I think you should give it to someone else.'" Some viewers may worry that Tess owes a lot of money by the end of the month and will lose the club if she can't get it. When Ali says she doesn't understand why the dancers can't also sing, Tess tells her that it's because it's above her pay grade (to understand). The Good Place alum portrayed Nikki, a performer who strikes up an ongoing rivalry with Ali. She manages to get hired as a waitress by Tess (Cher from Silkwood and Moonstruck), the owner of the club, an uncompromising woman who is also the star of the show. Ali is mad and storms out. Little by little, the young woman discovered the life of this small world. That is, until she hears Ali belt out a song, a development that also draws Marcus' interest, not only due to the young woman's talent, but also because she's quite attractive. Aguilera and Cher developed a close bond behind-the-scenes of the film that emulated their characters budding mother-daughter relationship in the movie. We see a montage of Ali delivering drinks. Because she's never watched Coyote Ugly or Gone Girl or the other 9000 films that are like this. And so, they rewrote it." See that category for additional information. He uses some profanity. Who are the actors in the movie Burlesque? Ali goes to deliver two drinks to Nikki, but Tess grabs and downs one of them. "Because it's above your pay grade," "Get your ass back in my house," "Freaking," "Save your ass," "I haven't a G*ddamn clue," "Iced tea, my ass," "What the hell are you doing back here?" Ali wears an off-the-shoulder top that's quite low-cut (but not enough to reveal her breast). Nikki is apparently an alcoholic, who shows up late for work and has an attitude about that and most everything else. "They had to rewrite the character because I was just like, 'This girl doesnt have a lot of drive,'" she said at the time. He then comes out, shirtless, saying he needs some water as he doesn't want a hangover. Sexually related dialogue and song lyrics are present, as is sexual humor (including that depicting male oral sex), barely obscured male and female full frontal nudity, nudity in paintings, off-screen sex, and the views of burlesque dancers in revealing attire doing suggestive moves and poses in various musical numbers. Ali Rose : Hey! As she drives off drunk, Tess smashes her side car window in passing. Once in L.A., she tries and fails at every audition she does until one night, she finds herself unknowingly in aburlesqueclub when she hears the music on the street. Sally Rand There isn't one shred of originality to be found in Burlesque. What, I don't have a brain? About a newspaper story about the club and Ali, Nikki sarcastically says, "The only thing major is Coco's ass." Plus, Jack's self-absorbed fiance Natalie and his roommate Ali fit this trope respectively. Those dire straits are also on the mind of Tess' ex-husband, Vince (PETER GALLAGHER), who's still co-owner of Burlesque and wants to sell to local real estate developer Marcus (ERIC DANE). For those concerned with bright flashes of light on the screen, there's some of that from camera flashes, and then there are full strobe effects during a dance number later in the film. during those numbers (and there are many of them). He then returns to his room only to reemerge again, apparently still nude, and he nuzzles on her neck before making out with her (standing, she's still clothed). We see the top of Ali's breast (no nipple) in her tank-top. Another classic style painting shows bare butts. Marylin Alice "Ali" Rose, known by her nickname Ali, is the protagonist in the film, Burlesque. ", Molly Ringwald Turned Down 'Pretty Woman' Due To An Early Script's Ick Factor, Jennifer Aniston Reveals The One Sequel She Would *Never* Do, Rachel McAdams Would Be Part Of 'Mean Girls: The Musical' On This Condition, Toni Collette "Doesn't Regret" Turning Down This Classic Rom-Com, Get Even More From Bustle Sign Up For The Newsletter. Georgia does a solo dance number in her bra, panties and garters, and is then joined by other similarly dressed dancers, including a late Nikki who takes over for Georgia (and has large bits of material on the top of her bra where her nipples would be. When she discovers the spectacular revue of the Burlesque Lounge, a cabaret that was once the reference, the young woman is immediately fascinated. Cut to the morning after when Jack's fiancee, Natalie, finds them in bed together. Ali gets a job as a waitress at the club. This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. Ali slaps her own clothed butt twice while doing sexy dance moves during an audition to become a dancer. "BURLESQUE" Vince is again upset with Tess for not agreeing to sell their place to Marcus. The truth was that I didnt have any idea where to stand, not that I know where to stand now. She must contend with her ex-husband wanting to sell the place to Marcus along with Nikki's alcoholism. In the opening scene, set in a rundown small Iowa town in the middle of nowhere, Ali Rose (Christina Aguilera) is a young waitress working in a seedy restaurant. function gtag(){dataLayer.push(arguments);} -M-NUva. With over two decades years of professional stage experience, armed with her BA Honours degree in contemporary theatre and choreography, for Ms Deville the spotlight is her playground. 