Other little touches in Viking cabins that show the line's attention to functionality include the large and clear lettering on the Freyja toiletries that youll find in every Viking cabin bathroom. Awards can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at hotels participating in Marriott Bonvoy. If you make it all fit in your carry on you are my hero!:). So, pack a pair or two of khakis and some collared shirts for men or some dressy outfits for woman. Some folks like to really dress up for dinner and that is what they do. If you arrive about 20 minutes early, you should have no problem finding a seat. Is it appropriate for men to wear sandals in the evening? All other rules would be followed But wifi is not the primary reason for a Viking ocean cruise. You want a plain ole omelette? domain: "cruiseline.com", To my eye, however, a collared shirt (even a colored polo) always looks neater. Comfortable walking shoes are essential. Award-winning company Viking consistently ranks among the best for both ocean and river cruises. We recommend checking for promotions or travel agent perks, as you might be able to score a deal that includes gratuities, onboard credit, or some other perks, if you time your reservation appropriately. This 60-page Packing List offers a checklist of last-minute reminders to trigger your memory. I did not even mention the chocolate fondue fountain they have each evening. Depending on your departure point, there may not even be a cruise terminal. Viking Ocean Cruises is one of the few remaining cruise lines that still mails your luggage tags to you. That is close to half the price of drinks on contemporary cruise ships which often charge upwards of $10 to $15 for mixed drinks and cocktails. However, you can only see the view on one side of the ship from your balcony. Dresses. Instead, they are eminently functional, with storage in all the right places, lots of outlets for charging your devices and lighting right where you need it. horizontal: true, Coffee Viking Ocean cruises offer complimentary, self-service launderettes with detergent, irons, and ironing boards on Decks 3-6. or would flats or low wedge dressier sandals and a jersey dress with a wrap be acceptable? T-shirts and capris are acceptable. Cruise Ship & Ocean Liner Collectibles, It probably did not but it was cool to find some nearby video game tables. Ever. Remember that youll be storing your suitcases in your cabin. Viking also offers many balcony cabins and suites on its river ships something that isnt always the case in the river cruise business, where space on vessels is at a premium. The detailing is impressive. After walking all day, its nice to have a comfy flip-flop, slide, or another open-style shoe to relax in on the ship, especially when youre in your stateroom or on your balcony. Two times on our latest cruise, cooks set up stations in the back of World Cafe. The toiletries were specifically designed with bigger and clearer lettering than is common for toiletries so that the lines older customers (Vikings core market is in the 55- to the 75-year-old range) would have no trouble differentiating the body wash from the shampoo. Thanks for this. widgetTitle:"Save With the Best Cruise Prices", Minibars with complimentary alcoholic beverages, soft drinks, water and snacks. Mamsens is located at the starboard entrance to the Explorers Lounge. Treat yo self! This complimentary activity is a fun way to unwind and chat about your days adventures with new friends. During the day, dress is casual including shorts (if the season is warm), slacks or jeans and comfortable shoes for walking tours. Swimsuits, brief Please view our advertising policy page for more information. A good, wool sweater is often a benefit when the weather is cold and damp. And will make a more formal appearance with a collared shirt. WebHappy Returns Viking Ship Filled With Pansies Ocean Embossed 1909 postcard BQ2 Condition: Used This item is in decent condition with age-related wear. Although your stateroom has a safe, why bring jewelry that youll have to worry about possibly losing or misplacing? However, unlike its ocean ships, Vikings river ships arent all-balcony-cabin vessels. The afternoon session was booked very early. When leaving a port, you will find better views on the Sports Deck (level 9). Located aft on deck 2, this venue offers upscale dining and a menu with regional influences. The thermal pool and whirlpool, as well as a steam room and snow grotto are open to both men and women. Take what makes YOU happy--and only what makes you happy. We ate in the buffet area most nights and wore flats or sandals. Ive read that they include a 15% tip but wanted to be sure as I am planning things before I go. If you are committed to sitting, try the upstairs front row chairs in the Explorers Lounge where people cannot stand in front of you. Bottled water is included at no extra charge on Viking Cruises and youll probably want to carry a bottle of water with you on shore excursions. Our opinions are our own, and have not been reviewed, approved, or endorsed by our advertising partners. 