Monstera leaves arent supposed to droop. Finally, check for pests such as mealybugs or spider mites. Another reason could be too much water. In addition to the tropical aesthetics, monstera plants add to a room or home garden; monstera deliciosas are known for their high levels of oxygen production and indoor air circulation. While its fun and sometimes more cost effective to Do It Yourself. Avoid overfertilization 3. Despite this, any insect harming the plant will cause it stress, which, as we know, can make the leaves downturned. Keep a consistent watering schedulewater when the top 2-3 of the soil are dry. This method works great for a medium-sized Monstera deliciosa that can be moved easily. When potting your monstera, add a layer of gravel or sand at the bottom of the pot before adding your potting mix. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); 60 Institute Rd, Burlington, VirginiaPhone: (802) 862-0942Email: info@gethouseplant.com. When grown outdoors, monsteras produce a tasty fruit similar to corn on the cob and in taste to pineapples. Why Are My Monstera Leaves Drooping? This post was published on 2020-08-02. I have more than 100 houseplants varieties and I love spending my time with my twin boys and two pet dogs!I've been collecting houseplants for most of my life, starting at age 11 when I adopted a Monstera Deliciosa from a friend.From there, it spiraled into an obsession of sorts; I would read about houseplants all day long so that someday, I could help my friends, family, and neighbors to love plants too.I am documenting my experiences with different types of houseplants and their care on this blog. Hi, I'm Eric the blogger behind ReadyToDiy.com. First, you should, When plants have too little water, leaves turn brown and wilt. Because there are so many reasons that could cause your Monstera leaves to face down, its essential to go over them and the additional signs or symptoms for each. So, why are your Monstera leaves facing down? Adding a trellis or mossy climbing stake near the center of your monstera plant will allow it to climb adequately. If you suspect a temperature issue, you could use a digital thermometer to record the minimum and maximum temperature over a few days and move your plant as needed. Avoid severing any plant roots if possible. In that case, there may be some other plants that grow similarly to monstera also to include. If your room humidity level is below 40%, you should either get a. This content does not replace consultation with a qualified individual. Insects! Hi, Im Andrew, and Smart Garden Guide is my website all about indoor gardening and houseplants. An infestation of these pests can cause flipping or curling of the monsteras leaves because they will absorb the water and nutrients from the plant and its soil, causing dehydration and malnutrition. You may also detect a rotting smell from the soil, and this can signal the presence of root rot, which is very bad news indeed. If neither of those solutions seem to be helping, its possible that your plant has pests. Other causes include overwatering, low light, fertilizer problems, pests, or transplant stress. Finally, make sure your plant is getting enough light. Spraying them with a fine mist of water when you water the base of the plant, about once a week, is also going to help the leaves photosynthesize properly. Doing this will help support the plant and keep it upright. Related Questions. In the wild, they can easily reach a height of sixty feet, though fortunately when contained in pots they dont tend to go beyond a more manageable nine feet. Monstera leaves are also likely to be affected by sudden changes in room temperature. 1. Scrub them off using a cotton roll or a toothbrush. Although not as common as under-watering, it is possible to overwater your Monstera plant. Spider mites and mealybugs are among the most common indoor pests affecting monsteras. Monsteras need the right balance of macronutrients and micronutrients to grow their best. Identifying the problem is the most important step to nursing your plant back to health. Monstera plants require a moderate amount of water, indirect sunlight, and well-draining soil in order to thrive indoors. This will encourage the plant to produce new growth which will be stronger than the old, floppy growth. Allow the top inch or so of soil to dry out before watering again. Here are the 5 steps to properly repot a Monstera plant: Make a potting mix: potting soil, perlite, bark. First, check the soil moisture level and water if needed.Monsteras like to have evenly moist soil, but not soggy. In time you will need to repot the plant into a larger pot. Can a Fiddle Leaf Fig recover from root rot? Otherwise, the health of your plant is in jeopardy. Place your Monstera in a bathtub and soak the soil with plenty of water for a few minutes and let it sit a while until the water drain completely. This is a natural adaptive measure but also shows that the plant is in distress due to improper care or pest infestation. First, check the roots and see if theyre healthy and growing properly. This is when the leaves of the plant droop down as if theyre tired or thirsty. The three main reasons your monstera may be bending, drooping, or curling are inadequate water supply, incorrect amounts of sunlight, and improper soil drainage. Close