He will retire from WGNs airwaves on Dec. 31. Moon's first wife, Seon-gil Choi, and Pastor Deok-jin Kim interviewed. In 2010, the City of Chicago named the corner of Illinois Street and Cityfront Plaza Drive Orion Samuelson Way.. Sirott: You had to be pinching yourself at times along the way? I think I should be able to, he quipped last week. FAIRY TALE? Sirott: Orion, judging by all the listeners whove been calling us in the morning, people dont care how old you are. Fox says disease is getting tougher, These were the deadliest national parks of 2022, List of most expensive ZIP codes released, These are the cheapest days of the week to buy gas, Correspondents Dinner requires balance: Comics, Oklahoma students attend star-studded Christian revival, Expert: Some bright spots in spring housing market, Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information. In 2015, she became only the 10th U.S. agricultural journalist to earn the Writer of Merit designation and is a five-time winner of the top writing award for editorial opinion in U.S. agriculture. USDA Secretary Sonny Perdue recently honored Samuelson with a proclamation heralding the broadcaster's long career in ag journalism. Samuelson has held the same job in the broadcasting industry for 50 consecutive years, second only to Los Angeles Dodgers Radio Network announcer Vin Scully. For 60 years, Orion has commanded a room without even stepping into it. My buddies in the military can never understand why in the world the First Infantry Division 1998 - 2023 Nexstar Media Group Inc. | All Rights Reserved. Particularly when I, on a Sunday, went with the Secretary of Agriculture and the Prime Minister of India to see the Taj Mahal. The bronze plaque is in the sidewalk outside the Tribune Tower studios at 435 North Michigan Avenue in Chicago. Orion Samuelson, American broadcaster Country: United States Birthday: March 31, 1934 Age : 89 years old Birth Sign : Aries About Biography Orion Samuelson is an American broadcaster most widely known for hosting U. S. Farm Report. I dont ever remember working on a style, he says, but I never took my voice for granted. Like regular Orion, Air Orion will retire soon, too. Luckily, a copycat recipe is easy enough to copy. 2023 www.detroitnews.com. She currently serves as editor of Prairie Farmer magazine and Executive Editor for Farm Progress, managing editorial staff at six magazines throughout the eastern Corn Belt. Thats a lesson we should all learn, he adds quietly. Samuelson: Thats probably one of the biggest compliments I get from city listeners in Chicago or suburbs or other cities who say, I didnt know what soybeans were. This job changed the direction of my career immensely.. And for all of the listeners and for all of us who have had the great fortune to work with you here, we thank you. The consent submitted will only be used for data processing originating from this website. He hopes to give the Illinois State Fair Sale of Champions another go in 2021 working hard to create some magic in the Coliseum for young livestock exhibitors. Orion and I played a significant role in helping publicize that which happened 45 or 50 years ago., Its a remarkable thing that Orion has been on the air at the same station in a major market in the U.S. for 60 years, Armstrong stressed. Orion is one of agricultures few celebrities, known to millions by his first name only, like Cher. In May 1960, one of Mr. Samuelson's first assignments for WGN was to emcee the National Barn Dance, a long running program that WGN had just acquired when WLS radio discontinued its association with Prairie Farmer magazine. He has since retired from that position, with John Phipps replacing him. If a story is worth doing, then check your facts and make sure you do it right, Jim would tell me.. Orion and his first wife adopted two children, David and Katheryn. On New Year's Day 2017, Orion will be alongside the Rose Parade route to co-host with Pam Minick RFD-TV's live coverage of the parade on January 1. Orion Samuelson started his career at WGN Radio in September 1960, when the presidential election involved Richard Nixon and John F. Kennedy. Chronology Samuelson, 81, veteran agriculture-business reporter for Tribune Media news/talk WGN AM 720, underwent the procedure Monday at the University of Chicago Medical Center. Feder flashback: So you think you know Chicago television. Luckily for farmers, Samuelson had once considered becoming a Lutheran pastor before heading off to radio school. [4] The show is a weekly agriculture television show, produced by OMAX Communications, LLC in cooperation with 22 Creative Group and Farm Progress. U.S. Farm Report continued without Samuelson after his departure. The pair were married in 2001. "Thank you for loving Jamie and celebrating the goodness in him," McDonald wrote on Twitter. [3] He considered becoming a