipulate anything on the energy spectrum, hence one of her monikers. The Black Electricity Trope reads like a distant cousin to the Magical Negro, in that theyre both established formulations of a character whose most defining qualities are a preternatural understanding and command of natural force. So they get their hits in and get taken out. As many of the issues plaguing black people are structural and more complex than a simple plot could cater to, visual stories have helped to give out a. Marvel has featured heroes such as the X-Men's Storm who can control lightning. Even if their opponent is resistant to electricity, the immense heat generated from lightning traveling through the sky, which is around 6 times hotter than the surface of the sun, will definitely pose a threat to them. As an elemental power, electricity manipulation is very simple and straightforward accompanied with a near-limitless myriad of uses. By rejecting non-essential cookies, Reddit may still use certain cookies to ensure the proper functionality of our platform. Ive been looking more into this subject and came across this. Funny enough tho, I've always favored electricity/lightning powers as well. And also controlling electricity is badass. Fun as it was, the process of picking out which superhero I wanted to be always stressed me out for one particular reason that still bothers me to this day. When you do you might note that MOST of them are VILLAINS. Heat Vision Famous Users: Superman, Firestorm, Supergirl, Val-Zod, Darkseid, General Zod, Cyclops Heat vision is a powerful form of energy manipulation that allows the user to shoot heat rays out of their eyes. Enter your email below. (Its worth pointing out that Black Vulcan was created by Hanna-Barbera for the Superfriends cartoon, which producers felt needed a black character even though Black Lightning already existed. 5) Lack of Peripheral Vision. The idea that black superheroes are given electrical powers because it lets them be taken out easily is an interesting one, but I'm not sure I'm convinced that's where it comes from. /*