Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information. Power Upper Element Lower Element Possible light combinations and methods to determine proper function of water heater are shown below. The Rheem Performance Plus 50 Gal. Plumbing, Piping, Water Heating, Wells, Air & Water Filtration and Conditioning, How to Prevent Ongoing Clogs in a Utility Sink, Have Power but Water heater won't heat/kick on. IMPORTANT SAFETY INFORMATION. B. Tank sizes range from 29-to 98 gallons to allow for the much-needed perfect fit. That's what we thought, and we changed all that to new, but with no luck. Since installation, I noticed that within 5 minutes in the shower (1.75 gallon per min showerhead), the temperature drops anywhere from 7 to 10 degrees. Adjust it to a higher temperature, but no higher than 120F. Heats water quick and with luck it will last half as long as older one. An electronic LED system indicates element and thermostat operation. I've also read this could be the result of a faulty expansion tank. Watt Densities: Lower watt densities mean the element stays cooler and will last longer. But you have to make sure to buy the right one. This model has a 9-year limited tank and parts warranty plus a 2-year in home labor warranty. Turn off power to the unit, if applicable, and check all pipe connections for water. If each element is on a separate thermostat the one connected to that element may be bad or the element itself may be. . 0000001748 00000 n Has 3 LED lights--power and 1 for each element. If the water heater is new, or if youve just moved into a new home and arent familiar with the water heaters capability, its likely that the unit is undersized. You can email the site owner to let them know you were blocked. . Be careful not to overtighten it. Water Connections . All information is provided "AS IS." through 120 Gal. Calling a Rheem water repair technician is an affordable way to avoid serious injury. REGULATIONS PROHIBIT THE SALE, SHIPMENT OR INSTALLATION OF THIS WATER HEATER IN A STATE THAT REQUIRES DEMAND RESPONSE WATER HEATERS. . electric water heater provides an ample supply of hot water for households with 3 to 5 people. C = 150. This unit comes with two 5500-Watt elements and an automatic thermostat which keeps the water at the desired temperature. Wiring Diagrams Therm-O-Disc Thermostats (Type 59T) DOUBLE ELEMENT SIMULTANEOUS OPERATION WITH 4 WIRE OUTLET 1 2 4 1 BLACK BLACK RED 2 HEATING ELEMENT 1 3 2 4 2 4 1 4 1 4 1 4 2 3 1 3 2 4 2 4 2 2 1 1 2 2 2 2 LOWER HEATING ELEMENT LOWER THERMOSTAT FIG. Adam Dudley, kasten39828 CAUTION: The presence of water in the piping and water heater does not provide sufficient conduction for a ground. The Lower light did not light right away. Replace fuse or reset circuit breaker. Related Parts Pages:Rheem Air Conditioner Parts, Rheem Furnace Parts, Rheem Water Heater Parts. Description: This recall involves Rheem brand "Performance Platinum" electric water heaters in 40, 50 and 80 gallon capacities. They sometimes burn out. Most manufacturers recommend changing the lower thermostat setting, while leaving the upper thermostat at the factory setting. Use the wrench to continue tightening it one-quarter to one-half of a turn. Was this answer helpful? Relief Valve Insulation Installation ! The purpose of an insulation blanket is to reduce the standby heat loss encountered with storage tank heaters. Thank you for the diagram - I will do some more testing with my meter. The fittings are electro zinc plated and polypropylene lined. This small collection of items will assist you in Rheem water heater troubleshooting and possibly making a repair. All models shipped in simultaneous configuration. What make is your HW heater? The Power to Control: integrated EcoNet Wi-Fi enables management of water temperature, tracking of energy usage and monitoring from your phone. This is normal for heat trap fittings when in operation and does not indicate a need for service. The water leak from the top heating element wasn't tightened enough. Copyright 1995-document.write(new Date().getFullYear()) MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. . Yeah, your lower element is broken, you just need to buy a new one and replace it. Installing the water heater. otate the crossbar up and down until it breaks away R from the remainder of the cavity insert. Wiring checks out okay. If additional, information is required, refer to the section on, 50 gal. This unit comes with two 4500-Watt elements and an automatic thermostat which keeps the water at the desired temperature. Replaced a less than three year old water heater of the exact same model due to the bottom rusting out. Before taking the Rheem water heater pressure relief valve below, its worth remembering the potential dangers burns from hot water or the tank, shock from electrical connections and the risk of a gas leak or carbon monoxide leak from gas models. 