Even in moments where Chiasson won key points, VanPelts confidence never seemed to waver. Shawnee Mission South has its golden age, leading Kansas with 22 titles in 10 sports, including four straight in boys gymnastics (1975-77). He would tell me how to shoot and dribble on the sideline while he was running practice, and I would do my best to try to impress him and do what he told me. Ive done clubs my whole life so its been kind of the same thing and my (club) team doesnt have a lot of guys my age. Nemaha Central wins three straight volleyball titles while going back-to-back in football and girls basketball in the same school years (2012-14). Senior Anna Newsome (15-16) vs. Shawnee Mill Valley junior Brianna Coup (23-8): Newcome fell to Coup (0-6, 1-6) in her opening match. Theres where she relies on everything she does outside of the high school tennis season, Clark said. . Topeka Hayden was arguably the top small school across all sports with 19 titles in nine sports. Sunflower League at State Bowling. Sophomore Katie Krummins (24-11) vs. winner of Andover senior Sarah Sinclair (23-7)/Newton senior Madelyn Hamm (17-11): Kummins fell to Sinclair (0-6, 3-6) in her first match. BOYS TENNIS SEASON SEASON WIN/LOSS RECORDS - 2022-2023 Scores and win/loss records will be updated throughout the season by each member school. As the boys tennis season begins, here are 50 of the Wichita-area's top players: 50 of the top Wichita-area players Note: Players are sorted in alphabetical order. Register My Athlete InstructionsRegister My Athlete Instructions(Spanish), Fall SportsB/G Cross CountryB/G FootballGirls Volleyball, Winter SportsGirls Basketball B/G WrestlingBoys BasketballB/G Bowling, USD 475 Student GuidebookAthletic Travel Consent, Brad Bascue, Athletic Director(785) 717-4500, Anna Bradley, Athletic Secretary(785) 717-4415, function googleTranslateElementInit() { Kansas 66227 Phone: 913-254-4200 | Fax: 913-254-4221 Sophomore Zoe Cachiguango-Latta and freshman Camille Lee picked up a win in their first match before dropping two matches to end their season. Speech, Debate & Theatre Directors & Judges, Changes in High School Wrestling Rules Include Allowance of Six Matches in One Day of Competition, Ephesus Sports Lighting Renews Corporate Partnership with NFHS, NFHS Learning Center Adding Middle School Coaching Course, Credential Program, World Drumming Can Fit into Any School Music Program, Recommending Summer Speech and Debate Camp for Students. She won the event with a time of 12:47.6. Kansas High School Tennis Results. Free State's Kinley VanPelt completed an undefeated season by winning the Class 6A state singles title on Saturday at Ralph Wurz Riverside Tennis Center in Wichita. We assumed, if she took care of her job, that shed be facing the best player that was left, Clark said. We recommend registering online BEFORE YOU GET YOUR PHYSICAL SO YOU CAN PRINT THE PHYSICAL PAPERS FROM FINAL FORMS! I would always follow him to the gym for practice. Caryl and Carpenter would fall to Fritz and Kucera in the semifinals and fell to Manhattan's Ava Bahr and Hannah Loub in the losers bracket to finish fourth. It didnt take long before they saw a large fish near the boat. So its a really fun atmosphere and theyre always really supportive. Please send your Nominations for the 2023 Hall of Fame Class. Short was a part of a great Saturday of tennis for the Redbirds. She starred in four sports at Claflin (Kansas) High School from 1993 to 1997. Stiles: People always ask me what the key to my success was. Its not by accident that she got here, Clark said. Baldwin wins 19 titles with 16 of them coming in either cross country or track and field. Bishop Miege became arguably the most respected name in Kansas high school sports with 33 titles, including streaks of six in football (2014-19), five in volleyball (2010-15), four in boys soccer to end the decade, four in girls basketball (2014-17), four in girls soccer to end the decade, plus three in boys basketball (2016-18). Wed, Mar/29 Final. Class 6A -- Dodge City HS Regional School Coach Dodge City HS David Snodgrass Central Plains won 13 championships, including a six-year run in girls basketball that set the Kansas record and longest streak in the country in 67 years for consecutive wins at 136. St. James Academy won seven volleyball titles in 10 years, including four straight (2010-13) and came runner-up a few other times. Thomas Aquinas senior Claire Gassel and sophomore Emma Homburg (17-13): Unruh and Sweeney defeated Gassel and Homburg (6-1, 6-3), Andover Central juniors McKinnley Evans and Grace Schaefer (6-1, 6-1), Andover sophomores Brooke Walker and Anna Jittawait to advance to the championship match. Arkansas City starts a streak of wrestling titles that would hit a state record of 11 in the 1990s (1988-89). You never want to look back on your high school career with any regret. Her aunt Brittany Dietz (Carvalhido) finished her high school career at Osborne with a 149-0 record. In the losers bracket, Sherer defeated Kiowa County junior Liberty Gilkey (9-1) andSmokey Valley senior Logan Spencer (9-2) before