(top and bottom). Youre correct, but because I learned on western style tools, thats what I use. 0. Do you strop on leather glued to a board or using a buffing wheel? They can have sockets or tangs and vary to every length. Illustration of three Swan and one Greenlee framing chisels. Its common to refer to longer firmer chisels with a socket just as firmer chisels. Mark known on: #64-1/2, #65, #66, #72, #77, #92. Great information; thanks for all your hard work.I just found a marking gauge, a no. Based on these samples, G. Wood patents, and information provided As such, there is no loss of energy between the hammer and the cutting edge. I cant really understand using one for paring, unless you wanted to fill out a set of pairing chisels past 2 in, but Im not a timberframer. These chisels have either leather washers on the handles for a cap for use with a wooden mallet or have a steel cap on the end of the handle for striking with a metal hammer. We have created these special content collections organized to give you a deep dive A2 steel does hold an edge a bit better, but it makes for much harder honing. Stanley Chisel .Rustic Farmhouse . "Everlasting" Bevel Edge Butt Chisel catalog as shown to the left. I own a couple sets of these chisels (I purchased them for my sons), and they work pretty well.not perfect, but good enough for beginners. The handles of all three models were hickory. Shorter blade, often with a stockier handle. Although I did not ask the question, I often wondered what the different Stanley number designations meant also. The oft maligned Stanley #60 "Stanloid" yellow plastic handled chisels were sold for a significant premium over the #750s; check out the 1941 Stanley catalog; the premium averaged about 36% - how about that. and they have the clear coated handle. Ive found the edges to hold pretty well, but I still want to give these a few more months of use with my woodworking students before I can give a big thumbs up. You can pare with normal bevel edge chisels, but paring chisels can help with creating smoother joints. However, that wont be a huge issue if you are diligent at using a leather strop quite often (every couple minutes of use). Rare & Exc, PRE-STANLEY Woodworking chisel handles come in different styles and different materials. Different steel? Did stanley tool co ever have a S with a line over the top for their identification marks, Your email address will not be published. well the comment about the 750, 740, 720 being firmer, butt, and bench size is incorrect, the 750 is a cabinet or bevel chisel, nut a butt chisel, and the length of the 740 is not longer than the 750, i have both, of the samwe size in NOS condition and the 750's are by NO MEANS a "butt chisel". I just read in The Anarchists Tool Chest by Christopher Schwarz that they require diamond stones to sharpen. You may be familiar with their kitchen knives, they are popular in the culinary world and known for quality knives. Though, maybe thatRead more . DollsNBooksNThings. They are much stronger than the smaller and weaker Sash mortise chisels that are carried by most modern manufacturers, including Lie-Nielsen Toolworks (see the Lie-Nielsen sash mortise chisels here). Woods. Others like a bevel-edge as it gives clearance for pairing in dovetails and like spaces. The patent referred to on this mark is U.S. Patent #36973 by Frederick Traut (father of Justus Traut, holder of many Stanley patents). This list of vintage and modern woodworking chisel makers will help you searchfor quality western-style bench chisels, mortise chisels, and paring chisels (sorry, Im not listing Japanese chisels). Still unsure about hand tools, especially chisels. In the United States, the words " tools and hardware " and "Stanley" are almost synonymous. Assuming that is true, and that we want as hard as possible, does that mean that a file will mark a bad chisel, but skate from a good one? Any product claim about a service or product should be verified with the manufacturer. I give this advice even for mortise chisels. Older ones were marked on the socket with the following3 lines, Stanley, No. Unfortunately I havent been able to find any information as far as when the full PATENTED 1872 was used vs. the abbreviated PAT 72 stamp. Many have hooped or at least capped handles. The No.25, 45 & 55 Square edge models came later. This is the original patent for the 2-armed mortise gauge. | Radius Gauges |, Wood Pre-Craft (Drying, Identification, Selection, etc. What I havent been able to find much on is the model number 177. Those are German J. Top notch! 1919 Stanley Rule & Level Company buys out Gage Tool Co. Either way, you got a hell of a deal. Click the below links to find antique Stanley chisels on eBay: There are so many bad chisels out there (usually new chisels)and a lot of chisel-looking things that I wont even classify as a chisel. But many hand tool woodworkers opt for a weaker mortise chisel without even knowing it. Make a small mark on the upper part of the handle lightlywith a pencil so you can align it with the top of the chisel each time you put the handle in. Butt Chisels [] are made short, because of the purpose required of them: fitting in butts on doors. I feel like Im listening to a very knowledgeable and trusted friend. What are the 3 Main Types of Woodworking Chisels?, 4. They have consistent steel all the way through. My favorite mortise chisel size is 3/8 not too small and not too big. This confuses me, however, because the price of the new Ray Iles chisel is three times that of the beefier antique pit sticker chisels. I am no expert at all but thought it might add some info. Thanks for your input. 