8. He then walks out and we see his full rear nudity, while Ali apparently sees more and is tickled by this. Jack has a tattoo, as does Sean, Nikki and various minor and miscellaneous characters. A bottle of champagne is opened during a musical number. We see Jack reaching for a towel out of the shower, but only finds lots of Ali's lingerie and such. Violence includes the smashing of a car window in passing, and views of an already vandalized apartment. A small-town girl ventures to Los Angeles and finds her place in a neo-burlesque club run by a former dancer. As she drives off drunk, Tess smashes her side car window in passing. CAST, CREW, & TECHNICAL INFO Tess has a drink in the club (as do others). Various foreground objects block our view of his crotch, including a box of cookies that he holds there, and then asks if she wants a cookie. followed by "I'm a good girl.". What is meant by the competitive environment? I think you should give it to someone else. I had an initial meeting with Amy Pascal and Clint Culpepper, and I said, I just dont think shes for me. How Tess refuses to sell her place, hoping for some way to turn her business around. From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Burlesque is a 2010 American backstage musical film written and directed by Steven Antin and starring Cher and Christina Aguilera along with Eric Dane, Cam Gigandet, Julianne Hough, Alan Cumming, Peter Gallagher, Kristen Bell, Stanley Tucci, Dianna Agron, and Tyne Stecklein. Backed by newfound friends amongst the theater's crew, she manages to fulfill her dreams of being on stage herself. Im old but Im still pretty on top of everything.. Instead of leaving, Ali begins serving customers at the club as awaitress, while Tess and Sean observe with Jack asking Tess to give Ali a chance. A person uses the term "boobs for brains." Jack returns home and catches a glimpse of Ali in her bra and panties, trying on clothes. I'm talking to you! I tried to put her at ease. Some innuendo and sexually related lyrics occur in some songs. She drinks some and uses profanity. Coco shows a lot of leg and cleavage outside the club. Ali leaves Marcus, after discovering his plans to sell the burlesque for money. When Tess sarcastically asks her ex-husband if he also told Marcus she has a tattoo on her ass, this is actually a reference to her infamous visible tattoo shown in the see-through outfit Cher sported in her music video "If I Could Turn Back Time". The Spy Kids star portrayed club doorman Alexis, who briefly takes the stage for a risqu dance number. Another classic style painting shows bare butts. Background Ali Rose (Aguilera) moves to Los Angeles after she quits her bar job when her boss refuses to pay her. A character tells another, "Maybe I should wash your mouth out with Jagermeister.". When she discovers the spectacular revue of the Burlesque Lounge, a cabaret that was once the reference, the young woman is immediately fascinated. The resulting money is enough for Tess to buy out Vince's share, pay off the bank, and re-fashion the club to her own vision. WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: PG-13 Tess tells Ali to push up her "boobs," telling her she has them so she should work them. "It wasn't a good film," the Moonstruck star told the Los Angeles Times. I want someone with more bite and more passion for what she wants in life.' Injustice robbed Ali of his prime athleticism. Ali performs a song that includes a line about "What did you do for those pearls?" Tess walks in carrying a bottle of liquor, Sean asks her if she wants a glass, and she states she's way beyond the glass stage. The victim, Ali Elbanna, a father of five, was fatally shot on Nov. 16, 2021, outside of a Costco near Park Lane and Greenville Avenue in North Dallas. PETER GALLAGHER plays Tess' ex-husband who's solely focused on and quite nervous about the club's financial problems and wants to sell to Marcus. You've heard this story before: Small town Iowa girl Ali goes to LA dreaming of musical stardom. She moves into Jack's place in a platonic fashion (although they eventually have sex) and finds herself lured in by Marcus' rich lifestyle. This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. during those numbers (and there are many of them). She then drinks a shot with him. (Note: The "Our Take" review of this title examines the film's artistic merits and does not take into account any of the possibly objectionable material listed below). Ali litters a torn-up postcard out the window. Absolutely! Frightening/Tense Scenes Jack denies this, and while trying to fix things, he asks Ali to leave. When someone makes the comment, "It just happens," Georgia (who's pregnant) says she knows how it feels, saying she has to pee again. She not only sings and dances in the movie, she also had a hand in writing three original songs. While the character Natalie in Burlesque is only in one scene that's filled with spitfire dialogue, viewers may not realize that the heartbroken fiancee in the film is actually played by Dianna Agron, who's an experienced singer as well. He has a camera and takes a photo, and wants her to do that again. Tess, a retired dancer and owner of the venue, struggles to keep the aging theater alive, facing all kinds of financial and artistic challenges. Music(Scary/Tense) Although Natalie is a small non-singing role, the actor who played her is known for her vocals. Sean states that his nickname for Nikki is "slut." The two then passionately kiss. Moderate CAM GIGANDET plays the club's bartender (and aspiring songwriter) who has Ali move in with him (platonically, he's engaged to someone else) after her