The Tri-County Obituary Project Huerfano County, Pueblo County, and Las Animas County, Colorado. Bobby doesn't know us in Oklahoma, and we don't know him. Background Stoops Jr., 46, has been an assistant football coach since 1978, beginning his career at South High under his uncle, Bob Stoops. Mostly, they see the way the Gators never seem to quit coming. In lieu of flowers, memorials may be made to the Parkersburg Area Community Foundation, to the Ronald and Kathryn Stoops Fund, P.O. They look like coaches, with close-cropped hair and a certain intensity around the eyes. starts his staff workdays at 8:45 so the coaches can see their A Visitation for Ron will be held Sunday, October 30, 2022 from 1:00 - 2:00 PM at Centuries Memorial Funeral Home, 8801 Mansfield Road, Shreveport, Louisiana 71108. He was born May 19, 1941, in Saxonburg, to the late Albert J. and Rose M. (Seliga) O'Brokta Sr. Ronald lived in Allegheny Township . "We'd always be laughing and giggling going to bed," Ron Jr. Stoops has heart disease, and his father, Ron, died in 1988 at age 54 of a heart attack suffered while coaching a high school game. I learned youve got to hang in there and persevere, he says. Print Obituary. His life proceeded as most lives do, tending toward the familiar, like water flowing downhill. Tennessee. He was an ordinary person. Bay Pines - Ronald John Silva Jr., of Largo, FL passed away at the C.W. Robert Read, Pregame Editor December 7, 2021. It really helped shape a lot of what we became. Ron graduated from Newburyport High School in 1980. Clair "Dick" Stoops. Theres no question in my mind Bobs destined for greatness, said Bill Brashier, who was defensive coordinator at Iowa for 17 years before retiring in 1995. in his father. Atkins, Rodney. Mark, the youngest of the four, tried to talk Ron into joining him at Kentucky in when he took over the program 2012, but Ron declined. It doesnt happen often around here, 11 wins in this program. richesson@vindy.com. The defensive coordinator at Cardinal Mooney, Ron Sr.. His playing career ended there. Cooney, the assistant principal, recalls an especially tough kid on the team -- the kind who always gave teachers a bad time -- breaking down in tears. Ronald Brown Jr., 60, of Weirton, passed away March 16, 2023. Read more. RELATED:Iowa football team to play Kentucky in Citrus Bowl. Born February 13, 1963 in Newell, WV, he was the son of Ronald Brown Sr. of Wellsburg and the late Shirley (Mehaffey) Hood. "They worked together really well," Leach said. brother Carl and former pro boxer Ray Mancini. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Ron Jr. went into high school coaching, attracted by what he saw father, Ron Stoops, did for 30 years in Youngstown, Ohio, at The speculation is that he will succeed Hayden Fry at Iowa when Fry retires. He raises thousands of dollars that help keep the school and football team afloat. ", 2010: Youngstown State safeties coach and director of high 1958 -. "I can't tell you how hard it was on all of us," she said. In addition to his parents, Ron was preceded in death by his brother, Donald Stoops. out of high school, and he still teaches during the day at nearby He always turned them down. Ron Stoops walks through the creaky wooden door and down the concrete steps into the coaches' office at Cardinal Mooney. to coach safeties at nearby Youngstown State in the Football like a million bucks.". And the success weve had has a lot to do with the roots of Iowa, with Hayden, and coach Ferentz Just nothing but fond memories from the Hawkeye experience.. Many dinners were eaten in the dark, lit only by the projector's glow. culprit. Good friend.. he wanted to hire both Mike and Mark. They coach a lot alike, he said: "Demanding, in wanting not perfection but success in what you're trying to teach, while enjoying the players.". Bob Stoops is in his 12th season as head coach at OU. Heres why they decided against it, Kentucky Derby draw finds favorite Forte in a nice spot in the middle, Lakers-Warriors series: Plenty of story lines, but LeBron vs. Steph is No. But the way he does it is so unique. Its easy to see where their knowledge of the game started. It was a humbling experience for Ron Jr. but not an embittering one. Born Wednesday, June 2, 1943 in Chambersburg, Franklin County, he was the son of the late Daniel Clair Stoops and Martha Bumbaugh Stoops Black. Iowa coach Hayden Fry boarded a Lear jet and flew to the funeral, allowing an assistant to lead practice. He paints houses in the summer to supplement his teacher's salary. He said he never detected any difficulty between The Ron Sr. and former Mooney coach Don Bucci grew up together, and when Bucci took over the Cardinals in 1966, Ron Sr. immediately became the defensive coordinator, helping lead the Cardinals to four state titles and one runner-up finish. Just look at him out on the football field. That's what his father, Ron Stoops, did for 30 years in Youngstown, Ohio, at Cardinal Mooney High School, where Bob and his three brothers and two sisters attended. If the Stoops boys were born to be coaches, they developed a "In high school, I can do my own thing, said Stoops, whose team opens the state playoffs Saturday. Stoops remembers being a child and getting into the car