Lutheran pastor before deciding on six months of radio school. Ontario, Wis., looked like home. She spotted early signs of a serious illness one day in 2004, during a television broadcast. He is a part-time farmer and has experience as a banker with an emphasis on agriculture and residential lending.. I would, I would like that a lot. [3] He interviewed and or met every US president from Dwight D. Eisenhower to Donald Trump,[5] including John F. Kennedy (when he was still a Senator), Lyndon Johnson, Richard Nixon, Gerald Ford, Ronald Reagan, George H. W. Bush, George W. Bush and Bill Clinton,[6][5] and finally, after he was 20 years out of the Oval Office, Harry S. Few partnerships in agriculture are as easily recognized as that of Max and Orion again, by first names only. He also serves on the Farm Foundation Bennett Round Table, and is a former member of the board of the Agriculture Future of America, the Board of Farm Safety 4 Just Kids, the board of directors of the Foods Resource Bank, a former trustee of the Cornerstone Foundation of Lutheran Social Services of Illinois and a former member of the board of trustees of the National 4-H Council. The first is a short musical number (in thirty-two-bar form) in which Yogi shops for his wife and, considering buying a nightgown for his wife but not knowing her size, opts to buy her a carpet sweeper as his gift to her. I think you should do it, Orion recalls. "Well go back and forth to Arizona and not have to worry about setting the alarm clock and making sure Im ready for the next report," he said. And it, I think, became pretty well known to most people that agriculture was indeed a contributor to the nations income. So I should recover very quickly.. Samuelson was inducted into the Wisconsin 4-H Hall of Fame in 2017. In 2011, Holly was one of 10 recipients worldwide to receive the IFAJ-Alltech Young Leaders in Ag Journalism award. We collect into a small bunch the flowers, the few flowers, which brought sweetness into a life, and present it as an offering to an accomplished destiny. Holly and her husband, John, farm in western Illinois where they raise corn, soybeans and beef cattle on 2,500 acres. Holly Spangler has covered Illinois agriculture for more than two decades, bringing meaningful production agriculture experience to the magazines coverage. Samuelson: Well, because we were able to talk more than planting corn or soybeans. Once Samuelson started his job at WGN, it didnt take him long to realize that urban people didnt understand farmers or ranchers. Orion immediately set to work shaping WGNs farm programming after he aired up his tires and mastered the elevators, of course. December 31st will be my last time on the air at WGN, Samuelson told me Tuesday. CHICAGO (December 17, 2020) - WGN Radio announced that reporter Steve Alexander will assume responsibilities from agribusiness broadcaster Orion Samuelson beginning in January. joined Orion at WGN in 1977, and as they spent the next 43 years together on air, they developed a seamless rapport. Some of our partners may process your data as a part of their legitimate business interest without asking for consent. Garth. During his over 60 years as a farm broadcaster,. Max Armstrong (born June 13, 1953, Owensville, Indiana) is an American agriculture broadcaster from Chicago, Illinois. Later, Orion would earn an honorary doctor of letters from the U of I. Thats what I did and it took me a couple of weeks to convince Max to make the move from Bloomington to Chicago. This would turn out to be his trademark generosity, as he mentored dozens of young broadcasters and interns over the coming decades. McDonald posted to Twitter on Monday afternoon, her first post since Samuelsen went on the air a week ago and announced his diagnosis and that he'd been battling the disease for 19 months.. In some ways, Orion Samuelsons life sounds like a fairy tale: Farm boy makes it big in the big city, travels the world and meets presidents. The scholarship is presented to a college student seeking a career in agricultural communications. He listened to the veterans around him, picking out the good things they did that people liked. In the world of agriculture, Orion Samuelson is a rock star, and to Orion tonight we say, "Happy Birthday!" Orion has been on WGN Radio for more than 53 of his 80 years, so WGN's Steve. While at WGN radio in Chicago, the "Big O"covered agriculture and food production, met with U.S. presidents, travelled to dozens of countries, and encountered many foreign dignitaries, all while reporting on the contributions of American agriculture to the U.S. and world economy. I can recall the volume going up and our little voices being muted in my grandpas truck when Orion came on. Right away, he suggested bringing the National Barn Dance talent over to WGN, and in doing so, saved a few jobs and found himself working