17Behold, the days come, that all that is in thine house, and that which thy fathers have laid up in store unto this day, shall be carried into Babylon: nothing shall be left, saith the Lord. 4And it came to pass, afore Isaiah was gone out into the middle court, that the word of the LORD came to him, saying, In those dayes was Hezekiah sicke vnto death: and the Prophet Isaiah the sonne of Amos came to him, and saide vnto him, Thus saith the Lord, Set thine house in order: for thou shalt die, and not liue.- King James Version (1611) - View 1611 Bible ScanIn those days Hezekiah became mortally ill. And Isaiah the prophet the son of Amoz came to him and said to him, "Thus says the LORD, 'Set your house in order, for you shall die and not live. 6I will add fifteen years to your life. God may, in His merciful wisdom, grant a reprieve for a time (Ive seen cases where Im confident that God had intervened), but death will come. Manasseh succeeds Hezekiah. Isaiah the prophet the son of Amoz came to him, and said to him, "Thus says Yahweh, 'Set your house in order; for you shall die, and not live. 14Then Isaiah the prophet went to King Hezekiah and asked, What did those men say, and where did they come from?, From a distant land, Hezekiah replied. And Isaiah the prophet the son of Amoz came to him and said to him, "Thus says the LORD, 'Set your house in order, for you shall die; you shall not recover.'" Berean Standard Bible In those days Hezekiah became mortally ill. Hezekiah wept bitterly. Set, &c. - Make thy will, and settle the affairs of thy family and kingdom. This Bible class was originally taught by Dr. Justin Imel, Sr., at the Dale Ridge church of Christ in Roanoke, Virginia. Hezekiah's dangerous illness was caused by the discord between him and Isaiah, each of whom desired that the other should pay him the first visit. I have a message for you from the Lord. God would defend His city. 22 Hezekiah also had said, What is the sign that I shall go up to the house of the LORD? They came from Babylon., 15The prophet asked, What did they see in your palace?, They saw everything in my palace, Hezekiah said. And the prophet Isaiah the son of Amoz came to him and said to him, Thus saith Jehovah: Set thy house in order; for thou shalt die, and not live.- Darby BibleIn those days was Hezekiah sick to death. There was nothing in his palace or in all his kingdom that Hezekiah did not show them. In those days ties Hezekiahs illness to the previous two chapters where the siege of Jerusalem by Sennacherib is detailed. 2Then he turned his face to the wall, and prayed unto the LORD, saying, 3I beseech thee, O LORD, remember now how I have walked before thee in truth and with a perfect heart, and have done that which is good in thy sight. Thus we understand Hezekiah's sole reign upon the death of his father to have begun around 715 B.C. 2Hezekiah turned toward the wall and prayed, 3Don't forget that I have been faithful to you, Lord. But his sickness must have come right beforeearlier in the same year as the invasion. Therefore, we will proceed on what appears to be the likelier suppositionthat Hezekiah became ill prior to Sennacherib's invasion. 14. Start your free trial today! By submitting your email address, you understand that you will receive email communications from Bible Gateway, a division of The Zondervan Corporation, 3900 Sparks Drive SE, Grand Rapids, MI 49546 USA, including commercial communications and messages from partners of Bible Gateway. Does God still give us signs today? or be with those who now dwell in this world. It would seem that this demonstrates that miracles primarily had the purpose of creating faith. 3 And said, Remember now, O LORD, I beseech thee, how I have walked before thee in truth and with a perfect heart, and have done that which is good in thy sight. Throughout Scripture, we find people suffering illness. King James Version. I heard you pray, and I saw you cry. 18 h In the third year of Hoshea son of Elah, king of Israel, i Hezekiah the son of Ahaz, king of Judah, began to reign. And Isaiah the prophet the son of Amoz came unto him, and said unto him, Thus saith the LORD, Set thine house in order: for thou shalt die, and not live. Hezekiah asked God to remember how he had walked faithfully and wholeheartedly, doing what pleases the Lord (v.2). Isaiah 38:1 In those days was Hezekiah sick unto death. Athletes discipline themselves for races. 17(A) One day everything you and your ancestors have stored up will be taken to Babylonia. Want the Verse of the Day sent to your inbox? 2 Samuel 17:23 And when Ahithophel saw that his counsel was not followed, he saddled his ass, and arose, and gat him home to his house, to his city, and put his household in order, and hanged himself, and died, and was buried in the sepulchre of his father. 1In those days was Hezekiah sick unto death. Join today!. Your house and your kingdom shall be established forever before you. 1). He went straight to the house of the Lord and spread the letter out before the Lord. However, many act as though if were living right we should never have to face illness or death. Hezekiah walked with God and could pray out of a heart in step with his Master. Whatever our circumstances may be, we can get some guidance, help, or comfort from that treasure-house of wisdom and . Jeremiah 18:7-10 At what instant I shall speak concerning a nation, and concerning a kingdom, to pluck up, and to pull down, and to destroy it; , Jonah 3:4-10 And Jonah began to enter into the city a day's journey, and he cried, and said, Yet forty days, and Nineveh shall be overthrown. 