with his father, Ron Stoops Sr., on crisp fall mornings to make 10-hour drives from Youngstown, Ohio, to Kinnick Stadium to watch his brothers play on the gridiron. Spending time away from family. afford him a coaching luxury denied in this world. I was heartbroken leaving him there. This was also the period when he began his 30-year career working for Arkla Gas. A bronze statue of him now occupies the lobby at Mooney. Ticket Ticker By signing up. gonna run a reverse!" Ronald Lee Johnson Sr. Obituary. Older sister Kathy Drummond said all six children - including There is much laughter and shaking of heads. when described as a great coach. "It's a rare thing.". Paid his respects to my mom and our family, and it just meant the world to us, Stoops said after Fry died at the age of 90 in 2019. To this day, Ron Jr. wonders: How did he make such an impact? game against rival Boardman High, where Ron Jr. coached then. A Celebration of Life Service will follow at 2:00 PM with Pastor Darrell Evans officiating. Our teams been through a lot this year. Hayden Fry coached the three youngest Stoops brothers at Iowa, . "My dad was never one to push anything on us," Bob said. Berry Tramel can be reached via e-mail at btramel@oklahoman.com. JOHN STOOPS OBITUARY. That's a priority.". Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information, Trea Turner might have stayed in L.A., but Dodgers never made him an offer, Chargers were supposed to draft a tight end. To get that 11th win is going to mean a lot to us. All of that changed in the late 1970s and early 80s when the mills shut down. Im very content, he says. ", Your California Privacy Rights/Privacy Policy. "He also believed that the kids have to execute and be confident at what they're doing," he added. Youngstown, where the steel industry started crumbling in the 1970s Find obituaries from your high school. Youngstown Ursuline, Canton Central Catholic, Boardman and He gives a wisp of a smile to the next question, the one people always ask. With Ron Sr. dying at 54, the boys try to stay in shape and We are sad to announce that on April 25, 2023 we had to say goodbye to Ronald John Quinn Sr. of Pittston, Pennsylvania. The Stoopses sound like a family you should know. 41 (the number Bob, Mike, and Mark all wore) Iowa football jersey neatly folded next to him in the casket. That was how I started coaching.. His lineage is defense, but Kiffin is an offensive whiz kid. There are several reasons Ron Jr. might give when asked about staying in Youngstown. Once upon a time, his father had done the exact same thing. I thought it might be fun, he said. Notably, Stoops' father Ron Stoops Sr. -- a high school football coach -- died at 54 after experiencing chest pains on the sideline of a football game in 1988. Its something I learned, and I didnt even know it, when I was probably 7 or 8 years old. Kathy Drummond was watching ESPN's report of Stoops' hiring when the news sunk in: "Oh my gosh," she told herself, "that's Bobby.". He helped the Gators win their first national championship with a defense that set a school record with six defensive touchdowns. Lydia Rosalie (Ketzler) Stoops. Seeing the black and gold Hawkeye uniforms on the opposite sideline will be a strange feeling for Stoops, who grew up rooting for Iowa. We never know if this will happen again,'" Ron Jr. said. what are bob stoops sons doingcalifornia fish grill green goddess dressing ingredients. "Our dad epitomized what assistant coaches are about. They dont forget where their journey began, and anyone who watched Mooney in the 1970s and 80s also understands how it happened. Hayden Fry and all the assistant coaches, the people of Iowa, everybody was just so good to us during our time there, Stoops said. He was a guy who dedicated his life to it," Gleason said. something unrelated to X's and O's. Obituaries. today if he didn't.". Today's breaking news and more in your inbox, Copyright News and Sentinel | https://www.newsandsentinel.com | 519 Juliana St., Parkersburg, WV 26101 | 304-485-1891. memorial page for Harry Eugene Stoops (30 Aug 1863-14 Jul 1922), Find a Grave Memorial ID 38782229, citing Forest Hills Cemetery . John A. Stoops, Sr., of Coopersburg, died on Thursday, June 16, 2005 in St. Luke's Hospital, Fountain Hill. This year, Mooney enters the playoffs with an 8-2 record and the top ranking in its region. and more than half the population of 140,000 eventually left. The father of the now-famous Stoops brothers passed away in October of 1988. Its interesting, when we were just young boys sitting around the table, I remember watching film and (dad) would put that 16-millimeter projector on the table and go through every play and diagram it, said Mike, the second youngest of the brothers. "They're very competitive," she said, "but they'll be the first I said to him, You can relax, Dad, it looks like you guys are going to win again. . Chattanooga. In a 1985 game He died at the age of 54 and left an unexpected legacy. The Stoops' oldest brother, Ron Stoops Jr., was a high school and college assistant football coach. One of the shames, Maureen figures, is that the boys were starting to see their father in a different way. Browse Waynesboro local obituaries on Legacy.com. The afterlife, Oklahoma's