1) Power on and bottom element presently heating water. Installing the water heater. Slip the insulation cover over the T&P Valve through the center hole and align the hole in the side with the opening of the T&P Valve. Changed lower element which blew. Related Repair Pages:Rheem Air Conditioner Repairs, Rheem Furnace Repairs, Rheem Water Heater Repairs. thanks. The Power to Know: detect potential leaks with the 360 LeakSense Leak Detection system. 208 Volt 8 kW Multi Phase Field Convertible Electric Tank Water Heater, Electronic LED system indicates element and thermostat operation, Make sure it fits: measure your space to ensure dimensions fit, WA Residents see disclaimer below before purchasing. . Cavity Insert Instructions The following instructions are intended for qualified service personnel ONLY, and should only be done when necessary. You checked the fuses to those lines? The Rheem Performance Line. Are the factory installed in/out pipes dielectric? Turn it all the way to Off, and then turn it to the On position. . 0000018992 00000 n Old water heater had internal leak not noticed until it was leaking all over. Simple and easy to read. No it can not. PAGE 15 213.32.24.66 How to Check the Continuity on a Water Heater Element, How to Change a Heating Element on a Kenmore Elite HE3 Dryer, CNET: How to Adjust the Temperature of Your Water Heater, Rheem: Non Simultaneous Operation - Double Element Water Heaters, How to grow your own herb garden in any indoor or outdoor space, How to Adjust the Temp on a Rheem Water Heater, How to Insulate Water Heaters Exposed in a Garage, How to Fix the Thermostat on a Hot Water Heater. The upper element heats the upper portion of the water column. D 2 LOWER HEATING ELEMENT LOWER HEATING ELEMENT LOWER HEATING ELEMENT FIG. Nice appliance. 2000-2022 Home Depot. Hi, . Your manual should have a parts list in it, or you can find one online. . What else have you checked? I should note that my water heater has indicator lights on the outside so you can see when a given element is running, and we had noted that the upper element NEVER seemed to run, and even when I turned the upper all the way to 150 and the bottom all the way down, it would not send power to the upper element. Rumbling noiseWater conditions in your home caused a build up of scale or mineral deposits on the heating elements. Be sure to read and understand the entire Use and Care Manual before attempting to install or operate this water heater. Not enough or no hot waterWater usage may have exceeded the capacity of the water heater. 0000021356 00000 n That night the water was nice and hot. If the thermostat is set above 120F, turn it down to that temperature or lower. Dual 5500 or dual 4500 watt copper heating elements. 0000008181 00000 n They tell you to get an answer from a tech and fill out a form they'll charge you a dollar. Brand new water heater was defective. Caution: Its recommended that you set the thermostat no higher than 120 degrees Fahrenheit to reduce the risk of severe burns from scalding. 0000082488 00000 n The Power to Protect: Features the LeakGuard Auto Shutoff Valve, which engages in the unlikely event a leak is detected, to protect your home from water damage. The upper one heats the water in the upper part of the tank first. 110 v to the lower red wired line but no voltage to the black wired line. Performance. . The manual has detailed instructions. Use of this site is subject to certain Terms Of Use. Water Temperature Setting ! The upper and lower elements take turns heating the water, you will never have power to both at the same time. Just installed it about 3 weeks ago, so far so good! Rheem. . Click to reveal If your hot water tank is only producing lukewarm water and both the elements read right and you set the temp to the hottest it can get you probably have a leak somewhere. . Nice appliance. water connections are included with the water heater for easy installation. Price and it working good. Do not plug the relief valve outlet. DoItYourself.com, founded in 1995, is the leading independent home improvement and repair website. I tested the new thermostat with a meter and it had started exhibiting the same problem - would not engage upper element. racknrollapa, Feb 16, 2020 by In order to drain the water heater, turn off the cold water supply. 