observation is always the first and most important means of defense. If youve checked your monstera plant and found that the soil is very moist, place the pot in an eastern facing window where it can receive plenty of bright, indirect sunlight. Prune regularly: Another way to help keep your monstera upright is to prune it regularly. Although monstera deliciosa plants are relatively low maintenance, a sign of distress can be the plants leaves flipping upside down. Some other signs and symptoms of underwatering a Monstera include: Dont automatically assume the worst when your Monstera plants leaves face down. One of the most common problems that monstera owners face is drooping leaves. Yellowing of lower leaves, browning and crispy leaf tips and even defoliation is common signs of over-fertilizing. Then replant it and check the moisture levels after. Give it time: If youve just transplanted your monstera, it may take a little time for it adjust and start producing new growth. ReadyToDIY is the owner of this article. Monstera deliciosa and other indoor plants discussed in this article are all hardy plant varieties that require minimal care. Your Monstera prefers soil that is consistently moist. If your plant is not getting enough light, the leaves will start to droop and the stem will become weak. If it is not, then its time to give your plant a thorough watering. The Monstera deliciosa (Swiss Cheese Plant) is a widely grown houseplant, due mainly to the fact that it has such impressive leaves. If you suspect your monstera is not receiving enough water: To ensure your monsteras leaves can collect adequate moisture, clean them off with a damp cloth to remove any dust or film that may have collected naturally. Keep your climbing vegetables well mulched. By dividing your peace lilies, you can create more plants and encourage growth! What instead tends to happen is that the extra soil absorbs more water and the pot then becomes waterlogged. Your Monstera leaves facing down could be because of one of the following reasons: The lack of water is the most common reason Monstera leaves begin to droop and face down. However, to get your plant looking happy and lively again, its vital! Long thin pointed leaves grow up and over its container, mimicking the legs of a spider. Wiping your Monstera leaves regularly with a damp cloth can help you identify pests early. But what does this have to do with Monstera leaves? If your Monstera leaves are drooping after repotting, dont worry this is normal! Counter this by adding a little water at a time, giving the soil plenty of time to absorb the water. Overwatered: If your monstera is getting too much water, youll notice the older leaves, or the leaves toward the bottom of the plant, yellowing first. 3. Monstera plants curl when under-watered or when their leaves cannot obtain enough moisture from the air in their environment. Be sure you're not over or underwatering your plant. Generally, when plant Hi, I am Anastasia! You can check to see if youve overwatered your monstera plant by placing your fingers 1-2 inches (2.5 5 cm) down into the soil. Push the stakes of the moss pole or trellis down until the base rests firmly on top of the soil. These plants can grow quite large if transplanted and thrive in rooms with indirect light and minimal watering. How do you stop Philodendron Brasil from reverting? Re-pot the Monstera Final thoughts on Monstera leaves curling down Why are my Monstera leaves curling? If the soil is constantly wet, it can cause the stems to weaken and the leaves to droop. Some other signs of insufficient sunlight for a Monstera plant may include: Moving the Monstera to a brightly-lit area in your home is essential if your indoor Monstera plants leaves are facing down due to insufficient sunlight. Garden centers sell wooden stakes, bamboo stakes, plastic stakes, and metal stakes to which you can attach plants with a plastic plant tie. First, check the soil to see if it is dry. A leafy plant with short stems. In the slower-growing cold season, you can drop this to one feed per month. When my Monstera leaves start curling up, I just wait for a few days to let the soil dry up before giving it water again. Monstera deliciosa is a climber in its natural habitat, using its aerial roots to cling to large trees, so you should provide it with moss-covered support sticks or a trellis. When the moisture level is below 3, it means you need to water immediately. Other causes include overwatering, low light, fertilizer problems, pests, or transplant stress. Follow the vine back to the main stem. Knowing where your plant originates from can tell you a great deal about what conditions it needs and these plants come from the south of Mexico and Central America where they thrive in damp tropical forests. If youve ever noticed your Monstera leaves pointing down, youre not alone. Provide support: One way to prevent your monstera from flopping over is to provide it with some sort of support. You can just put your Monstera into a lukewarm shower for several minutes to wash the leaves. This may cause the water to stagnate and suffocate the roots. Its doing exactly what its support to do, but youll have to take the place of Mother Nature and give it a support! When this happens, ensure that the plants container has appropriate drainage without