place is robbed. Sean smokes at least 5 times, while Nikki smokes once. I tried to put her at ease. About what Vince has told Marcus, Tess asks, "Did you also tell him I have a tattoo on my ass?". How did Ali get a job at the burlesque club? Show me how you burlesque! We hear that Vince is divorced from Tess, but still co-owner of the club. When Sean tells Jack he should act on how he seemingly feels about Ali, Jack replies that it's ironic getting relationship advice from "Mister one-night stand himself." She smiles at his flirtation, and he goes back to his bedroom, only to open the door again. Tess puts makeup on Ali and learns that the latter never got any lessons from her mom on doing that, what with the mom dying when Ali was seven. You'd think that the film, with it's rich Devil Wears Prada-meets-Coyote Ugly undertones would be a smash hit, and it would if it wasn't so cheesy at times. Nikki is apparently an alcoholic, who shows up late for work and has an attitude about that and most everything else. ", Ali performs a song that includes a line about "What did you do for those pearls?" VIOLENCE When she does an impromptu bit of singing on stage, she surprises everyone and is then seen as the club's possible financial savior. A character tells another, "Maybe I should wash your mouth out with Jagermeister." TVTropes is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License. She instantaneously gets a job at a flashy, exciting burlesque club, with wise owner Tess becoming her mentor, beautiful alcoholic Nikki becoming her rival, and engaged-to-some-rando bartender Jack becoming her TOTES PLATONIC friend slash roommate. Burlesque, written and directed by Steven Antin, offered her an opportunity to apply her creative skills and exercise some new ones. Reviewed November 22, 2010 / Posted November 24, 2010 One night, she hears music coming from a burlesque club, where Tess ( Cher) and the dancers perform Welcome to Burlesque. Scroll down to see stars you may have forgot appeared in Burlesque. Ali wears a revealing leather outfit during a number. The Grey's Anatomy alum's character, Marcus, attempts to seduce Ali while also making plans to build a skyscraper on the club's property. Jack has a beer at home. Clockwise, from the top left: Christina Aguilera, Cher, Kristen Bell, and Stanley Tucci. Things take a dramatic turn though when Ali's big voice makes her become the main attraction of the revue. This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. When Ali says she doesn't understand why the dancers can't also sing, Tess tells her that it's because it's above her pay grade (to understand). The only part of this movie that makes sense. Many of the songs featured in Burlesque were actually covers, such as Mae West's A Guy What Takes His Time, and Etta James' Something's Got a Hold on Me. We see Jack reaching for a towel out of the shower, but only finds lots of Ali's lingerie and such. But, Christina worked so hard. By subscribing to this BDG newsletter, you agree to our. ", Phrases: "You are a master of the f*cking obvious," "Not that I give a sh*t," "Oh sh*t," "Or is that just bullsh*t now?" Georgia does a solo dance number in her bra, panties and garters, and is then joined by other similarly dressed dancers, including a late Nikki who takes over for Georgia (and has large bits of material on the top of her bra where her nipples would be. Ali returns to her apartment to find it's been ransacked and her money stolen. As movie fans, we give you content we know you will enjoy!#burlesque #backstage #musical #cher #christinaaguilera #dancer #cabaret #music #artist #audition #persuade #kristenbell #stanleytucci #movieclips #clips Burlesque is all about satire, striptease and the women who bring them together. Moderate With a tip from bartender Jack (CAM GIGANDET), Ali goes in to see the club's owner, Tess (CHER), and manager, Sean (STANLEY TUCCI), but they're preoccupied not only with the current show, but also the club's finances. He uses some profanity. Wynton Marsalis. -Welcome to the Hero/Protagonist wiki! Sean (Stanley Tucci) is giving her outfits to try. Will those two crazy kids make it work? Should you still be concerned about the film's appropriateness for yourself or anyone else in your home, you may want to look more closely at our detailed listings for more specific information regarding the film's content. Mild OUR WORD TO PARENTS: Ali performs a song that includes a line about "What did you do for those pearls?" DISRESPECTFUL/BAD ATTITUDE Tess : [Ali is auditioning] Hey Dave, cut it. During a musical number, Tess sings and pulls a female dancer's head to her crotch for a moment. Seeing them close, one person jokes for them to get a room. The former Dancing With the Stars judge played Georgia, a dancer whose sudden pregnancy opens up a spot for Ali to audition. One dancer adjusts her clothed breasts. Thanks! We see lots of cleavage and bare midriffs during a montage of Ali and others practicing. "There, are you happy, I hope that's a good look for your big plans of passing out on a ratty couch.". "The truth was that I didnt have any idea where to stand, not that I know where to stand now. during their various dance numbers. The "Beautiful" singer portrayed Ali, a small-town girl who heads to Los Angeles with big dreams and a dynamic voice to back up her determination to see her name in lights. Tess states that her mom had a body that could stop a truck. . Ali shows cleavage. The two then passionately kiss.