1) Power on and heating cycle complete. Call us 844-262-5082 The Rheem Performance Plus is a water heater available in gas and electric models. @kasten39828. 0000001833 00000 n These water heater are either complete junk or HomeDepot received a batch of crap. Easily convert standard models from simultaneous to non-simultaneous and single phase to 3 phase. This model comes with 2 4500-Watt stainless steel heating elements. . Safety Information Safety Precautions. Problem Possible Causes What To Do Rumbling noise Water conditions in your home caused a build up of scale or mineral deposits on the heating elements. Short models are available. It was easy to install and it works great! They are available in 3kW through 12kW and in 208-Volt, 240-Volt, 277-Volt and 480-Volt. 240 Volt 8 kW Multi Phase Field Convertible Electric Tank Water Heater, Commercial Light Duty 30 Gal. 0000001863 00000 n Press and held the reset button for 10 seconds and the automatic shutoff cycles read more. Cold water inlet temperature may be colder during the winter months. Had it for about a month now. Area free of flammable vapors. Product Brochure. Once I knew it was working I re-set the upper one to the desired temperature. 3, 4 FOR YOUR RECORDS Write the model and serial numbers here: # # You can find them on a label on the appliance. The thermostat may be set set too low. A check valve located in the cold water inlet line can cause what is referred to as a closed water system. Thank you Home Depot. I have one doing the same thing replaced everything but top element don't get hot enough to turn bottom element on, Jan 17, 2019 by Contact the water supplier or plumbing contractor on how to correct this. We had 9 people at our home over Christmas and never had a hot water issue. :FWsjKrWj.Y;TbM}2Q4)4,fg22(%m^S[spkP)2O":wt+)cGrdDihU[)'k=7U"Y_n6KI\!TdHlo]P88wmk2;U M=79J'X,(khGq?!t6 A6j :.tkV"OfKBGv|x}lRk.J KC?(E/M8U#$2P So I just put a new element in causetop read 240 bottom 110 so figured lower element was bad baught new one right on looked on water heater and now lower one reads nothing have checkedbreaker there fine any help! . . . Electric service to your home may be interrupted. Sometimes the first shower of the morning would be piping hot, but other times it would be lukewarm. Less than 10 years old, no deposits found in tank, no corrosion on elements. My neighbor, who is a commercial plumber installed it. Once it reaches the set temperature, it will shut off and then send power to the lower element. Polypropylene Side-Mount Runoff Tube, 3 1/4 in. . My T&P valve was leaking, and I replace it with a brand new one seemingly without issue. I hope it will last as long as my previous water heater. This is known as a flip/flop system. The non-metallic tank eliminates rust and corrosion that leads to leaks in typical tank water heaters. You're using hot water faster than it can make it. The first one was leaking terribly through the seams at the top of the water heater. Please call us at: 1-800-HOME-DEPOT (1-800-466-3337), Please enter in your email address in the following format: you@domain.com. 1) Power on and heating cycle complete. . Setting the water to a higher temperature increases the risk of scalding. 0000007980 00000 n Remove the access cover panels located on the side of the tank. So, give the upper one time to heat up before checking the lower one. If you do not understand, these instructions or any terms within it, seek, water heater should be directed to the seller, from whom it was purchased. Turn the power and water back on. Since replacing it involves the potential for a gas leak if not handled properly, consider calling a repair technician for the work. Finally an explanation on why the top element alone burning out can result in zero hot water even though there's a healthy lower element there. Indicates heating element and thermostat operation. Models range from 30 Gal. . NPT x 63 in. Jan 27, 2022 by Provisions made to protect area from water damage. A 63 gallon electric water heater providing an ample supply of water to households with 5 - 6 people. Repair guides and support for gas and electric hot water tanks, boilers and household heat exchangers. . I went with the tall 50 gallon vs the short one as the short one seemed to have a lot of negative reviews etc. Purchase the right valve for your model. Models range from 30 through 120 Gal. Jun 27, 2017 by Never buy another water heater after the Rheem Marathon 50 Gal. In HOT WATER again! CAUTION: For your safety DO NOT attempt repair of electrical wiring, thermostat(s), heating elements or other operating controls. 