ebula (onion) 5. Okay, take that with a grain of salt. The Ukrainian language is closely related to Russian and Belarusian. But even though these points might make Ukrainian a little tougher than say, Spanish, it's just a question of putting in a little more work. From the little bit of Dutch that Ive looked at on LingQ, I dont think it would be difficult to learn. The Serbo-Croatian language standard has existed officially since 1850 Wienna Language Agreement. Reading with a dictionary can be done as an exercise in intensive reading, where you do it for one page per session for example. So, you need to be absolutely sure you want to study that language. Stress is almost always on the penultimate (next-to-last) syllable, while in Ukrainian it isnt fixed. As a complete beginner in Ukrainian, you might want to start with an audio course like Pimsleur. A lot of people may think that Polish will take a long time to learn. Once you learn the rules, you should be able to guess how a word is pronounced. Its not the more popular foreign language to learn. Sara, Please name ONE difference in grammar. If you're not entirely satisfied with how things are going with your tutor, or if you disagree on the approach or something else, never hesitate to find someone else! The milestones are 25.000, 50.000 and 75.000 reps. Ukraine has a great literary tradition and there are many great books worth reading. Learn the language in order to visit and experience the differences you don't know about. But to be honest, you want to learn Czech; and if you want to learn Czech - learn Czech! I recommend that you take charge of your tutoring sessions. Are you interested in pets? Previously also known as Ruthenian, Ukrainian is an East Slavic language of the Indo-European language family. Russia produces lots of excellent audio books, which can be found online. We all talk the same language.. New to the sub or want to post? Learning Ukrainian you will speak Ukrainian. I am learning Persian at the same time. All posts copyright their original authors. The Polish alphabet includes certain additional letters formed using diacritics: the kreska in the letters , , , , and through the letter in ; the kropka in the letter , and the ogonek (little tail) in the letters , . Then go look for articles on gardening. LitRes is a great resource for things Russian. Its certainly a great read if it received such prestigious awards. Some people say if you have a thousand words you understand 70% of any context. Audioteka has great resources for many languages, including a number of Slavic ones. Theres an abundance of books that you can download and import into LingQ. This is a subreddit for people looking to learn Ukrainian and all things related to Ukrainian language and culture. Many letters look similar to the Latin letters you already know, so you should be able to master it in a couple of days. But you CAN become fluent in it if you lay out a plan from the beginning to the end. Eaiser than english and much easier than all other languages in terms of finding content you like. With Czech Ive found this history series. Discovering Polish culture and getting a degree at the same time is a great reason to learn Polish. Don't let the perceived difficulty of the language stop you from gaining more opportunities or forming meaningful relationships and connections with others. Very difficult, first learn Russian, then Carpathian. I'm interested in philosophy and history, but if I were to read that kind of thing in a language I was learning, I'd be having to deal with understanding the concepts as well as the foreign language. It can, however, be quite intimidating to get started. Now, is Ukrainian more difficult than other languages? Perhaps you could even go to Ukraine and catch one? You will be able to talk (and sing!) Start with one and just see where that leads you. Have a look at Voroshilovgrad, a crazy road novel by Serhiy Zhadan that plays with different genres and makes for an exciting read. You can either import your own texts into LingQ or you can study the material that is already available in their archive. Then You can learn Ukrainian, Polish, Romainian very easy. You can really understand Polish history if you speak the language. Did you know that bilingual employees earn more? Ukrainian is a fascinating language with a long history of foreign influences. 2. I started learning Russian 10 years ago partly because that was the most widely spoken of the Slavic languages, but also because I had been exposed to Russian literature as a teenager and wanted to read those books in the original language. This isn't because of linguistics but because of politics and history . Sure, it's got 7 grammatical cases like Polish. Archived post. The thing is why russian is good. The system is laid out in such a way that you're gradually introduced to vocabulary and grammar through context. The Polish alphabet includes certain additional letters formed using, in the letters , , , , and through the letter in ; the, With respect to pronunciation, it is pretty regular in Polish. If you go through the alphabet a couple of times per day for 2-3 days, it'll suffice to learn the alphabet. With Nina Feldman. However, this decision is truly personal. Geographically, they are located first and foremost in Russia, and there its not just ethnic Russians who are Russian speakers, but the many minority peoples of Russia. Your email address will not be published. I am a Croatian and Ive never heard about the existence of Serbo-Croatian language. Earning more money is definitely a respectable reason to learn Polish. It teaches you useful words and phrases. I have my group of romance languages with Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, French and, of course, Romanian, which is a bit of an outlier. 