6x Marriott Bonvoy Points on each dollar of eligible purchases at hotels participating in the Marriott Bonvoy program. Creating a Viking Ocean Cruise Packing List involves knowing what to bring as well as what not to bring. Planning a cruise? Ever since my husband first began wearing travel vests on our trips, hes been addicted to them. The University Of Iowa's Only Student Newspaper. On the one warm and sunny day of our cruise, a few folks did snag loungers and take a dip in this outdoor pool. In addition, there is an outdoor sports deck all the way forward on referral: "s33722.p856.sites.pressdns.com", We kept ourselves going with plenty of coffee (Good thing its included! One of the great values of Viking Cruises is the inclusion of one shore excursion at each port of call. The suite choices on Viking ships also are relatively easy to understand. Opt for layers. We have gone on 1 river and are about to do our 3rd Ocean (We prefer and LOVE Viking Ocean cruises!!) There are some events, like trivia, as well as table games that cruisers can enjoy at their leisure. ), and went to bed earlier than we typically do on a cruise. Check here before booking an award fare. We did hear many cruisers trying to request certain tables or sections to have the same waitstaff, but it is not always possible. En-suite bathrooms are just as thoughtful, with underfloor heating, de-misting mirrors and a useful pull-out clothes line on which to hang towels. Announcing Our 2023 Cruisers' Choice Award Winners! Lululemon Black High Waist Align Tights were perfect for lounging around on the ship and could have been worn with anything I had. Eddie Bauer Infinity hiking shirt was easy to sink wash and hang for hiking The black/white was a sweater and I was very glad to have it. I brought some casual dresses to wear to the nicer restaurants on board, but formal wear is not required on the Viking cruise line. If you are debating whether you should book a cruise on this luxury brand, we have put together this list of the 20 things you need to know before taking a Viking Ocean Cruise. Passengers tend to wear McCool Travel News Travel Articles We Appear In, Viking River Cruises Danube Waltz Highlights, 8 Great Reasons Viking Cruises Are a Fantastic Value, 12 Great Ice Cream Places in US to Cool Off, 12 Reasons to Go On a Viking Rhine River Cruise with Family - Food Fun & Faraway Places, Incredible Dog Encounters While Traveling | Buddy The Traveling Monkey, Create Your Own Airplane Travel Kit with In-Flight Essentials, 8 Great Reasons NOT to Use a Travel Agent, 7 Important Reasons I Did NOT Renew My AAA Membership, 8 Sensational Scenic Drives in Florida For Your Next Sunshine State Vacation, Secret Things to Do on Viking Ocean Cruises. Our points-obsessed staff uses a plethora of credit cards on a daily basis. Lots of reasons but mostly that if we always have our luggage in our control then nothing gets lost and we're not waiting for it to be delivered (which at Logan, at least, can be forever). The rooms arent overly flashy, though. At peak times, the line can be a bit longer, but the dining room is quite large for a ship of this size. Thank you both for your replies. Sign up for McCool Travel updates. In addition, each of the complexes has a boardroom with a long table that seats 12 people for meetings and catered dinner parties. (This lightweight, water-resistant puffer jacket weighs less than 2 ounces. Suggested attire for women includes dresses, skirts or slacks with sweaters or blouses; for men, trousers and collared shirts are recommended. The only exception: If you are headed to a warm-weather Caribbean destination. Including the French balcony cabins, nearly 75% of the cabins on Vikings Longships have balconies. This pool is long enough for swimmers to enjoy their morning laps, but most cruisers will love that you can slip into I also recommend bringing a pair of comfortable rubber-soled (deck) shoes to wear around the ship. Cruising regulars know that most cruise ships offer cabins in four broad categories: windowless inside cabins, ocean-view cabins, balcony cabins and suites. Find the right card for you. In addition to your medications, toiletries, and other essentials on these lists, remember to bring sunglasses and sunscreen. Enjoy Complimentary Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite Status with your Card. See also8 Great Tips for Selecting a Cruise. Do an optional excursion in the morning and an included excursion in the afternoon. Your voyage may be headed to warm climates, cooler ones, or some mix of the two. The