0000191623 00000 n READ ALL INSTRUCTIONS BEFORE USING. Check the wires running power from the top element to the bottom one. Customer Reviews for Rheem Performance Plus 40 Gal Medium 9-Year 5500/5500-Watt Elements Electric Tank Water Heater with LED Indicator. Power checks okay, top element 220v. Copyright 2020 - 2022 | All rights reserved. iFixit Answers is free since people answering questions on here are volunteers. We welcome your comments and suggestions. Answer Summary Gaztech1 here,I am ready to assist you with your issue. A tripped circuit breaker will shut down an electric heater and gas models that use electricity. Power Upper Element Lower Element Possible light combinations and methods to determine proper function of water heater are shown below. It may save you time and cost. They tell you if you have no heat, it's probably the top element but no explanation of why unless you peruse the wiring diagram. . Its self-cleaning feature prolongs tank life and maintains the water heater's efficiency. Remove and clean the heating elements. Leaking or open hot water faucets. You're the best! oldturkey03. Check the picture to ensure proper wiring. Action; Energy Guide. Medium 9-Year 4500/4500-Watt Elements Electric Water Heater with LED Indicator provides ample amount of hot water for households with 3 to 5 people. If water continues to drip or flow from the temperature/pressure relief valve, you can replace it with the following steps: If water isnt coming from a fitting or the T&P relief valve, the tank is leaking. Air purged from water heater and piping. Rattling noise during periods of water usageInternal heat trap fittings in operation. 0000020302 00000 n After some troubleshooting on the phone with a multi-meter, Rheem sent a replacement upper thermostat. Place a bucket on the floor beneath the valve or hang a light bucket from it, and if there is only water in the bucket the next time it leaks, youve found the source. The four added wires are shown below attached to the harness connector. Opened the top cover because the felt water was too hot and tried to reduce the temperature. About 2 years ago, my then 12 year old water heater failed and I replaced it with a new Rheem Performance Plus 50 gallon model purchased from Home Depot. Also has WiFi that will notify me of any problems or need of service. Performance Plus Series: High Efficiency Electric, PERFORMANCE PLUS High Efficiency electric water heaters are engineered for longer life and feature an electronic LED system, 125 Edgeware Rd Unit 1, Brampton, Ontario, Canada, L6Y OP5. When replacing a heating element, shut off water leading to the water heater. DANGER: There is a hot water scald potential if the thermostat is set too high. . Turn off the pumps circuit, if you have a well and pump. The fittings are electro zinc plated and polypropylene lined. Be sure to check the reset button/limit switch located above or near the upper element. I have seen the lowest LED light come on showing the lower element is working. Related Error Code Pages:Rheem Air Conditioner Error Codes, Rheem Furnace Error Codes, Rheem Water Heater Error Codes. Just installed a brand new Rheem Performance 40 Gal. These water heaters start at a UEF of 54 and max out at 81 for the most efficient models. And confirmed by the Whirlpool wiring diagram. E FIG. Colin Flemington. Shop Medium Wood Bathroom Vanities without Tops, Single Sink Soft Close Doors Bathroom Vanities with Tops, Shop Party Digital display Portable Speakers, Shop Surface Mount Wall Plate Included Timers, 15 amp Plug Electrical Plugs & Connectors, 15 amp Siemens Electrical Panels & Protective Devices, Shop Dual Hose 12K BTU Portable Air Conditioners, Lasko Bladeless 1500-Watt 28 in. New heater will shutdown the water and electric until service is done! This one was very straight forward to install. Requires 240 volt electricity (a 30 amp breaker, with 10 gauge wire from the panel 10 year tank and parts, 1 year labour limited warranty. Pack Size 1 Wattage (watts) 5500 Finish Family Gray Minimum Temperature (F) 90 Maximum Temperature (F) 150 Water Connection Size (in.) The Gladiator water heater is unlike any other water heater because it provides the Power to Know, the Power to Control, and the Power to Protect. Solutions requiring multiple steps are found below. Except for one thing I found. Hi Rays and thank you for your question. For 2055 gallon models with single and double elements. q/ vQZUO ]eGIl$=yaMWFlj Checked power, reset the. @alienpilot65. Performance Plus 50 Gal. Tall 9 Year 4500/4500-Watt Elements Electric Tank Water Heater with LED Indicator, Commercial Light Duty 30 Gal. Households with small children, disabled, or elderly persons may require a 120F or lower thermostat setting to prevent contact with HOT water. 