alongside the radio stars he listened to back on the dairy farm. Even farmers dont work that long in a lot of cases and here you are still getting up early and doing what youve done for the last well, since 1952. And so even-tempered. Well known ag broadcaster Orion Samuelson will retire this month after 60 years in the field. McDonald posted to Twitter on Monday afternoon, her first post since Samuelsen went on the air a week ago and announced his diagnosis and that he'd been battling the disease for 19 months. Tornado flips cars, damages homes in coastal Florida city, What to know about tick, Lyme disease season, Rolling Fork on long road to recovery after tornado devastation, Floodwaters threaten to drown small California town, Experimental water release to continue Lake Mead rise, Bizarre weather becoming more common, according to NASA research, Legendary agribusiness broadcaster Orion Samuelson to retire in December, Some could see northern lights again: Here's where, Expert Q&A: Where Bryan Kohberger, Lori Vallow cases stand, No Mow May: Why experts say to delay mowing your lawn, Sending National Guard to SF is 'politicking:' former officer, Set of quadruplets set to graduate togehter, Texas gunman still at large, authorities have zero leads, FAA launches faster, more direct flight paths on East Coast, In debt from your kid's education? Why? If you would like to change your settings or withdraw consent at any time, the link to do so is in our privacy policy accessible from our home page.. "So many memories," he said, "and theyll be with me as long as Im around.". His surgery went well on Monday, he is out of ICU and looking forward to checking out of this luxury hotel (hospital) as soon as he gets a bit more strength back, Samuelsons wife, Gloria, wrote in an email. No ones shared more airtime with Orion than Max, and hes the first to admit he got a lot of spillover from Orions popularity. Reliable and true., And quotable. Hes originated broadcasts from all 50 states and 44 countries. [6], During the 1960s, Samuelson hosted an early-morning show on WGN-TV, Top 'O' the Morning, first with organist Harold Turner, then with Max Armstrong. His career led him to have dinner at the White House and travel to 43 countries [4] including Cuba, where he shook hands with Fidel Castro, Moscow where he met with Mikhail Gorbachev, and England to broadcast live from the Royal Agricultural Show (aka Royal Show). Samuelson: Yeah, without a doubt. Orion at approximately age 7.Orion at approximately age 14.Orion's high school graduation photo.Orion in the mid-1960s.Sixty years ago.Orion in the mid-1970s.Orion SamuelsonOrion in his office.Orion Samuelson with the chair given to him by the FFA.Orion on the front page.Orion Samuelson at the podium after receiving the Order of Lincoln Medallion on May 5, 2001.Orion at I love being in the countryside and on farms. Its not for nothing that Orion is known as The Voice of Agriculture. Together, these two farm boys sat down every day in a studio in Chicago and talked about agriculture with a 50,000-watt transmitter and hundreds of networked stations, explaining pork bellies and beef demand to suburban housewives. Orions high standards of reporting, thought leadership, articulate expression and caring spirit continue to help energize and guide me in my professional interests, and in my life, Evans says. At 86, his voice is as strong and deep and rich as its always been. Sirott: I imagine you still milking cows while youre in broadcasting. Samuelson: It took me and I still cant believe this, but it took me two weeks to make the decision that I would leave Green Bay and go to Chicago, because Im a country boy. "How do you say goodbye to a man who made everyone feel like a friend?". They also spend about five weeks a year at their home in Scottsdale, Ariz. On the eve of his 60th anniversary as the booming voice of agriculture and business at WGN 720-AM, Orion Samuelson says it's time to retire from the Nexstar Media Group news/talk station. In the 1960s, Samuelson hosted an early-morning show on WGN-TV, Top 'O' the Morning, first with organist Harold Turner, then with Armstrong. In 2015, she became only the 10. Sirott: When you were growing up in Wisconsin, did you have ambitions to be a broadcaster? He went one further when he got Orion into public speaking contests. Samuelson: No, I didnt, but, circumstances, leg disease that made it impossible to do heavy work. 00:00 Aerial shots of farmland, taken from a . His voice is synonymous with agriculture news and after January Orion Samuelson will be stepping away from the microphone. But mainly, hes told agricultures story from downtown Chicago, where he became a media icon and a beloved hall of fame broadcaster. [1] He was inducted into the Radio Hall of Famein 2003. Samuelson was working at WBAY in Green Bay, Wisconsin, when Norm Kraft, WGN farm director resigned on the air. And today theyre the biggest producer and the biggest exporter of soybeans. He was inducted into the National Radio Hall of Fame in 2003. An example of data being processed may be a unique identifier stored in a cookie. Memorials may be made to Heartland. [1] He was inducted into the Radio Hall of Fame in 2003. He transcends generations, says Cerro Gordo, Ill., farmer Jared Gregg. On December 9th 2010 the southwest corner of E. Illinois Street & N. Cityfront Plaza Drive was named 'Orion Samuelson Way' by the city of Chicago. [2], Politically, Samuelson supported the production of ethanol fuel from corn, to help American farmers.