Pool aboard Viking Octantis LivNordic Spa. Wonderful tips, Charles. In two weeks on the Viking Sea (into the Midnight Sun), the only sport coat I saw was the one I packed and seldom used. horizontal: true, I cut my foot on the bathroom door (dont try it!) Also, the onboard library is cultivated with selections that match the ships itinerary, and there is even a planetarium onboard the ship. ), Miraclesuit Swimwear Scoop Neck Tankini Top. Will I be Ive bookmarked this for future as I learned a lot. I know this is your busiest time of the day, but do you mind running down a few decks and getting me some of those delicious olives. Really??? Jeans or shorts are not recommended for the Creating a Viking Ocean Cruise Packing List involves knowing, Extras (like medicines, toiletries, electronics, etc.). And I detest (sorry folks!) Later a morning session was added. I don't consider myself a heavy packer but the idea of trying to heft a carry-on bag with clothes etc for even a week makes me shudder. Including Please also see our articles about two Viking ocean cruisesInto the Midnight Sun itinerary on Viking Sea andRomantic Mediterranean voyage on Viking Star. If you want to look stylish, these comfy Aerosol sandals are great. Life starts really getting good in the 14 Explorer Suites on Vikings traditional ocean ships. Our stateroom attendant Jackie referred to us by name from day one. A better grade of chino slacks and a polo shirt was my preferred "evening wear" when we did VR 2 yrs ago. Related: The ultimate guide to Viking ships and itineraries. The dress code is largely relaxed, casual, and comfortable. All rooms also have additional amenities, including premium toiletries that are regularly replenished by your stateroom attendant, larger showers, and heated bathroom floors. E&OE. Viking Octantis and Viking Polaris have what some in the cruise industry call an infinite veranda a balcony-like space created by a window wall that opens from the top down. Finally, the free night award certificate with a redemption level of 35,000 points or less can get you hundreds of dollars in potential value each year. For women, a nice dress (in the Caribbean a sundress would be great) or a dressy top and pants and sandals like the ones you describe. I recently fell in love with a $16.99 pair of fake diamond studs at TJ Maxx that are larger than any real ones I could ever afford to buy. Unlike some cruise brands such as Royal Caribbean and Norwegian Cruise Line, which offer as many as 36 different sub-types of cabins, Vikings ocean ships offer just six. One day the spa gave me a Band-Aid. I prefer these gold ones. The ultimate guide to choosing a cruise ship cabin, The best destinations you can visit on a Viking cruise, How to get a free or cheap cruise ship cabin upgrade, The ultimate guide to Viking ships and itineraries, 7 reasons you should splurge on a suite for your next cruise, The 5 most desirable cabin locations on any cruise ship, The 8 worst cabin locations on any cruise ship, A quick guide to the most popular cruise lines, 21 tips and tricks that will make your cruise go smoothly, 12 best cruises for people who never want to grow up, Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information. I had originally posted this on the Cruise Fashions board but it was suggested that I might get more feedback here. (These Vionic slip-on walking shoes are supportive and come in a variety of widths, including extra-wide. Enjoy! Jeans or shorts are not recommended for the dining room. Even when purchasing items at the onboard shops, we only needed to provide our stateroom number. Wicked cool. Same with olives. The black and white print offsets black or white pants. On a Viking Ocean Cruise, most passengers dress casually and aim for comfort. t I'm hoping to leave the cocktail dresses and uncomfortable heels at home if I can. Compare the cost in points or miles to cash, and see which option is best. Caribbean cruises are the most popular, but you can also visit several seasonal regions like Alaska on a cruise. On our cruise, we had a historian, an astronomer (literally, a retired NASA engineer), and a cultural expert. Two problems. I never travel without a small, lightweight, foldable tote bag to take on shore excursions. Vat No. But, you will not need it for anything else on the ship. Cost about $69, three hour cooking class and you eat the menu for lunch, served with nice wines. (The Viking dress code says no jeans but Ive seen some women wearing stylish ones, not the types that are washed out or torn over the knees:-). These tours are usually offered at multiple time slots throughout the day. They also have a different type of balcony that makes them feel more spacious than their square footage suggests. Those who book a Deluxe Veranda (D2) or higher can make reservations at each restaurant pre-cruise. Does that mean heels and a cocktail type dress? A mix of sleeveless, short-sleeve, and long-sleeve tops will serve you well. Plus, earn an additional Free Night Award after you spend $60K in purchases on your Card in a calendar year. Most public spaces on cruise ships tend to be chilly. 