0000020868 00000 n Reinstall the insulation and access panels and turn on the circuit breaker. The Rheem Performance Plus 50 Gal. The purpose of these lights are to indicate the power and element status of the water heater. I think I can use this water heater for more than 10 years. 208 Volt 6 kW Multi Phase Field Convertible Electric Tank Water Heater, Commercial Light Duty 30 Gal. Initially things were fine, but when cold weather set in I started to notice very inconsistent results with my available hot water. . If the circuit continues to trip, theres an electrical issue that needs to be diagnosed and repaired by a qualified service technician. trailer <<20dc55073cda11daae69000a95d9318a>]>> startxref 0 %%EOF 12 0 obj<>stream CAUTION: Hydrogen gas can be produced in a hot water system served by this water heater that has not been used for a long period of time (generally two weeks or more). Insulation Blankets ! Allow the water to heat up. Our comprehensive Rheem Water Heater Troubleshooting guide will explain common issues, provide tips, and show you how to read your model's error codes. IF YOU NEED SERVICE 1. Remove and clean the heating elements. Hello , i need to replace my indirect fired , and i have a question , if i replace with a electric water heat , i will save money in the end of the year ? We are not trying to sell you anything. All parts orders should include: ! Remove and clean the heating elements. . UPPER THERMOSTAT & HIGH TEMP. Quantity Add To Cart. I'm totally at a loss, and talking to Rheem (I do still have warranty) is a mixed bag. Non-metallic piping, dielectric unions, flexible connectors etc. In order to replace the thermostat or heating element, remove the cavity insert crossbar by following the instructions below: Turn off the power to the water heater. Manual reset limit (ECO). Immediately the upper light came on and the upper element engaged. Medium 9 Year 4500/4500-Watt Elements Electric Water Heater with LED Indicator. Electric tall water heater provides an ample supply of hot water for households with 3 to 5 people. Check the wires running power from the top element to the bottom one. I use this webpage to test my water heater: http://waterheatertimer.org/How-to-test-. It is leaked. An electronic LED system indicates element and thermostat operation. O G 9k8B It provides more hot water and includes a self-cleaning feature for added convenience. At Rheem, we strive to innovatebest-in-class products to lead the industryin environmental improvements. http://www.water-heater-repair-guide.com Top has power, used a voltage meter, lights up, replaced bottom thermostat and element and voltage light don't light up, Nov 30, 2017 by This takes pressure off the water tank. John Bryant, You really should have posted this as a new question, instead of a comment in an answer a year old to get answered by more ifixit volunteers. (Upper element) lights lit. If you smell gas around a gas water heater, turn off the gas valve and dont ignite anything. Install the new thermostat. Do not remove the plastic personnel protector covering the thermostat itself. This is normal. Medium 6 Year 4500/4500-Watt Elements Electric Tank Water Heater-XE40M06ST45U1 - The Home Depot in my home. installation and adjustment of the water heater; the features, operation, safety precautions, maintenance and troubleshooting of the water, It is imperative that all persons who are, expected to install, operate or adjust this, water heater read the instructions carefully, these operations. 0000021899 00000 n YluTVV|piyd`X\_d 4rg@f%L!eg@QA#) $pIMfSTaZd`5aN&X~@;lR5JjOfBPLnz+}c) WA Now on the third one, the relief valve is allowing water to accumulate at the top and where the electrical connections are located. 