14Then came Isaiah the prophet unto king Hezekiah, and said unto him, What said these men? 5Turn again, and tell Hezekiah the captain of my people, Thus saith the Lord, the God of David thy father, I have heard thy prayer, I have seen thy tears: behold, I will heal thee: on the third day thou shalt go up unto the house of the Lord. You are going to die, so you had better start doing what needs to be done." Hezekiah turned toward the wall and prayed, "Don't forget that I have been faithful to . Elijah was a man with a nature like ours, and he prayed earnestly that it would not rain; and it did not rain on the land for three years and six months. You are going to die, so you had better start doing what needs to be done.. NIV Reverse Interlinear Bible: English to Hebrew and English to Greek. 8. 20About this time, Hezekiah got sick and was almost dead. '", In those days was Hezekiah sick to death. . The effective, fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much. And Isaiah the prophet, the son of Amoz, came to him, and said to him, The Lord says, Put your house in order, for your death is near.- Basic English BibleIn those days Hezekiah was sick unto death. (AH)I will walk humbly(AI) all my yearsbecause of this anguish of my soul. King James Version (KJV). One time King Hezekiah became very ill. Hezekiah as a Reformer. Sign up now for the latest news and deals from Bible Gateway! ). The life of Hezekiah is described in the Bible book of 2 Kings, chapters 18-20. But how can it go back?, 11Isaiah prayed, and the Lord made the shadow go back ten steps on the stairway built for King Ahaz.[b]. 2 He was j twenty-five years old when he began to reign, and he reigned twenty-nine years in Jerusalem. So the sun returned ten degrees, by which degrees it was gone down. It is truly staggering to contemplate. I feel sorry for Isaiah when reading this passage. 13And Hezekiah hearkened unto them, and shewed them all the house of his precious things, the silver, and the gold, and the spices, and the precious ointment, and all the house of his armour, and all that was found in his treasures: there was nothing in his house, nor in all his dominion, that Hezekiah shewed them not. 15But what can I say? The prophet Isaiah son of Amoz(B) went to him and said, This is what the Lord says: Put your house in order,(C) because you are going to die; you will not recover.(D). Hezekiah answered, I showed them everything in my kingdom.. And the prophet Isaiah the son of Amoz came to him, and said unto him, Thus saith the LORD, Set thine house in order; for thou shalt die, and not live. 2 Chronicles 32:24-26 In those days Hezekiah was sick to the death, and prayed unto the LORD: and he spake unto him, and he gave him a sign, Isaiah 38:1-20 In those days was Hezekiah sick unto death. 18And some of your descendants,(O) your own flesh and blood who will be born to you, will be taken away, and they will become eunuchs in the palace of the king of Babylon.(P), 19The word of the Lord you have spoken is good, Hezekiah replied. (AJ)16Lord, by such things people live;and my spirit finds life in them too.You restored me to healthand let me live. Ellicott's Commentary for English Readers, OT History: 2 Kings 20:1 In those days was Hezekiah sick (2Ki iiKi ii ki 2 kg 2kg). We live in two worlds at the same time; so everything in life has in it a two-fold lesson. 6And I will deliver you and this city from the hand of the king of Assyria. 7Then Isaiah said, Prepare a poultice of figs. They did so and applied it to the boil,(H) and he recovered. 6And I will add unto thy days fifteen years; and I will deliver thee and this city out of the hand of the king of Assyria; and I will defend this city for mine own sake, and for my servant David's sake. The action you just performed triggered the security solution. God would add 15 years to Hezekiahs life. And the prophet Isaiah the son of Amoz came to him, and said unto him, Thus saith the LORD, Set thine house in order; for thou shalt die, and not live. 18(B) Some of your own sons will be taken to Babylonia, where they will be disgraced and made to serve in the king's palace. Set thine house in order.--The margin is right (Comp. Isaiahs message was: Set your house in order, for you shall die and not live. What is involved in setting our houses in order? Therefore, I can never know for certain why prayers were answered the way they were. Isaiah the prophet the son of Amoz came to him, and said to him, "Thus says Yahweh, 'Set your house in order; for you shall die, and not live. I am being threatened; Lord, come to my aid!. And the prophet Isaiah the son of Amoz came to him, and said unto him, Thus saith the LORD, Set thine house in order; for thou shalt die, and not live." Hezekiah was sick and near death (v 1). If you have any questions, please review our Privacy Policy or email us at privacy@biblegateway.com. 2 Kings 20:1 KJV. Performance & security by Cloudflare. Isaiah had not even left the palace when the word of the Lord came and told him that Hezekiah would live another 15 years (2 Ki 20:4). In Hezekiah's case, perhaps God supernaturally healed part of Hezekiah's problem and let natural healing methods alleviate the other part. Since Hezekiah's life is extended 15 years beyond his sickness, this would place his sickness in 701. Hezekiah was the son of king Ahaz and Abijah. 