6 points per dollar on eligible purchases at hotels participating in the Marriott Bonvoy program, 4 points per dollar at restaurants worldwide, U.S. gas stations, wireless telephone services purchased directly from U.S. service providers and U.S. shipping, 2 points per dollar on all other eligible purchases, Earn a free-night award each card renewal month (up to 35,000 points), Receive 15 elite night credits to jump-start status, Must spend $60,000 in a year for second free-night award. Having no formal nights eliminates the burden of packing fancy cocktail wear or accessories that youll only wear once or twice. If anyone on our team wouldnt recommend it to a friend or a family member, we wouldnt recommend it on The Points Guy either. Vikings two oceangoing expedition ships, Viking Octantis and Viking Polaris, also have three categories of suites: The typical Viking river ship has nine suites broken down into two categories 275-square-foot Veranda Suites and 445-square-foot Explorers Suites. WebViking Ocean Cruises Scandinavia & Northern Europe; The Americas & Caribbean; Mediterranean; Quiet Season Mediterranean; Asia & Australia; Grand Voyages; Viking But I still like my walks and level 2 is a perfect 1/4 mile track. Leave your diamonds and precious jewels at home. Some women wear Bermuda shorts when touring but most times, they arent flattering. TIP: Water-resistant footwear will keep your feet dry in inclement weather. Insert foam ear plugs while walking the decks. All he needs is a couple of, Keeping the weather in mind, take a couple of pairs of, Bring tops that coordinate with your bottoms. It should be okay in the World Cafe, but Ive never seen men in sandals in any of the dining rooms. There are two basic aspects you have to keep in mind while planning your vacation so that you can create the ideal packing list for yourself. That said, if someone wants to go that route, why not! Even if you experience none of the following things to do on Viking cruises, you will still have a great time. Is The White Lotus breaking up with Four Seasons ahead of Season 3? Still, Viking cabins and suites have a lot of thoughtful touches, from sumptuous bedding that envelops you to heated floors in bathrooms. new Cruiseline.check_price({ You can check items off as you place them in your suitcase. Two guaranteed priority reservations at each alternative restaurant on board, which can be made 70 days in advance. I'm with you. I think he visits the main pantry (5 levels below) for these unusual ingredients. Collared shirts (no jeans) for the men in the evening. Happy Birthday! For breakfast, the World Cafe on Viking Cruises chefs prepare made to order omelets and turkey bacon. Leave all of the uncomfortable shoes at home. There is also the infinity pool located at the aft of Deck 7. We took our first cruise vacation together 13 years ago and have been hooked ever since. By the way, the bistecca (Florentine style steak) at Manfredis is remarkable. Bear in mind that most passengers on Viking Ocean cruises arent clothes horses who change attire several times a day. WebIt has a maximum 150 capacity and a brand new boat. Improve earnings, maximize rewards and track progress toward dream trips. The roof was closed for most of our journey and the pool area was a popular venue on sea days for sitting and some swimming (but never crowded--and the lounge chairs with the view, the ones by the window, do fill up quickly). In a similar nod to functionality and ease of use, Viking had the remote controls for cabin televisions specially designed so they would only have a few buttons. True, Viking requires all passengers and crew to be fully vaccinated, and masks were to be required in all indoor areas on the ship except while eating and drinking. In a previous post, I offered tips on what NOT to pack. Related: How to get a free or cheap cruise ship cabin upgrade. Just like a typical vacationing US resident in Europe, I ordered a hot dog and apple pie. Before you set sail on your next voyage, we cover everything you need to know before taking a Viking Ocean cruise to ensure smooth sailing. Youll need them for swimming in the heated pool, or during the time you spend in the Nordic Sauna or Snow Grotto. Keeping the weather in mind, take a couple of pairs of slacks, jeans, or leggings for most destinations. Try to bring lightweight items that dont add bulk or heft to your suitcase. Priority spa treatment bookings that can be made 80 days in advance. For formal nights on Princess Cruises, acceptable formal wear