I will have the cases taped up and wont open any of the bottles on the way. Travel Tip: The cheapest gas in Canada was at the Costco in Grand Prairie but they dont take Visa (only Master Card I believe) so we had to go inside to buy a Costco cash card with Canadian dollars. If you dont care about those details and want to know if the ALCAN is for you, skip to the next section. Most of this highway is freshly paved though, so even though its a little windy and requires driving it at a slower pace (we averaged more like 45mph/70kph along the Cassiar), it was nice not worrying about potholes like we did on the Tok cutoff (seriously, that highway is horrible). If you allow for the worst case of 23l/100km, with a 65l tank and allowing for say 10 litres remaining in the tank, then by my calculations you'll get (65-10)/23 x 100 = 240 km. Alaska Highway mile 0 is in Dawson Creek, British Colombia and the Alcan Highway officially ends at Delta Junction at the historic milepost 1422. We found that to be true. Length: 1,387 miles 11. Expect to pay about 20% more for gasoline along the route. I was ready for jagged mountains, glaciers, and epic hikes so we headed down to Valdez. It's a far cry from the original gravel access road built during the construction of the Trans-Alaska Pipeline, but you'll still want to take it slow over the remaining gravel . Expect a 30%-50% chance that any particular stop will be closed. Ha! The furthest distance between two gas stations is just over 110 miles and each one is marked in The Milepost book. In general, its always a good idea to fuel up when available as some stretches between stations can be quite long. Even with increasingly excellent EV infrastructure, touring the country Tesla-style provides a set of unique challenges for drivers new to the electric life. In Ontario it's 130 miles between Hearst & Longlac on Hwy. You won't run out of gas as long as you plan ahead, but it can be expensive at times. It is also important to note that many of the businesses (including gas stations and motels) along the highway close for the winter. How Long It Takes To Drive The Alaskan Highway, Recommended Stops Along the Alaska Highway, 3 | Eat Cinnamon Rolls at Tetsa River Lodge, Recommended Detours off of the Alaska Highway, Alternate Routes: Driving the Cassiar Highway, Why I Chose To Drive To Alaska and Not Fly To Anchorage, Watch This YouTube & Subscribe To Our Channel, Total Fuel Cost= $3,800 USD + $300 USD Ferry, Golden Circle: Guide to Whitehorse, Skagway, and Haines, A post shared by Adventure Travel Family (@nomadswithapurpose), Tips for Camping in Glacier National Park. We included our two favorite hikes and an epic campground in Hatcher Pass in our blog 25 Epic Things To Do Near Anchorage. If you made it this far, CONGRATS because you are going to have an epic trip up the Alaska highway with all the info you just read. Resting opportunities should be no more than 30 kilometers in between Rest areas with gas stations should be no more than 70km in between An example of the rules of distances not being followed, is on E45, where the distance between gas stations Himmerland and Ejer Baunehj is 115 kilometres. Answer (1 of 11): https://alaskatrekker.com/planning-trip/alaska-highway/ "Alaska Highway services during the summer: During the summer, gas, food, and lodging are . Before the Parks Highway was completed in the early 1970s, the Denali Highway was the only . They only ask about transporting weapons through Canada. The only two places we got a campground along the Alaskan Highway was Strawberry Flats Campground on Muncho Lake and High Country RV Park in Whitehorse both of which I highly recommend. Pulling a trailer in Jan or Feb is suicide.you will not make it,guaranteed.July or August,yes.if you try this trip in that time frame,tell your family and friends goodbye. Robyn (right) and oldest daughter, Gabi (left), are the co-founders of nomadswithapurpose.com and the creators behind the growing multi-media adventure and lifestyle brand. If I left any of your questions unanswered, dont hesitate to comment on the blog and let me know! We like to boondock as much as possible because not only does it save money, but it allows us to do more adventures during the day and get our driving done later in the evening, which worked really well for us on this trip. Top tips and advice for EV road trippers in 2022. If you choose to add Glacier National Park to your itinerary, be sure to read our blog Tips for Camping in Glacier National Park and 5 Best Hikes in Glacier National Park. For US travelers: If you want to compare the price of gas from CAD to USD take the price per liter and multiply by 3.78 then multiply that by the current exchange rate of $1 CAD to the USD (at the time that was $0.76 USD). Lots of animals were on the road . Hes traveled the entirety of U. S. Route 66 seven times on his Harley-Davidson. Always take Route 97. Get a copy of the "Milepost" it says where pretty much every