losing to Wichita Collegiate freshman Laney Conrad (3-9). St. Thomas Aquinas wins five straight in boys soccer (1992-96) and four straight for the girls (1994-96) to along with 18 across all sports. All Teams. Victoria ins five baseball championships, including two back-to-back spurts. Boys Tennis. Olathe North won five football titles in 10 years, including four straight (2000-03). Read More. CHENEY, Wash. (Gray News) - A 16-year-old high school student in Washington state died after a freak accident happened in gym class on Thursday, officials confirmed. Tennis- High School Girls. The two liked prom well enough but decided after an hour to switch things up and go night fishing at Melton Hill Lake. 1 country songs is now taking the stage, Three Kansas State football players enter transfer portal after spring practice ends, Kansas reports more than 500 new COVID cases. at Loch Lloyd. Phone: 785-295-3150. In fact, I ran AAU track before I got on an AAU basketball team because there werent any teams around me when I was younger. Of course, we want the most talented players that have those intangibles, but weve had very talented players that maybe didnt have the intangibles, and we didnt give them a scholarship. Lawrence wins at least three titles in four different sports to finish with 23 total, including five straight in girls swim (1990-94), five in six years in volleyball (1990-95) and five in six years in football (1990-95). Wichita East blows Kansas away with 18 titles: 13 more than the next best. KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (WVLT/Gray News) - Two high school students in Tennessee ended prom night with a little fishing when they made a big catch. Collegiate continued its tennis dominance with 15 titles in 10 years. The Saints won seven straight in girls soccer (2010-16), six straight in boys cross country to end the decade, five in girls cross country (2012-16), four straight in girls basketball (2016-19) and two streaks of three in girls golf. Contact Seth Kinker at skinker@gannett.com. That mindset paid off for her, especially after she closed out the last three games to win the first set. CIK Football Rankings: Preseason. Kansas High School Boys Tennis Scores - SBLive Teams Standings Playoffs An ad blocker has likely prevented this video content from loading. Kapaun Mt. If your student is planning to participate in a sport during the school year, you MUST fill out the forms online at the link provided below. Lule-Paredes spent for years with the Chesty Lions' swim and dive program and holds the . Lawrence wins 25 championships in 11 sports, including three-year runs in football (1986-89), volleyball (1983-85) and girls cross country (1985-87). Graduated 1946. . Newton captures three boys basketball titles (1942-49). Dwight and Wilsey combine for three boys basketball titles before eventually incorporating (1961-67). The meet featured several schools from varying areas. Counseling. John's Blue Valley North Buhler Central Plains Chaparral Circle Classical Colby Collegiate . In other tournaments, you dont have anyone really, its just your parents. 1 love, and I did it year-round while I was doing the other ones, but I just really enjoyed going from sport to sport. kwchpublicfile@kwch.com - (316 . Junior Hailey Beck and senior Shelby Schmutzler (24-2) vs. winner of Blue Valley North seniors Mary Crossland and Cimone Trysla (5-3)/Hutchinsin junior Lauren Davis and sophomore Makenzie Suppes : Beck and Schmutzler fell to Crossland and Trysla (1-6, 0-6). Stiles chose to pursue her primary passion, basketball, at Southwest Missouri State University (now Missouri State University), where she led her team to a berth in the 2001 NCAA Womens Final Four. In the losers bracket, they won their first match before falling to Manhattan's Eric Craft and Jessica Zhang to place sixth. In the losers bracket, they defeated Olathe Northwest juniors Jenna Nichols and Carlie Scheer (9-3) before falling to Blue Valley's Steadman and Lee (5-9) in the losers bracket. The official athletics website for the Kansas State High School Activities Association It does not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, color, national and ethnic origin in administration of its educational policies, admissions policies, financial aid program, and athletic and other school-administered programs. To view the girl's win/loss records, click here. Stiles: I just absolutely loved it. VanPelt and Chiasson were set to play in the final of that tournament, but a heat restriction ended play early. 