1100 Abernathy Road, Suite 1700 Atlanta, GA 30328, Rheem Manufacturing ranks as the global leader in the manufacture of high-quality, sustainable, and innovative water heaters, tankless water heaters, air conditioners, furnaces, pool heaters, and HVAC systems for residential and commercial applications, and is a full member of AHRI, the, Inflation Reduction Act and Tax Credits Find out more, Air-Conditioning, Heating, & Refrigeration Institute. The purpose of these lights are to indicate the power and element status of the water heater. The link below may be able to answer you issue. . WATER TEMPERATURE SETTING Safety and energy conservation are factors to be considered when selecting the water temperature setting of water heaters thermostat. Parts like. can cause the water heater to be electrically isolated. Sheath materials: Copper provides high quality corrosion protection and may be coated with tin, nickel or other protective finish. A premium grade anode rod provides long-lasting tank protection. Then, use the wrench to tighten it until there are no leaks. the cost of the indirect and hybrid electric water heat is the same , and i already have the line for the indirect , if i use my furnace for heat the water and put in in the electric water heat for mantain it hot and help to heat, i will save money in the end of the year or i will spend more ? The basic operation of a two thermostat system (upper and lower) on an electric water heater of 240 volt supply is as follows: Only one element will come on at any one time. Pull it out quickly, insert the new element, and hand-tighten it. @Rhona Langridge which site would that be? If the unit has an electronic ignition and it wont fire, the ignition might require replacing. Turn the temperature dial with a small, flat-head screwdriver. 3/4 in. However posting my message yesterday I discovered that I am getting hot water at my sinks - It's just the showers that are the problem. . Cloudflare Ray ID: 7c0f1cfb2b9e0198 CAUTION: Ensure the T&P Valve opening is not obstructed by the insulation. Status Lights and Diagnostics (if installed) This water heater may be equipped with status lights located on the top cavity cover. To replace the heating element in a Rheem water heater, the installer removes the old element and screws the new one into its place. Great information, this really clarified what I thought it was a problem. Use & Care Manual With Installation Instructions for the Installer Electric Residential Water Heaters Single and Double Element Models, Residential 2055 Gallon The purpose of this manual is twofold: one, to provide the installer with the basic directions and recommendations for the proper installation and adjustment of the water heater; and two, for the owneroperator, to explain the features, operation, safety precautions, maintenance and troubleshooting of the water heater. Questions of a Do It Yourself nature should be submitted to our "DoItYourself.com Community Forums". .75 Required Volt Connection 240 volt Uniform Energy Factor 0.93 Water Heater Features Overheat Protection,Self Cleaning,Temperature Pressure Relief Valve Labor Warranty 2 Year Part Warranty 9 Year Water connections tight and free of leaks. It was a bit taller than the old one but only by about 2 so no problem. Typical top connection arrangement Typical side connection arrangement For increased energy efficiency, some water heaters have been supplied with a 2-3/8 section of pipe insulation. Rheem Manufacturing ranks as the global leader in the manufacture of high-quality, sustainable, and innovative water heaters, tankless water heaters, air conditioners, furnaces, pool heaters, and HVAC systems for residential and commercial applications, and is a full member of AHRI, the Air-Conditioning, Heating, & Refrigeration Institute. . If youre getting some hot water, and you can hear the unit heating, check the thermostat set point. Electric medium water heater provides an ample supply of hot water for households with 2 to 4 people. 0000001231 00000 n Water Heater Location Close to area of heated water demand. Medium 9 Year 5500/5500-Watt Elements Electric Tank Water Heater with LED Indicator by Rheem (2169) Questions & Answers (403) Electronic LED system indicates element and thermostat operation Make sure it fits: measure your space to ensure dimensions fit WA Residents - see disclaimer below before purchasing 0000022393 00000 n The water drained from the tank may be hot enough to present a scald hazard and should be directed to a suitable drain to prevent injury or damage. ! Rheems light-duty commercial electric water heaters with Terminal Block are field convertible to meet any light duty hot water application need. Here are tips for solving your Rheem water heater problem or deciding to call a Rheem service company to handle the repair. Feedback on the rain performance hot water heater.