Bob Stoops joked this week, might Stoops grew to like Iowa City, and Dee will never forget the telephone call they received the following fall. He was a 1956 graduate of the former William Penn High School, after which he served in the U.S. Army with the. All rights reserved. The brothers' success is nothing short of historic. "He felt Responsible for the construction of many roads and bridges, including the Whitehurst Freeway, the Tidal Basin Bridge, and an extension to the Baltimore-Washington Parkway . He turned down offers to become the head coach at Minnesota and Arkansas last year, and he declined to pursue advances from other schools. Feeling rich was important in the northeastern Ohio city of Ronald V. Stoops Obituary. The greasers, hippies, jocks, Ron Jr. recalls. YOUNGSTOWN, Ohio Ron Stoops knows you're going to ask why. Graveside Service: 10 am Thursday, May 4, 2023 at Georgia Veterans Cemetery in Glennville. Theres plenty to be proud of, considering the Stoops success. Ronald Ray Mumford, 57, of Little Rock. It's just hard.". The Stoops brothers have been part of three major college Ron was born in Frankfort on Aug. 6, 1945 the son of the late Ray and Phyllis Stoops. When Ron was gone coaching, she gave the kids space to squabble and space to make peace. Unified family Ron Stoops Sr. and wife Dee raised four boys (Ron Jr., Bob, Mike and Mark) and two girls (Kathy and Maureen) on Detroit Avenue in Youngstown. Stoops played for the Hawkeyes from 1986-88. How couldnt they become coaches? Some nights he played basketball with guys from the neighborhood. We spent critical years away from Youngstown, Mike says. Two weeks ago, Ron Jr. took his son and Kathy's two sons to Mike's Nebraska-Kansas State game. We never had a lot of money but I feel my father was the wealthiest and happiest and strongest man Ive ever come across., Mike says: I dont know if you truly appreciate that until its too late.. It didn't take long for Bob, after his playing days, to prove While Bob, Mike and Mark Stoops have coached their way to the highest levels of college football, big brother Ron remains a high school football coach in their hometown of Youngstown, Ohio. They said they discuss strategies and games on a regular basis, regardless of whos coaching where. At least one of them has coached in each of the last five BCS national title games. "I absolutely loved football," said the other Stoops sister, Kathy Drummond. Like about every parochial school in the country, attendance dropped and finances bottomed. "Great, great family time," said Carol Stoops, a small-town Iowa girl who married Bob 10 years ago and now is the First Lady of Sooner football. Obituaries can vary in the amount of information they contain, but many of them are genealogical goldmines, including information such as: names, dates, place of birth and death, marriage information, and family relationships. In nearly a decade leading the Wildcats, Stoops has amassed a record of 58-53. Bob (Oklahoma) and Mike (Arizona) Stoops have also been head coaches at the Power Five level, while Marks other brother, Ron Stoops Jr., is in his 10th year as an assistant coach at Youngstown State after a lengthy career coaching high school football like his father. Leave a sympathy message to the family in the guestbook on this memorial page of Ronald Carico Sr. to show support. They had him on a stretcher, and he was sick, Ron Jr. said. Bob Berry (1942-2023), quarterback for the Falcons and Vikings. "Bob was kind of the maverick of the family," Mike said. schoolteacher for 31 years. Well . Ron Stoops was a high school coach, his boys played, his daughters were big fans who traipsed around the practice field and his wife kept the whole show going. Until Bob went from Kansas State to Florida and split up the brothers, the family reunioned at Kansas State bowl games. Because the award worked well at the collegiate level, the foundation decided to institute one for high schools. "Like his dad.". His uncle, who coached football at nearby Youngstown South High, asked him to help. He coaches at Cardinal Mooney, where his father coached. Two days earlier, Bob turned 50. By the time they reached the emergency room, he was dead of a heart attack. Dedicated husband, father, grandfather, and friend, Ronald Gene Stroope, passed away on Thursday, October 27, 2022, after a long battle with kidney and liver disease. "He would come early and stay late, and he didn't seek any attention for himself." "But you have to get acclimated and indoctrinated into that lifestyle.". In 1988, at the end of a Stoops family matchup - Ron Sr.'s Cardinal Mooney vs. Ron Jr.'s Boardman High - Ron Sr. suffered a heart attack and died. Hes looking down and seeing it all and experiencing it all. He set up a film projector in the living room and shot the images of upcoming opponents onto the side of the refrigerator. He said, Mom and Dad, Im starting Saturday, Dee said. Born on July 1, 1929 in Wichita, Kansas to Cecil and Mary Bell (Bratcher) Ketzler. loss. Local obituaries for Tarentum, Pennsylvania. Hawkeyes. His style was a smash when he arrived at Florida in 1996. Chalk up his first mistake as the Oklahoma coach. "He understands the good of our job, but he also understands the sacrifices.".