2Hezekiah turned his face to the wall and prayed to the Lord, 3Remember, Lord, how I have walked(E) before you faithfully and with wholehearted devotion(F) and have done what is good in your eyes. 1-2; II Chron. We have no idea how long the king had been ill, nor do we know the extent of his illness (its very likely that his illness was one that could easily be treated today). 2 Kings 20 1. Hezekiah 's Sickness. he hath both spoken unto me, and himself hath done, Behold, for peace I had great bitterness: but thou hast in love to my soul, For the grave cannot praise thee, death can, The living, the living, he shall praise thee, as I, For Isaiah had said, Let them take a lump of figs, and lay. Irwin. Hezekiah prayed to God, and God granted him another 15 years of life. Isaiah prayed to God, and the miracle was done. 16 O Lord, by these things men live, and in all these things is the life of my spirit: so wilt thou recover me, and make me to live. And the prophet Isaiah the son of Amoz came to him, and said to him, Thus said the LORD, Set your house in order; for you shall die, and not live. By submitting your email address, you understand that you will receive email communications from Bible Gateway, a division of The Zondervan Corporation, 3900 Sparks Drive SE, Grand Rapids, MI 49546 USA, including commercial communications and messages from partners of Bible Gateway. Righteous Hezekiah, who lived from 721-691 B.C., was the son of the ungodly king Ahaz. And Isaiah the prophet the son of Amoz came unto him, and said unto him, Thus saith the LORD, Set thine house in order: for thou shalt die, and not live. I will defend this city as an honor to me and to my servant David. The Bible describes Hezekiah as a king who had a close relationship with God, one who did "what was good and right and faithful before the LORD his God" ( 2 Chronicles 31:20 ). '- Jewish Publication Society Bible. KJV, Thinline Bible, Large Print, Red Letter Edition, Comfort Print: Holy Bible, King James Version, KJV, Journal the Word Bible, Large Print, Red Letter Edition: Reflect, Journal, or Create Art Next to Your Favorite Verses, KJV, Deluxe Reference Bible, Super Giant Print, Red Letter Edition, Comfort Print, KJV, The King James Study Bible, Red Letter, Full-Color Edition: KJV Holy Bible, KJV, Value Thinline Bible, Large Print, Red Letter Edition, Comfort Print: Holy Bible, King James Version, KJV, Word Study Bible, Red Letter Edition: 1,700 Key Words that Unlock the Meaning of the Bible. And the prophet Isaiah the son of Amoz came to him, and said to him, Thus said the LORD. But, death was the inevitable outcome. Sickness affects us all from time to time. Important: Hezekiah was still going to die. 19 The living, the living, he shall praise thee, as I do this day: the father to the children shall make known thy truth. I will heal you, so that three days from now you will be able to worship in my temple. When I read that text, Im always amazed that Paul (apparently) was unable to heal Epaphroditus. Sign up now for the latest news and deals from Bible Gateway! (AP)18For the grave(AQ) cannot praise you,death cannot sing your praise;(AR)those who go down to the pit(AS)cannot hope for your faithfulness.19The living, the livingthey praise(AT) you,as I am doing today;parents tell their children(AU)about your faithfulness. 20Everything else Hezekiah did while he was king, including his brave deeds and how he made the upper pool and tunnel bring water into Jerusalem, is written in The History of the Kings of Judah. Gospel of Matthew Chapter 21 Martin Luthers Translation of the Bible. And the prophet Isaiah the son of Amoz came to him, and said unto him, Thus saith the Lord, Set thine house in order; for thou shalt die, and not live. In those days was Hezekiah sick to death. If you have any questions, please review our Privacy Policy or email us at privacy@biblegateway.com. 20 The LORD was ready to save me: therefore we will sing my songs to the stringed instruments all the days of our life in the house of the LORD. Jesus proves that to be true. 2 Then he turned his face to the wall, and prayed unto the LORD, saying, 3 I beseech thee, O LORD, remember now how I have walked before thee in truth and with a perfect heart . His mother, Abijah (also called Abi), [6] was a daughter of the high priest Zechariah. Your throne shall be established forever (2 Sam 7:16). Hezekiah's sickness and healing Later, King Hezekiah became very sick, and Isaiah told him to set his house for he will die (2 Kings 20:1). He has spoken to me, and he himself has done this. In those days Hezekiah became sick and was at the point of death. Isaiah the prophet the son of Amoz came to him, and said to him, "Thus says Yahweh, 'Set your house in order; for you shall die, and not live. Hezekiah's Illness 38 In those days Hezekiah became ill and was at the point of death. 15 What shall I say? We know, of course, the power in prayer. Cloudflare Ray ID: 7c0bdc281c8ba4b3 In those days was Hezekiah sick unto death. In those days was Hezekiah sick unto death. The Bible says his illness came "in those days" (2 Kings 20:1; 2 Chronicles 32:24; Isaiah 38:1)that is, in the days of Sennacherib's invasion. The prophet Isaiah son of Amoz went to him and said, This is what the Lord says: Put your house in order, because you are going to die; you will not recover.. 19Hezekiah thought, At least our nation will be at peace for a while. So he told Isaiah, The message you brought me from the Lord is good..