Maia's mom, Shikiri, is afashion entrepreneurand studiedbroadcast journalism at USC. / KCAL News. In 2017, Shikirishared their story onInstagramfor Maia's 22nd birthday,writing, "We were so young, wanting nothing more than to be your parents." He continued: "She came into our lives just as we were both coming of age as adults and has been a constant beloved presence for both of us. It is with incredible sadness that I have to share the news about the passing of my beautiful Daughter Maia, he wrote. "Our thoughts are with Keyshawn and his family as they deal with this unthinkable tragedy," ESPN said in a statement. Published on March 15, 2021 10:43 PM Former NFL receiver Keyshawn Johnson's oldest daughter, Maia, has died. "He has the full support of his ESPN family.". "Four months later, your dad became the number one draft pick, our lives were forever changed. We've received your submission. It said: "Our thoughts are with Keyshawn and his family as they deal with this unthinkable tragedy. This website or its third-party tools process personal data.In case of sale of your personal information, you may opt out by using the link. For an optimal experience visit our site on another browser. Keyshawn Johnson is mourning the death of his daughter, Maia Hightower-Johnson, who has died at age 25. The sports talk show host met Maias mother, Shikiri Hightower, at the University of Southern California, and she gave birth to their daughter when she was a sophomore, Yahoo! The circumstances surrounding her death were not immediately disclosed. The cause of Maia Johnson's death has not been identified yet. https://t.co/tQFc6R6Txk. Shortly after he shared the post, ESPN released a supportive statement. Before retiring nearly 15 years ago,Keyshawnplayed for theNew York Jets, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Dallas Cowboys and Carolina Panthers. "Maia, as my first born child, has been the joy of my, and her Mother Shikiri's, life.". Johnson and Shikiri Hightower were married from 1998 to 2002. He retired from the NFL in 2007 and joined ESPN as a football analyst. She was. Maia Johnson was the firstborn daughter of Keyshawn Johnson and his ex-wife Shikiri Hightower. These cookies help provide information on metrics the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc. Learn about careers at Cox Media Group. It read,"Our thoughts are with Keyshawn and his family as they deal with this unthinkable tragedy. Celebrity Deaths in 2021 Read article "It is with incredible sadness that I have to share the news . "Four months later, your dad became the number one draft pick, our lives were forever changed. Keyshawn Johnson (@keyshawn) March 15, 2021. "Thank you all, God Bless.". He continued: "She came into our lives just as we were both coming of age as adults and has been a constant beloved presence for both of us. He also has two other children with current wife Jennifer Conrad. Heartbroken dad issues warning after son, 13, dies in TikTok challenge, Red flag after possible suspect in missing brothers case made eerie request, Two dead and four injured after 19-year-old 'opens fire at prom after party', $80k reward offered for shooting suspect Francisco Oropesa after five killed, 2020 THE SUN, US, INC. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED | TERMS OF USE | PRIVACY | YOUR AD CHOICES | SITEMAP, Maia Johnson, 25, died on Monday, March 15, 2021, Keyshawn Johnson said he is 'heartbroken and devastated' by Maia's loss. The two were married from 1998 to 2002. The oldest daughter of former NFL player and current ESPN commentator Keyshawn Johnson has died. Getty Keyshawn Johnson holds his daughter after helping the Buccaneers win Super Bowl XXXVII. Thank you all, God Bless. She came into our lives just as we were both coming of age as adults and has been a constant beloved presence for both of us. "Thank you all, God Bless. Johnson made the announcement on social media on Monday, writing:. The two were married from 1998-2002 and . single family homes for rent in hamden, ct recent deaths in greenfield,ca Menu . ", "We are heartbroken and devastated by her loss. He tweeted, "Maia, as my first born child, has been . She was 25. A graduate of Rutgers University, he is the married father of two kids who believe he is ridiculous. NFL Star Adam Thielen Honors Late Alex Trebek on His Monday Night Football Cleats, Louis Nix III, Former Notre Dame Star and NFL Player, Dies at 29, By signing up, you agree to our They also have a 22-year-old son, Keyshawn Johnson Jr. Back in 2017, Shikiri shared an Instagram post detailing the pair's story for Maia's 22 birthday. Keyshawn Johnson, Sr.. No cause of death has been given for Maia Johnson. Johnson did not note the cause of death. He has the full support of his ESPN family.". Maia, as my first born child, has been the joy of my, and her Mother Shikiris, life. Former NFL