fuels stop in the North is located. If you have posted the videos on YouTube, would you provide the links? The road is gravel, the steepest grade is 12 percent (a 12 foot rise in elevation for every 100 foot of travel), the highest summit is Atigun Pass . As mentioned in the beginning, however, the Dempster Highwayis a 700-km dirt road with very little services offered along the way. The Cassiar Highway is a much narrower road, especially the section closest to Watson Lake. A.) However, the Burwash-Koidern section is still a problem, as the new highway built there in the late 1990s continues to experience frost heave. Its important to plan ahead and make sure you have enough fuel to reach the next station in case one is closed or has limited hours of operation. It is an invaluable 768 page book that documents the entire trip including every gas station and motel along the way. Dease Lake with the Alaska Highway. The Alaska Highway, also known as the Alcan Highway, is a remote road that runs through Canada and Alaska, so gasoline can be more expensive than in urban areas. is the place to drive in summer for long daylight hours, unspoiled wilderness and unlimited fishing, hiking and outdoor enjoyment. The campground here is really pretty and a great place to stop for a night if its later in the season (or you have warmer blankets than we had). In order to post comments, please make sure JavaScript and Cookies are enabled, and reload the page. Visit 202 places on the ALCAN with Scan QR and go for easy navigation. Detouring from here to the Golden Circle was a really nice change of scenery for us. We slept in our van. While Watson Lake and Tok are very small (were talking one block long) but big enough to fuel up, grab a bite, and find a place to stay if needed. The speed limit will be in kilometers per hour (KPH), where 1 mile = 1.61 kilometers. It's a beautiful drive! Understand . Have you ever wondered what it would be like to drive the Alaska Highway? Are you curious what grand adventures await for you in The Last Frontier? There are pit toilets and well water but not much else for amenities. You could easily drive the Alaska Highway straight through and just go have a blast in Alaska, but chances are youll need to stop occasionally to sleep or stretch your legs so here are the top 5 places Id plan on doing that: The mountains surrounding Muncho Lake are jaw dropping gorgeous, although so are most of the mountains in Alaska. The Alaska Highway is plowed in the winter by both the Canadian and the Alaskan governments, so it is in good condition and driveable year-round. There's a lot of straight road the first 300 miles of highway, between Dawson Creek and Fort Nelson. I wanted to make sure I got a campsite as close to town as possible since I was planning on spending a few days here. We melted snow while we are at Hot Springs . But you'll still want to top off when the opportunity presents itself (Baie-Comeau, Manic 5, Relais Gabriel, Labrador City, Churchill Falls, HV-GB, Port Hope Simpson, Red Bay). Any other tips besides keep extra gas, and winter gear? While the Alaskan Highway provides so many opportunities to learn about history, its not the driving force in my life right now. We pretty much drove the stretch from Dawson Creek to Muncho Lake in one day. thanks! Snow, muddy roads and rain is likely. Another night we camped right on the water and saw many sea otters playing right in from of the campground. I drove the Alcan February 15, 2017 . In some areas, gas stations may be closer together, while in other areas they may be farther apart. The longest distance in the continental US between gas stations is apparently 179 miles on NV/OR 140 between Winnemucca NV and Lakeview OR. If you are looking to explore more of the Canadian Rockies, click here to read our Canada National Parks Road Trip Itinerary. I want to hook up on a round trip from Seward to Anchorage & turn to Seward on the train, I want to find out if I can return via ALCAN highway driving back to the lower 48. Navigation will be by using GPS/DGPS,GLONASS & hard copy Road Maps. Occasionally you may hit a station that is "sold out" due to a caravan stopping, etc. Range Reserve. I wish it had a few more pull offs because it is way more scenicthan the Alaskan Highway. The main reason Id fly to Alaska next time is purely because the absolute best part of Alaska for us was the Kenai Peninsula. Gas stations are few and far between, If youre hungry get food the next time its available. Luckily, I carried extra gas because some of the stations were still not open in April. The bears along the side of the road were the best part of the trip. In the winter, theres a business open around every 100 miles or so. The U.S. Army commandeered equipment of all kinds, including local riverboats, railway locomotives, and housing originally meant for use in southern California. Ford f159 pulling 7x14ft enclosed trailer. Finding and Pricing Gas I believe the longest