2 Letters Football, 4 Letters Wrestling, 2 Letters Golf. bottom of page The younger VanPelt has already surpassed that, but she's still trailing another family member in Kansas high school state accomplishments in girls tennis. She was named WNBA Rookie of the Year in 2001 after averaging 14.9 points per game for the Portland Fire. Russell wins three boys basketball titles in four years (1952-55). In the championship match they defeated Andover junior Maya Chon and sophomore Bryer Geoffroy. Stiles: Obviously, Im a little more for doing it all because thats the experience I had, and I had a great time doing it. Stiles: I always say that I would have never made it to the level I did if it werent for that foundation I built as a kid. You did all the sports, really. Google Safe Search . If you do not have a Facebook account and do not wish to create one, you will not be able to comment on stories. Map Directions. Senior Grace Unruh and junior Lauren Sweeney (32-0) vs. winner of Valley Center seniors Eris Bishop and Maddelyn Hamm (22-10)/St. I always told myself I had to get to work and get better.". Boys Tennis Scores Level October Fri 30 Sat 1 Sun 2 Mon 3 Tue 4 Wed 5 Thu 6 No Games Scheduled Lawrence High senior Giuliano Lule-Paredes signed with the William Jewell swimming team on Monday at LHS. Senior Night. Abilene, (Lenora) Norton, Newton and Reno County are the only other schools with multiple state championships. Notice of Nondiscriminatory Policy As To Students:Wichita Collegiate School admits students of any race, color, national and ethnic origin to all the rights, privileges, programs, and activities generally accorded or made available to students at the school. Bonner Springs dominates track with four boys titles in indoor and outdoor (1973-74). I mean, thats a pretty cool thing to remember, she said. The best trip for the couple, though, may have been when Lankford started the day in a tuxedo and Mattingly in a dress for junior prom. Fax: Facebook Page; Twitter Feed; . She is currently in her 13th year as an administrative assistant for the Louisiana State Universitys mens basketball program. Wyandotte is the second-best school in Kansas with seven titles, including back-to-back baseball championships (1953-54) and three straight in boys basketball (1957-59). KNOXVILLE, Tenn. ( WVLT /Gray News) - Two high school students in Tennessee ended prom night with a little fishing when they made a big catch. State Champions, Boys Cross Country - 1957. Her aunt Brittany Dietz (Carvalhido) finished her high school career at Osborne with a 149-0 record. To ensure the proper balance between schoolwork and athletics, No practice begins before 4:00 p.m. so that all student-athletes can attend after-school tutorials. Derby won eight championships in the decade. Apr 25. This proved to be effective, as Pratt ended up taking the meet title as a team. Carmel sophomore Jackie Ackerman (3-9). Copyright 2023 WVLT via Gray Media Group, Inc. All rights reserved. The Saints won seven straight in boys soccer (2003-09), three straight in girls golf (2007-09) and three straight in girls soccer (2005-07). Jewell, under the leadership of head coach Greg Temple, competes in the Great Lakes Valley Conference at the NCAA D-II level. It does not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, color, national and ethnic origin in administration of its educational policies, admissions policies, financial aid program, and athletic and other school-administered programs. Juniors Adisyn Caryl and Hailey Carpenter (22-7) vs. Blue Valley sophomorse Maia Bajich and Katherine Stone (11-7): Caryl and Carptener fell to Bajich and Stone (0-6, 0-6) and in the losers bracket to Blue Valley North junior Emma Rozi and sophomore Nancy Di Palo (0-9). Emporia wins six wrestling titles in 10 years, including a streak of three to close the decade. Miege begins its ascent with 21 titles, including four straight in volleyball (1980-83). That was the one thing I wanted the most, but I was not able to achieve it. Burrton wins six titles across girls cross country and girls track and field in four years (1986-89). . In doubles, Rural finished first and second, qualifying two duos for states. at Blue Valley Southwest. Wichita Eagle preps reporter Hayden Barber brings the area updates on all high school sports while adding those hard-to-find human-interest stories on Wichitas student-athletes. Wichita Southeast has its best decade with 17 championships, including five in boys swim, four in baseball and three in football. When VanPelt finished off that grueling stretch with a 2-1 lead, she felt like the momentum had swung even more than it did when she clinched the first set. I honestly just enjoyed all sports. In the losers bracket, they fell to Shawnee Mill Valley seniors Lauren Butler and Eden Schanker (2-9). Section 3 boys tennis results from the Oneida, Herkimer and surrounding Mohawk Valley leagues for the 2023 season. KS 67219 (316) 831-6143; Public Inspection File. Started Wamego Invitational Cross Country Meet. 2022 Girls Tennis Results. Q. Norton wins seven wrestling titles in 10 years, including five straight (2013-17). 2018 Girls Tennis Classifications. I just kept saying to myself, Youve got this, VanPelt said. Wichita Collegiate School 9115 E. 13th St. N. Wichita, KS 67206 (316) 634-0433 Privacy Policy Dietrick and Beall won their opening match before falling to Beck and Schmutzler in the quarterfinals. Girls Tennis. Luke Lankford and Mary Jo Mattingly like to spend their free time away from school and sports out on the water together. The mission of the Kansas Sports Hall of Fame is to honor those that have contributed to the history of sports in Kansas and to educate and inspire the public regarding the value of athletics and Kansas athletic history by providing the requisite leadership and resources. Coming into a team with people all my age, it was nice to finally have a relay again and I just regained my love for something.. Seaman placed first overall among the eight teams with 20 points, Shawnee Heights placed second with 10 points and Emporia finished third with nine points. 