star Keyshawn Johnson broke the sad news on social media Monday that his oldest daughter, Maia, has died at 25. All rights Reserved. Just four months before he was drafted by the New York Jets in 1996, he and then-girlfriend Shikiri Hightower welcomed a daughter together named Maia Johnson. This station is part of Cox Media Group Television. "It is with incredible sadness that I have to share the news about the passing of my beautiful Daughter Maia. Former NFL wide receiver and current ESPN analyst Keyshawn Johnson announced the passing of his eldest daughter, Maia, on Monday night. "Our thoughts are with Keyshawn and his family as they deal with this unthinkable tragedy. section: | slug: keyshawn-johnsons-daughter-maia-johnson-dies-at-25-we-are-heartbroken-and-devastated | sport: football | route: article_single.us | Keyshawn Johnson is mourning the death of his daughter, MaiaHightower-Johnson, who has died at age 25. Keyshawn Johnson is mourning the death of his daughter, Maia Hightower-Johnson, who has died at. She was 25. Following Johnsons announcement of his daughters passing, ESPN said this in a statement: Our thoughts are with Keyshawn and his family as they deal with this unthinkable tragedy. The cookie is set by the GDPR Cookie Consent plugin and is used to store whether or not user has consented to the use of cookies. Johnson announced the death of his daughter Maia on social media. Inslee says he wont be running for fourth term, Multiple-vehicle collision completely blocks westbound I-90 near Issaquah, Redfin says Seattle ranks 6th among metro areas being abandoned by homebuyers, College baseball player shot in middle of game while standing in bullpen, Thousands of Amazon workers returning to offices after 3 years of working from home. We also all appreciate your support and respect for our privacy as we move forward. We are heartbroken and devastated by her loss. Keyshawn Johnson, Sr.. The EPSN NFL analyst and radio host shared the news on social mediaalong with an emotional tribute to his late daughter. To see all content on The Sun, please use the Site Map. Johnson joined ESPN as an analyst in 2007 after an 11-season career in the NFL where he played wide receiver for the Jets, Buccaneers, Cowboys and Panthers. "We went from inconspicuously driving you around campus in a beat up used Honda to life in a fish bowl, all eyes on us, without us truly understanding what that meant. Copyright 2023 NBCUniversal Media, LLC. & 2023 CBS Studios Inc. and CBS Interactive Inc., Paramount companies. He played 11 seasons in the NFL with the Jets, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Dallas Cowboys and Carolina Panthers. Former NFL star Keyshawn Johnson announced the death of his first-born daughter, Maia Johnson, on Monday. You also have the option to opt-out of these cookies. He has seen every episode of Saved by the Bell at least 50 times, longs to perfect the crane kick from The Karate Kid and performs stand-up comedy, while also cheering on the New York Yankees and New York Giants. Shikiri was a 19-year-old student and Keyshawn was 22, when they had Maia, in 1995. He is also dad to Keyshawn Jr., 22, as well as London, Vance and Shyla Johnson. CBS Sports is a registered trademark of CBS Broadcasting Inc. Commissioner.com is a registered trademark of CBS Interactive Inc. site: media | arena: nfl | pageType: stories | The 48-year-old shared Maia with his ex-wife, Shikiri Hightower, who gave birth to her in 1996 just months before Johnson was drafted into the NFL. Thank you all, God Bless.". 1 pick of the 1996 NFL Draft announced via Twitter on Monday. Keyshawn Johnson, Sr.. Absolutely, but I believe God allows us to make mistakes, for us to learn, to understand how to win. Ricky Ross has a handle on good business practices, Michael Maliakel and Dennis Stowe discuss diversity of Aladdin Broadway cast, Afro B taps into his traditional sound with latest song Casamigos, Timbaland was inspired by Mother Nature for some of his biggest hits, Beauty entrepreneur Aaliyah Thompson named a McDonalds Change Leader, Larenz Tate thinks Hollywood values Black British actors more. "The Sun", "Sun", "Sun Online" are registered trademarks or trade names of News Group Newspapers Limited. Keyshawn Johnson had to share some incredibly sad news on Monday, March 15, when he took to social media to announce the death of his first-born daughter Maia. All Rights Reserved. *Terms apply. Your source for entertainment news, celebrities, celeb news, and celebrity gossip. Absolutely, but I believe God allows us to make mistakes, for us to learn, to understand how to win. He currently serves as an NFL analyst on ESPN's NFL Live and co-hosts ESPN Radio's weekday morning show, Keyshawn, JWill & Zubin with Jay Williams and Zubin Mehenti. Shikiri was a 19-year-old student and Keyshawn was 22, when they had Maia, in 1995. These