includes an evening gown, cocktail dress, or pantsuit for ladies and a suit, combination, or dinner jacket for gentlemen. TIP: Bottled water is included at no extra charge on Viking Cruises and youll probably want to carry a bottle of water with you on shore excursions. These excursions are typically walking tours or city bus tours. Some of these activities include a daily port talk, as well as enrichment seminars and lecturers. Please click below to add it to your favorite Pinterest board for reference later. Every Viking stateroom comes with its own balcony, which you know from a prior McCool Travel article: 8 Great Reasons Viking Cruises Are a Fantastic Value. Packing the right clothing was a challenge (how chilly is it actually going to be and how much rain are we going to get are hard to guess in advance) but I think that in the end we did an okay job of choosing exactly what went into the suitcase. Our favorites on Viking Jupiter were the Aurora Experience and Hidden Universe. However, this also means that you will probably be tired. 862 817 892. Because of airline baggage weight limitations, limit your packing to the essentials. You can not make reservations ahead of time. (Figure-flattering Miraclesuits are a favorite of mine. Women should pack a bathing suit and for men, bathing trunks. The same is true for ordering drinks at the bars and lounges. You can also make additional reservations, depending on availability, once you board the ship. This covers essentially all drinks except specialty cocktails in Torshavn. None of these drinks will be covered in the Silver Spirits Package. No one thinks about rainy days when they are fantasizing about their next vacation but rain can happen any time, any place. The Viking Orion, Viking Jupiter, and soon to be released Viking Venus, all feature a new complimentary experience called the Explorers Dome. Just before boarding the plane, the fanny pack will be stuffed into the backpack (and pulled back out again once onboard). But Norway in April will be COLD! Take plenty of warm clothing! I went in March and the streets were a sheet of ice. In the north the sea was frozen. I would LOVE to take a Viking Ocean cruise! While this was the most intrusive protocol to our daily comfort, we were happy to comply. Find blankets for cooler temps and towels for warmer times in the relatively quietsitting area on level 8 aft. WebOur expert Viking Ocean Cruises Viking Sea review breaks down deck plans, the best rooms, dining, and more. And oh I might break down and get dressier slacks that I can then wear to the office afterwards. You also have a writing desk, plenty of outlets, including USB ports on each side of the bed, a flat screen television with simple controls, and a coffee maker. [emoji1]. And in the off-chance you forgot to wear your mask, Viking staff were quick to serve a gentle reminder. We love the reading lights built into the fabric headboards of beds, which come in addition to the lamps on bedside tables. 1. McCool Travel note: Viking Ocean Cruises now has several ocean ships and they are pretty much identical. Like this McCool Travel article? If so, Viking could be your line. }); Have you sailed with Viking Cruises? This feature is known as a French balcony or Juliet balcony (a nod to the balcony of this type made famous in Shakespeares Romeo and Juliet). Luckily, we had onboard credit that we spent sampling some of these premium options. Theres an adjacent pantry that can be used by staff serving room service or catering hosted events. it is very awesome thought to do these things in cruise trip. Still, even on Vikings river ships, most cabins are balcony cabins. Viking keeps it simple with the array of balcony cabins on its ocean ships. This compensation may impact how and where products appear on this site (including, for example, the order in which they appear). katmu, May 29, 2016 in Viking Ocean. Watch the Bridge Cam from the comfort of your bed. WebOn day 6 of the cruise I put on a long billowy white linen button down and red lipstick and suddenly people were MUCH friendlier to me, like a night and day difference. Last cruise we took was RC and i jumped in expecting fresh water to be surprised by sea water LOL. WebOur expert Viking Ocean Cruises Viking Sea review breaks down deck plans, the best rooms, dining, and more. In general, avoid crowds by doing things when other people are not. Your own ear buds will be more comfortable and likely have better sound quality. On Vikings traditional ocean ships, there are 47 suites broken down into three categories: The Penthouse Junior Suites measure 405 square feet, including their balcony space, and come with such extra amenities and services as: In addition to a bed area, Penthouse Junior Suites have a large sitting area with a sofa, coffee table and chairs, and a separate television.