[8]. In 2017, Max Armstrong was elected President of the NAFB. Orion Samuelson was born on a dairy farm in Ontario, Wisconsin, near LaCrosse. We and our partners use cookies to Store and/or access information on a device. So, its one of those what might have been stories but I value my relationship with my wife, Orion says, laughing. We operate in different ways. He has has served on the National 4-H Council Board of Trustees and in 2017 began working with the Wisconsin 4-H Foundation to raise $500,000 to support livestock programming. Samuelson began his broadcasting career in Wisconsin and will officially sign off from his job at WGN radio in Chicago. WGN Radio personality Bob Sirott sat down with Samuelson for a trip down memory lane. Wellman farmer Clint Whetstine stands in front of destroyed pens and barns from tornado. He was cut from the same cloth as Paul Harvey. He was a good guy and a good listener.[3]. Yet even tragedy has a silver lining, because what do you do when youre confined to your bed in a Wisconsin farmhouse? Farm Report in 1975 and. But even 60 years later, you can hear awe in his familiar baritone. They plan to divide their time between homes in west suburban Huntley and Scottsdale, Arizona. As that door closed in Chicago, another opened at WGN when the station picked up the farm programming torch and Orion was invited to walk in. He will be turning 90 in only 335 days from today (01 May, 2023). In addition to that, Ive interviewed nine presidents, including George H.W. The testimonies of Moon's first wife, Mrs. Seon-gil Choi, and Pastor Deok-jin Kim [who wrote 19 of the church 'Holy Songs']. The disease told my father who probably would have passed the farm on to me, but it told him that I couldnt do the heavy work of farming so I better find something else. In 2001, Samuelson was named a Laureate of the Lincoln Academy of Illinois and received the Lincoln Medal the highest award bestowed by the State of Illinois. The manager at WBAY called me in and said, I got a call from WGN, and they want to talk to you. ORION-Richard Duane Samuelson, 93, of Orion, passed away Tuesday, April 27, 2021, at his home. Well known ag broadcaster Orion Samuelson will retire this month after 60 years in the field. "The American Farmer's Best Friend for Over Sixty Years" tells about his humble beginnings on a Wisconsin dairy farm and how his big dreams led to a Hall of Fame career in broadcasting, travels to 43 countries, dinner at the White House and, most importantly, the trust of the h Gloria says those are among the traits that have made him successful that and being generous with his time and talents, especially with young people. He met McDonald when she worked at Fox 2 and was producing for Bill Bonds, and the couple had three children,Caroline, 16, Josh, 14, and Catherine, 11. I told him Ive done it and you can do it, too., Orion is one of the hardest working people youll every run into he has a tremendous work ethic, Armstrong said. Armstrong was a member of NAFB for 40 years before being elected president. CHICAGO Becoming a successful broadcaster requires the ability to be a good listener. I think that a lot of people recognize that without agricultural trade, we would be in far worse condition because our farmers produce so much more than we can consume. He served as master of ceremonies for thousands of shows and crowned dozens of queens, using his own plane to travel efficiently. This page was last edited on 20 November 2022, at 09:03. The engineers, stage hands and people on the air liked Orion, so it was much easier for me being the kid coming on board to slide right in because I was welcomed just by working with Orion.. Autobiography of Orion "Big O" Samuelson, radio broadcaster on WGN in Chicago for over 50 years. But he remembers the first time he spoke competitively: My knees never stopped shaking!. Heres how the Chicago media icon has told agricultures story. Orion got plenty of practice thinking on his feet, as WGN took the show on the road for 40 to 50 remote broadcasts a year to county fairs, the Illinois State Fair, the Farm Progress Show and more. The result: casts, wheelchairs and crutches. On the lighter side, Samuelson and