distance in Baja is about 250km, and that includes a few stops consisting of "a guy with a barrel by the side of the road". Driving the Alaskan Highway is super easy, straight forward, and youre never that far from a city or someone who can help out. You want me to write all of the addresses down for gas stations all along the nearly 1,400 mile Alaska Highway? It was heavenly! With stops, this can take a full day. (See the end of this blog for details on exact cost of fuel.). The highway winds through the Yukon for about 885 km (550 miles) and crosses into Alaska at mile 1221 (km 1964). But to be on the safe side, as mentioned above, drive on the upper half of your fuel tank. My kids will remember seeing 17 bears on May 17th for the rest of their lives. 867-536-2794. . We took our time getting going from Muncho Lake since the scenery at Strawberry Flats was so incredible. Weve flown to Europe and New Zealand with just a backpack on our backs and road tripped through them but it was hard traveling so lightly. 1986 Monte Carlo SS Today it's a small fishing community with about 2800 permanent residents and doubles in the summer with . The Denali Highway stretches 135 miles from Paxson to Cantwell, connecting the Richardson and Parks highways. It took seven days, and three of the days, the roads were snow covered and slippery in many areas. :-). Northern B.C. Gas, diesel, propane, groceries, RV dump and water. Just another note there was no lines to follow the road because the road was snow-covered so you never know if you were on the right side of the road and the roads go straight up and down and sharp right and sharp loves like roller coasters it was so much fun driving them . Currently you have JavaScript disabled. Additionally, in case of emergency, its a good idea to have a full gas can with you. Im going to post some videos to YouTube about our trip it was amazing and I would do it again . Also which route is the best for that time of year. I had to throw this one in for anyone who is like my husband. M38A1. Are you driving from Alaska or to Alaska? My son, his dog and I drove from Anchorage to Denver the second week in November, 2016. Our Height will be 13 maximum. According to Guinness World Records, the Pan-American Highway is the world's longest "motorable road". Much of the road will be a two-lane paved asphalt highway with a gravel shoulder wide enough for the typical vehicle. Categories Alaska, North America Road Trips, 25 Epic Things To Do Near Anchorage, Alaska. The distance between gas stations on the Alaska Highway (also known as the Alcan Highway) can vary depending on the specific location. From Anchorage, take Alaska Route 1 (AK-1, also called Glenn Highway) to Glennallen. Fuel is more expensive and gas stations and not as frequent as they are in other areas. The Cassiar Highway junctions with Yellowhead Highway 16 at Milepost PG 298, Skeena River bridge, and travels north to junction with the Alaska Highway at Milepost DC 626.2, 13.3 miles/21.4 km west of Watson Lake, YT. While I drove this by myself with my kids, if Victor had been with us, he wouldve needed to find a gym along the way to get his swoll on (I couldnt say it with a straight face). Truly. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. A corduroy road was built to restore the route, and corduroy still underlays old sections of highway in the area. While there are places you can stop along the way, the Alaskan Highway section only took us a total of 5 driving days, but this doesnt include the detour we took driving the Golden Circle and to Valdez, plus, 3 of those were only half days of driving. I think this is the longest stretch on a major highway in Ontario w/o gas. I plan on carrying two (2) firearms, a rifle & a shotgun + send a pistol up to AK (as a retd LEO there are now CCDW Issues to resolve in any U.S. location but Canada is not a handgun-friendly nation. Copyright 2023 Nomads With A Purpose | Trellis Framework by Mediavine. It can freeze overnight starting mid-September up there so icy roads are possible in the mornings. Plan on it taking at least 6.5 hours plus any stops you want to make. Is it your dream to pile your kids in the car and head out on a road trip to Alaska? The road was winding and snaked through various tunnels and bridges, while taking you alongside the railroad tracks and all their bridges and tunnels. Because Ice Rd., Parkway was closed. You can easily explore Lake Louise in one day and if you do, click here to get details on the best hike at Lake Louise. Tanana Trading Post and Tesoro Gas station to South side of highway. Driving solo with the dog down the Alcan December 16th, leaving from Glenallen, heading to Vancouver, BC. Although the Alaska Highway was completed on October 28, 1942 and was celebrated at Soldiers Summit on November 21st (and broadcast by radio, the exact outdoor temperature censored due to wartime concerns), the highway was not usable by general vehicles until 1943.