being too dry, and consider adapting your watering schedule. Without drainage holes, moisture retention around the roots will cause them to suffocate and rot. It will quickly tell you that it is unhappy by developing weak-looking yellow leaves, often starting with the lower leaves first or showing brown dried-out patches at the leaf tips. Take the plant and the root ball out of the pot and drench it in the sink until the water is fully draining from the base of the plant. Monstera leaves drooping after repotting is more likely if the roots were in bad shape, or if they were damaged during the repotting process. Will Creed Horticultural Help, NYC If an eastern facing window isnt an option for you, try a grow light like the EZORKAS 80 Watt Dimmable Grow Light for Indoor Plants. How do you tell if my plant is overwatered or underwatered? One of the most common reasons for Monstera leaves pointing down is due to gravity. It is speculated that the large size of monstera plant leaves aids the plant in quality air purification. This site is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Monstera's split leaves evolved to let the sun through. Indirect, bright sunlight or a grow lightshould help. The simplest way to decorate with Monstera leaves is to put one or several of them in water inside a vase or other decorative container. Bloomsprouts is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. You should continue to re-pot your monstera every two years until it reaches a pot of 8 inches (20.3 cm) in diameter. Be patient and give it a few months before you start worrying about floppiness. If you live in a climate that accommodates you growing your monstera outdoors, upside-down leaves may also signify an incoming cold front. Flowering plants with waxy leaves. This will help dissolve excess fertilizer salts and wash them out of the soil. If the plants leaves do not appear stressed in the morning, they can probably go another day or two before needing water. Therefore, knowing the reasons will help you spot which one applies to your Monstera plant and understand how to fix it. You can also try moving your Monstera to a spot with more or less light too much sun can cause leaves to droop, while too little light will make them turn yellow. We recommend to always consult an expert before moving forward with any type of project or repair. If the leaves are not hydrated, they can dry up and begin to curl at the tip of the leave. Take care not to go too crazy with the fertilizer, as applying too much, too often will lead to a build-up in the soil and cause root toxicity. You can fix an over-fertilized Monstera plant that started to curl up by. Have a watering schedule 2. Curling Monstera leaves due to low humidity can often be mistaken for underwatering. The leafless leaf stems should be cut off entirely. Regularly checking plants for signs of pests is best practice. Check the roots for black, rotten ones and trim them off. Use scattered pebbles to ensure that the base of the pot sits just above the level of the water. Once your plant is in a pot that size, you should not need to re-pot again. Fortunately, theres a simple fix for this: just rotate it. You have watered your Monstera every day, but the leaves still curl up. Never let ALL the soil dry out completely. Other vital symptoms that indicate a pest problem in a Monstera plant include: if(typeof ez_ad_units!='undefined'){ez_ad_units.push([[300,250],'thegrowingleaf_com-large-mobile-banner-2','ezslot_3',112,'0','0'])};__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-thegrowingleaf_com-large-mobile-banner-2-0');Even though your Monstera plant may not show any other signs of a pest problem, you must watch the plant closely just in case. Suppose you already love growing monstera deliciosa or consider incorporating it into your plant family. I made this website to help you with your gardening projects and beyond. When they need light, the leaves are nearly horizontal in an effort to catch more of the sun. What do Overwatered monstera leaves look like? Monstera deliciosa are some of the easiest house plants to care for, so what some monstera growers may be wondering is why a monstera plants leaf is upside down. Nutrient Imbalance. Lets take a closer look at why this happens and how to fix it. These aerated roots will rot if there is too much moisture in the soil, which is why monstera plants prefer aerated, well-draining soil. I'm here to share my experience and help you have more success and enjoyment growing plants. Ideally, Monstera should be placed in a room temperature between 65F-85F (18C-30C). These components help to move moisture more easily around the soil, keeping plants appropriately hydrated. Although there are guidelines on how to water houseplants, the rules are not written in stone. You can do this by staking the plant or by tying it to a nearby support. Pour cool water into a tall glass or vase and put the cutting into it so the bottom 2 inches (5.1 cm) of the cutting is submerged. If the light source, i.e. The leaves of a monstera can droop for a variety of reasons, including lack of water, too much sun, or even pests. If the soil is moist, move the pot into bright indirect light and avoid watering until the top layer of soil dries out. Most likely, your plant is not getting enough water or light.