a studio group dubbed the "Uff da Band" once recorded covers of Yogi Yorgesson's novelty songs I Yust Go Nuts at Christmas and Yingle Bells. Related:Orion Samuelson: Explaining agriculture to ChicagoHow Orion became beloved in agricultureWhat Orion means on the farmMax on Orion: Champion for the American farmer. The second is a parody of the poem " A Visit from Saint Nicholas ." Payday lenders operate in 32 states, and about 12 million Americans use payday loans each year. In the clip the announcer says, "Now, here's Orion Samuelson," but Orion seems not to have heard! At Purdue University, Armstrong received honors as an "Old Master" in 2005 and was recognized as a "Noted Alumnus" in the 2009 'Facts at Your Fingertips.' WGN Radio's Orion Samuelson has graced airwaves throughout the heartland in places across the Midwest and beyond. From hosting the WGN Radio Barn Dance to breaking the news to Chicagoans of the JFK assassination. WGN Radio's Orion Samuelson has graced airwaves throughout the heartland in places across the Midwest and beyond. Orion Samuelson was just 27 years old when he made his way up North Michigan Avenue, striding toward the Tribune Tower. She currently serves on the Illinois Fairgrounds Foundation, the U of I Agricultural Communications Advisory committee, and is an advisory board member for the U of I College of ACES Research Station at Monmouth. Farm Progress is part of the Informa Markets Division of Informa PLC. As for why his listeners love him so, Max has a few ideas: Orion is reliable, credible and accurate. And then you start dreaming. He drove home every weekend to be a polka music disc jockey. He was the voice on the radio but part of the farm family. The first was the cancellation of the network broadcast in 1952. The number of Americans seeking mental health treatment isalmost twiceas high as it was two decades ago. He traveled with the Secretary of Agriculture and the Prime Minister of India to see the Taj Mahal. Sirott: Well, Orion congratulations. CHICAGO ( NewsNation Now) One of the most famous voices in radio will end a remarkable 60-year career later this month. She was named an AAEA Master Writer in 2005. A new coronavirus subvariant is starting to spread in the U.S. and, according to health experts, it could be causing an annoying symptom to return. The show moved to Chicago's WGN-AM, with Orion Samuelson as the show's host, until it finally left the air in 1968. In 2011, Holly was one of 10 recipients worldwide to receive the IFAJ-Alltech Young Leaders in Ag Journalism award. We and our partners use data for Personalised ads and content, ad and content measurement, audience insights and product development. Orion tuned in for Bert Wilson calling Cubs games, and he listened to the National Barn Dance every Saturday night on WLS what was then the Prairie Farmer station to hear stars like Gene Autry. He wouldnt walk again for two years. It feels like a fairy tale! Shes a beautiful lady and a beautiful partner, he says. "I couldn't believe it was happening," he says today. Perfect for elementary students, homeschoolers, and libraries! Copyright 2023. There were host farms in northern Illinois that opened on Sundays for consumers to visit, Armstrong said. "They werent teaching me to be a broadcaster, they were teaching me to be a writer. She also had high praise for his care at University of Chicago. just before graduating from the University of Illinois in agricultural communications. Whats been your reaction to this outpouring of love for you? Young Orion was a tall kid headed for the basketball team the summer before high school when he was afflicted with a rare disease known as Legg-Perthes disease. He was much better than I would have been, Orion reassures. What's behind shortages of Adderall, other meds? Gloria took the sensible route, thinking it too taxing to campaign following a recent throat surgery. The lesson I share with young people is in order to make a living talking you have got to be a good listener, said Orion Samuelson, farm broadcaster at WGN Radio. It took me about two weeks to decide to accept the WGN job and it scares me to think it took that long to join a station like WGN, said Samuelson, who retired from WGN on Dec. 31. Both shows aired on 190 Midwest stations[7] via first-run syndication. McDonald now is a TV reporter and anchor at Detroit's PBS station. You arent alone. She replied that she read them occasionally, and that was enough. Tuesdays comment of the day: Irv Leavitt: I have recently developed the lazy habit of leaving WGN Radio on after a White Sox game, and I've been treated to product that varies from relatively intelligent to downright maddening. "When I made the drive in my 1949 blue Chrysler New Yorker 60 years ago, I was very uncertain about what I was getting into, because I was a farm kid [thinking], What will I do in the big city?.