750/720 line off. Stanley # 40 $9.30 shipping. The average woodworker may never be able to tell the difference. Examples of Firmer Chisels from 1911 Swan Catalog. So, a longer chisel (a 720) without the number on it, when used and sharpened a lot could be as short as a 750 and no one would know whether it was orginally a 720 length or 750 length. Stanley Adjustable Concave Circular Plane Image Credit There are certain tools that are very old, very rare and very desirable. 2023 The Taunton Press, Inc. All rights reserved. Is this because Stanley wanted the 740 to have a slightly thinner profile than the others, so they ground the blade below the socket? Originally Posted by Richard Shaefer. I have a very limited knowledge, only one class when I was in 8th grade and that was a long time ago. 72. and is slightly off center and up-side-down above the bar. Another thing you said that was Incorrect was that you implied that the 720, 740, 750 chisels came with a sweetheart logo on them, they never did, only the Everlasting Chisels had the sweetheart logo on them for a few years during the "sweetheart" era, which Stanley never called it that, the SW is the owner of the times initials, and the marking with the SW and heart was to remember him as he passed away, so for about a decade stanley marked their planes and chisels and just about everything with SW and the heart. other tools in. The Defiance chisels are garbage, the steel is inferior, you can tell these chisels because they are marked "defiance" made in usa on the socket by the handle (in the same place as the 750's) these like all defiance products are made of inferior materials, in mine and other peoples (one of them being chris schwarz) experience this is always true of the ones marked "defiance" THIS IS NOT however true with the "D" chisels. Are the way those chisels used just not as important? O/W. This was extremely helpful as someone completely new to any form of wood working. Im sure Asian chisels are wonderful, but they arent as readily available here in the U.S. as western-style. 1/4, 3/8, 1/2, 5/8, 3/4, 7/8, 1, 1-1/4, 1-1/2, 1-3/4, 2. And, that is consistent with John Walters' info. Share Qty Sold Gallery Description more about that later. Love the website. Everlasting No.40 - 1/4"" Bevel . Sometimes the only difference in a valuable collectible and a four dollar vintage Stanley plane is one of the numbers on the patent. Certain brands may not always be listed on eBay, so check back from time-to-time. 50 EVERLASTING Chisels - 81087 $ 195.00 Item #: 81087 GOOD condition with FINE handles. Clockworks are made up of a collection of gears (calledwheelsin clock parlance) that convert the Identifying Antique Stanley Marking Gauges. The blade, measuring 8 inches in length, is of extra heavy cross section and is made of solid steel. He had a set of Stanley 750's, possibly the most iconic of American style bench chisels. Here is also where the clear coated oak handle comes from, these chisels both came with the clear coated oak handles, and when you see a 7 series with a clear handle I speculate it is a replacement taken from one of these 2 varieties. and not worry that Ill be getting into softer steel? Woodworking chisels are used for so many different steps in making wood joints. Have a set of 12 chisels with this inscription on it. I have heard that these were very rare specimens. For general use, honed at 25-30. Either random chisels, or matching sets. Joshua, thank you for a great article. Hello Michael, you should be fine with Stanley 750 chisels. Sources are noted in the captions and links can be found at the bottom of the page. Its hard to go wrong buying an antique chisel, tang or socket style. Any experience or opinions with Footprint chisels? Most terminology that applies to chisels also applies to gouges. The backs are flat, but the hickory handles are finished with clear lacquer, Sorry, but Ive had no experience with these chisels. (1990 second edition.) The main type of wood chisels that youll want to buy when first getting started in traditional woodworking are bench chisels, mortise chisels, and paring chisels. I try to not spread bad press on other companies. Here are my chisel racks with a lot of mixed and matched antique wood chisels: I have purchased many antique woodworking chisels, and the quality of steel is almost always superior to what comes in modern woodworking chisels. The patent referred to on this mark is U.S. Patent #141475 by Justus Traut, which covers the adjustable point used on Stanley gages. Stanley made Everlasting Chisels for O.V.B. For appearance see the image above. Washington Cutlery Company, later Village Blacksmith, A Planer? Either style should work just fine if treated well. 12 / 20 Martin J. Donnelly Auctions Ohio No. To the collector however, the 750 marking is essential, hence the huge difference in price. Which do people prefer? I am trying to put together a set of Stanley 720 chisels. These are thick bladed with a large bolster fitted over an oval handle. hand planes, chisels, saws, mechanic, machinist, blacksmith, anvils, vises, patented tools, tool sets, collectibles & more. I bought it because Fine Woodworking Magazine contributor Chris Gochnour recommended them as a best value set. Illustration of Paring chisels from a White 1913 catalog. 70 1/2 SLITTING GAUGE in an old toolbox that I got from an estate sale. Man cave decor Ad vertisement by DollsNBooksNThings. Christopher Schwarz said of the vintage (not new) Stanley 750 chisels, Without a doubt, the out-of-production Stanley 750 chisel is one of the most well-designed cabinetmaking chisels ever made. I had to shape them a bit on the lathe, but you can do it with sandpaper. Angeles, WA. The toe is broad, flat rib cast into it. Everlasting No.40 - 1/4"" Bevel You can either buy a wood chisel set with five to ten bevel-edge bench chisels, or acquire different antique bench chisels in the common sizes. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission, which supports our community. Hope you have time to consider mine. 98 SW dual beam marking gauge with the wheel cutters. Edge Cabinet Millerton, PA. Posts. Great article Joshua! Ive really loved having a good sturdy leather chisel roll to hold my wood chisels when I travel, or even in the workshop. Its not necessary, but it is convenient to grab a chisel off the wall. No. However, with a 20 degree angle and thin steel, they should never be used with a mallet. ), Id recommend that you try and piece together some antique bench chisels, in useful sizes for furniture making. I stop on a piece of leather glued to a board. 1 : 1911-1920 : . Mark assumed on: #0, #62, #64-1/4, #70, #71, #72, #264-1/2. thought I knew a bit about chisels, after reading this article, found I knew very little..thank you. 20 , 40 and 50's is kept handy right above my tool bench asgiven Years ago I pieced together seven antique 750 chisels for this set: 1/4, 1/2, 5/8, 3/4, 1, 1-1/4, and 1-1/2. Here is one excellent link I found. They are somewhat affordable, but for some strange reason I get constant complaints from students about how these mortise chisels tend to twist in the hand when the mallet hits it, causing the mortises to expand. Wood Chisel Co. Also, you most certainly wont need to purchase a whole set of mortise chisels. Or Sash-Mortise chisel. Yes, sets look nice and uniform, and I have several chisel sets, but you dont always see the old school furniture makers with a shiny set of matching chisels. You can certainly get along with fewer than seven chisels to start with (perhaps four, as I mentioned above) and add more as needed on projects. When assessing the quality of an antique or vintage socket-fitted chisel that lacks a handle, look carefully at the chisel's cuff, which is the opening at the bottom of the chisel. Made with an oak frame and panels of plywood with curly Sizes: 1/4, 3/8, 1/2, 3/4, 1, 1-1/4, 1-1/2 inch widths Below, in the chisel buyers guide section, I talk about specific models, sizes, and styles of chisels you need and which you dont! Ive learned a bit in writing this and no doubt will continue to discover information on chisel types. I really appreciate the generous nature of your wealth of knowledge. I cant say for sure. Says "butt chisel" on the box. The brand names below are linked to eBay & other searches so you can compare prices & models. The head of the hammer is a separate piece from the handle, which is typically made of hickory but in recent years has been produced out of fiberglass and other synthetic materials. 3/8 and 1/4 mortise chisels work great with standard board thicknesses of 3/4 or 7/8. (they are NOT firmer chisels as said by the other poster, what makes a "firmer" chisel is non-beveled blades, the edges of the blades on all stanley chisels are beveled, firmer chisels are not beveled at all). link to How Mechanical Pendulum Clocks Work, How to use Fillet Gauges? Nice list of Anglosaxon (!) I am very happy to know what I have now finally. and 4 in. Oval back is laid steel, others solid cast steel. 720s being thelongest. "Everlasting" Bevel Edge Cabinet Chisel I have a Stanley No. Most manufacturers back then seemed to have the right recipe! Which 20 Woodworking Hand Tools Should You Buy First? Pushed across the work to slice, not strike or lever. I was wondering, like Ive heard about plane blades, like bobbert mentioned, if the hardness of the chisel is consistent throughout the length. I would like to hear from some folks who are though. Examples of Butt Chisels from 1911 Swan Catalog. This is an inked mark of Stanley in block letters. I added 5 new-found Swedish chisel brands to the list above and made a new post about them. It is basically identical to the previous mark, but it uses a different font for the number. Im all set up with water stones and will likely go with Lie Nielsens chisels. Save my name and email in this browser for the next time I comment. Here's a couple more photos, but difficult to get the detail. The lever cap has a kidney-shaped hole replacing the old symmetrical keyhole-shaped hole. I have enough of all three which show that to be true. This often happens when someone strikes a wood chisel with a metal hammer. Get instant access to over 100 digital plans available only to UNLIMITED members. Here is a link that you may find helpful: I was just looking for a source for this canon logo last week and finally found it on another chisel. What a great article Joshua, just out and the comments are overflowing! Im trying to choose between them and the Lie Nielsen ones when I upgrade my bench chisels. Have you ever used any vintage Keen Kutters? My collection of Everlasting Chisels which includes graduated sizes on 1918 Combination Squares added to the Stanley line. Using a very sharp chisel as a scraper simply scrape off the graphite marks. its maker is C. Hill. The maker would appear to be Titan. Let it dry, insert it into the socket, hold the shank and give the chisel handle a couple of good firm whacks with a carver's mallet and voila! Czech tool maker Narex recently released a new chisel set to the hand tool woodworking world called the Narex Richter chisels. Medium is a relative term, so if I know a dollar amount I can help you out. Bench chisels usually shouldnt be used to chop mortises, and when being used to chop dovetails, I stop hitting the chisel when too much resistance is met.