cookies ensure basic functionalities and security features of the website, anonymously. It is with incredible sadness that I have to share the news about the passing of my beautiful Daughter Maia, Johnson wrote on Twitter. Hightower has not publicly commented on Maias death. No cause of death has been given for Maia Johnson. Shikiri, Maias siblings, our family and me appreciate your thoughts and prayers at this difficult time.We also all appreciate your support and respect for our privacy as we move forward," he said. "Throughout our journey, we literally have been growing up, figuring life out, together," Shikiri said. We went from inconspicuously driving you around campus in a beat up used Honda to life in a fish bowl, all eyes on us, without us truly understanding what that meant. Back in 2017, Shikiri shared an Instagram post detailing the pair's story for Maia's 22 birthday. Keyshawn Johnson is mourning the death of his daughter, Maia Hightower-Johnson, who has died at age 25. The cause of Maia Johnson's death has not been identified yet. Met Gala Drama: The 14 Most Jaw-Dropping Moments to Ever Happen at Fashion's Biggest Night, Anna Wintour Reveals She Could Not Afford Dinner at the Met Gala in Her Early New York City Days, Met Gala 2023: Dua Lipa, Michaela Coel, Penlope Cruz and More to Co-Chair, Everything to Know About the 2023 Met Gala Honoring Karl Lagerfeld, The 15 Best Mother's Day Gift Ideas for Grandma That Show You Care, 15 Best Star Wars Day 2023 Deals at Amazon Right Now. 1 overall pick in the 1996 NFL draft out of the University of Southern California, played with four teams over 11 seasons in the league and won a Super Bowl with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. "Shikiri, Maia's siblings, our family and me appreciate your thoughts and prayers at this difficult time.". A former USC star and the first-overall pick in the 1996 NFL Draft, Johnson spent four impressive seasons with the Jets before failed contract negotiations led to him being traded to the Buccaneers. Devils trust their 'mood' will help them oust Rangers in Game 7, Vincent Trocheck, Rangers know winning formula it will take to claim Game 7, The Marchand and Ourand Sports Media Podcast, The Show with Joel Sherman and Jon Heyman, Amazin' But True: A NY Mets Baseball Podcast, Gangs All Here: A NY Jets Football Podcast, Scott Disick steps out in NYC with Penelope, North West ahead of Met Gala, Woman has 'loud, full body orgasm' in the middle of LA concert. Shikri and Keyshawn got married two years later. What happened to Keyshawn Johnson's daughter? Maia, as my first born child, has been the joy of my, and her Mother Shikiris, life," the former NFL star wrote. In the post, she called Maia "my fearless, beautiful, intelligent, well-traveled, resourceful daughter," and "my mini-me. We are heartbroken and devastated by her loss, Keyshawn Johnson said of the loss of his daughter Maia. Keyshawn Johnson, Sr.", A post shared by Keyshawn Johnson (@keyshawn). "Our thoughts are with Keyshawn and his family as they deal with this unthinkable tragedy. Shikiri, Maias siblings, our family and me appreciate your thoughts and prayers at this difficult time. "We were so young, wanting nothing more than to be your parents. March 16, 2021 / 4:30 AM "We are heartbroken and devastated by her loss. Maia Hightower was the daughter of ESPN radio host and former NFL player Keyshawn Johnson. In a thread posted to Twitter, Johnson wrote, "It is with incredible sadness that I have to share the news about the passing of my beautiful Daughter Maia. We are heartbroken and devastated by her loss, he wrote. He appeared in Super Bowl XXXVII with Tampa Bay. We are heartbroken and devastated by her loss. The cookie is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Other. He currently works as a commentator for ESPN and hosts Keyshawn, JWill & Zubin with Jay Williams and Zubin Mehenti on ESPN Radio. ", Details surrounding his daughter's death were not made clear, but the former wide receiver said his family is "devastatedby her loss. Johnson, the No. Johnson and Hightower were married from 1998 to 2002 and also have a son, Keyshawn Johnson Jr., according to Yahoo Sports. It is with incredible sadness that I have to share the news about the passing of my beautiful Daughter Maia. Maia's mom, Shikiri, is a fashion entrepreneur and studied broadcast journalism at the University of Southern California. He and Shikiri Hightower, his wife from 1998 to 2002, brought Maia into the world in 1995. Former NFL star Keyshawn Johnson shared heartbreaking news Monday. ", The athlete concluded his message by saying, "We also all appreciate your support and respect for our privacy as we move forward. 1 pick of the 1996 NFL Draft announced via Twitter on Monday. Former pro football player Keyshawn Johnson announced the tragic death of his daughter, Maia Johnson.