3. Generally if a subject or theme is difficult to grasp when you read it in English, not because of vocabulary, but because of the subject matter being difficult; Don't bother reading it in Ukrainian. The blog switched servers and so some comments had to be approved again. I studied Russian first and I would recommend that. Your brain gets happy, and it'll just love that word a little more, and it'll be so much harder to forget. If everybody speaks French, nobodys special. I'm a great advocate of always doing multiple courses or approaches at the same time when studying foreign languages. As soon as you know how each individual letter is pronounced, you can read out loud in Ukrainian. There are countless more reasons why learning Polish can benefit you. Here's everything you need to know if you want to learn Ukrainian fast. Edited by Liz O. Baylen and Mike Benoist. So which other course should you do in parallel with Teach Yourself Ukrainian? In a way, you'll have created a relationship with that word, and that makes for many more synapses in your brain, which helps you learn the word much better than a "neutral" dictionary-lookup would. Michael has been an avid language learner and traveler for many years. Russian imperialist. Lastly, go through the Ukrainian phrases one by one, pausing the recording to repeat out loud. real-life conversations and so much more. 1. So, overall, there are even more than 40 million Polish speakers worldwide. Its definitely worth learning Polish to reap these benefits. Constantly looking up things in a dictionary is extremely frustrating. How is it possible that Croat speaking Croatian can understand a Serb speaking Serbian 100% while only understanding about 85-90% of a Croat speaking Croatian from a different region? Personally, I love Polish. Stress is almost always on the penultimate (next-to-last) syllable, while in Ukrainian it isnt fixed. Polish: Pros: my greatgrandfather speaks it, as well as some people in my family. Google Dictionary is a browser extension that you can download for the Chrome browser, but there are alternatives for other browsers as well. Did you know we have a language learning app? These are quickly done. Here is an example: I am a Croat from Bosnia, I grew up in a town of Banjaluka. But, they also speak Polish outside of Poland. Polish, as well as Ukrainian, is a highly. You can find eBooks and audiobooks for Czech. As soon as you will know how to pronounce each individual Ukrainian letter, you will also be able to read out loud in Ukrainian. Today we have an unprecedented ability to learn about many things without going very far. Are you excited to learn Ukrainian? Ukrainian and Russian: How Similar Are These Two Languages? Don't worry if you mumble at first of if it's difficult. It is also perfectly all right to just learn one and stop with one. Ukrainian is an Eastern Slavic language related to Russian, Belorussian and Polish. However, you dont have to get discouraged. This makes Ukrainian as hard to learn as Polish, Icelandic or Finnish. And then what? It also comes with audio, which is extremely important when you learn Ukrainian by yourself. Ukrainian or Polish: What language should I learn? The award-winning app uses a fast and highly efficient learning method that will almost literally glue the Ukrainian language into your brain. Ukrainian lands have always been ethnically and culturally diverse. Get used to the sound of the Polish language. I have read that DNA wise Bulgarians are Slavicised Turks, therefore not actually Slavs perhaps they retained some of there original language & added on some Slavic elements. Both Polish and Ukrainian orthography is largely. My current area of concentration is the Middle East. For more information, please see our So, a lot of people learn these languages. You can find Polish food shops, and listen to Polish radio stations in the United States. So if you do a lot now, you'll be creating a mountain of revisions for later! But, of course, no one will admit that. I know the cyrillic alphabet already. It is spoken by over 40 million people in . 4. If you pick a translation, the word color will change to yellow. Historically as I understand it (although I have not studied this question), the Orthodox Church and Old Church Slavonic had a major influence on the evolution of Slavic languages. As I already speak Russian, Ukrainian grammar was very familiar but the vocabulary was not obvious as it is a lot closer to Polish than I had expected. From the beginning until Mongolian Invasion. This book was originally published in Polish under the title Bieguni. Whatever the reason, the fact is they are all quite similar but completly individual languages with its own grammar and vocabulary. Even through you do your revisions, you study a lot and you are diligent - there's just nothing like seeing stuff you've already touched upon in another context. Do it out loud, with the same intonation, speed and rhythm! One of the reasons why Ukrainian is a little bit harder to learn is its alphabet. German, than many consider difficult has 4. Dach (roof). So, as I mentioned, Glossika will schedule the sentences you study to be reviewed. 3. However, sadly, theyre often not translated. You'll hear the sentence again later. Polish is the official language of Poland. What are you talking about? One is Italki. LingQ offers a lot of different things, but in my opinion, one of its strongest assets is the app and the built in reader. Another thing that I firmly believe is that culture and language are not in any way associated with our genes or DNA, so language doesnt equal some kind of ethnic division necessarily. All books are available in paper, ebook and audio versions. Hanzi were adapted to fit Japanese, and you still have two writing systems (minimum) to learn unique to Japanese. How is it possible that Croat speaking Croatian can understand a Serb speaking Serbian 100% while only understanding about 85-90% of a Croat speaking Croatian from a different region. Take Your First Lesson Free Consisting of 33 letters just 7 more than the Latin alphabet, the Cyrillic script is closely based on the Greek alphabet, augmented with letters from the older Glagolitic alphabet. I recommend that you do something between 5-20 new sentences a day. And knowing (upper) intermediate Polish gives you in Poland +10 points to respect, even if with the same person you could speak in English. The rich soil and vast fields of wheat and other crops helped earn Ukraine its nickname as the "Breadbasket of Europe." Today, its population numbers just more than 45 million. Moreover, the months of the year do not come from the Roman gods (like in most Indo-European languages, including Russian) but from the natural elements that characterize each period: 1. Whether you choose to find a language partner or a tutor, with a dedicated approach and consistency, you're sure to reach a high level of Ukrainian. Hundreds of thousands of people speak Polish in Germany (867,000), Russia (67,400), the UK (660,000), France (275,288), and even the United States (580,153). New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast. Reaching fluency is a great sense of achievement. Presented in a natural, everyday context. Best answer: I think Polish is prettier, too; it's smooth and rhythmic, and sounds sort of like a middle ground between other Slavic languages that have more distinctive (and sometimes less appealing) sounds - for example, Czechs sound like they're from Chicago, in my opinion, and South Slavic languages aren't nearly as melodic.