2014 Girls State Results. Latest Schedules and Information about games check the team page or go to www.avctl.org. at Blue Valley West High School. I just had such passion for it that I never got burned out. CapFed True Blue Student of the Week: Italian student Flaminia Lepri overcomes injury to make tennis history for Dodge City, CapFed True Blue Student of the Week: Salina Central's Janae Montoya enjoys putting herself out there for the team, SM East's Langford, Stechschulte complete historic high school tennis careers with 4-peat for state doubles, team titles in Class 6A, Hayden makes program history with sweep of Class 4A tennis titles. Hays wins four straight in boys cross country (1970-73) and five for the decade. Even though most people play all four years and I missed that first year, I kind of feel like a freshman this year. Andover Central Arkansas City Augusta Basehor-Linwood Beloit/St. Johnson-Stanton County wins 14 titles at the Class 2-1A level with a dozen in cross country or track and field. I think some of the cross training helps with some of those overuse injuries. In support of that belief, the Maize Education Foundation strives to partner with school leaders, community members, parents, and business owners in order to secure funding and develop partnerships that aid Maize educators in piloting educational and enrichment programs, developing new curriculum, and providing innovative experiential and In basketball, she scored 3,603 points and averaged 35.7 points per game (seventh all-time nationally). Stiles will be inducted into the NFHS National High School Hall of Fame July 2 in New Orleans, Louisiana. Open System Preferences and go to Keyboard: Select the Shortcuts tab. Columbus wins seven girls golf titles in 10 years, including a streak of three (1990-92) and two back-to-back runs (1994-95, 1998-99). Despite facing a Class 6A singles bracket with the top three finishers from last year and five of the top six, VanPelt walked in displaying the confidence of being the frontrunner and felt like she just needed to play her game to win it all. (Bogue/Morland) Hill City wins 15 titles total in eight sports, including a three-year run in boys cross country (1977-79). Its really cool being able to play high school tennis, just with the team atmosphere. Carmel won nine golf championships in the decade, including two streaks of four. "I've been fishing for my whole life -- basically 17 years," Lankford said. Keegan VanPelt was a three-time medalist for the Firebirds, finishing fifth in singles her first two years before adding a fourth-place finish as a junior. A 2-2 tie with Frankford Lincoln-Way East for the team title resulted in a 10-point tiebreak. Monday, April 17 NO SCHOOL 4/17/2023 8:00am Golf: Boys Varsity Away @ Falcon Ridge Golf Club 4/17/2023 4:15pm Softball: JV Away @ ODAC vs OS 4/17/2023 5:00pm Soccer: Girls JV HOME vs Pembroke - Admission Required 4/17/2023 7:00pm Soccer: Girls Varsity HOME vs Pembroke - Admission Required Tuesday, April 18 4/18/2023 8:00am Tennis: Boys Varsity Grainfield Wheatland/Grinnell has arguably the most impressive decade of any small school in Kansas history with 27 championships across seven sports, including streaks of three and five in volleyball and eight in boys cross country (1980-87). I would tell athletes to just make sure that you work hard, and make the most of all your opportunities and experiences. The Sunflower League recently had 5 girls teams and 5. He was a team leader in that way, not only swam well but kind of kept things under control.. State Champion Basketball (25-0) - 1968. Senior Mary Dietrick and sophomore McCall Beall (12-4) vs. Olathe Northwest freshmen Hannah Carney and Riley Terhune (21-10): Dietrick and Beall fell to Carney and Terhune (2-6, 1-6) and in the losers bracket to Shawnee Mission South senior Madeleine Enko and sophomore Kara Lorenz (2-9). (Source: WVLT), How to Watch the Avalanche vs. Kraken Game: Streaming & TV Channel Info for NHL Playoffs First Round Game 6, Hollywood writers, slamming gig economy, to go on strike, publicfile@ksnblocal4.com - (402) 467-4321. Not only is it not by accident, it seems to run in the family. Chiasson continued to push her the rest of the way, but VanPelt kept finding a way to squeeze out each game as she reeled off five straight to close out the state championship victory. 800 SW 10th St. Topeka, KS 66612. Olathe East won 25 titles in 11 different sports. Senior Sheridan Wichman (25-4) vs. winner of Garden City junior Brooke Ptacek (26-11)/Olathe West senior Autumn Jones (21-10): Wichman defeated Jones (6-1, 6-0) before falling to Shawnee Mission East senior Bridget Epstein (3-6, 0-6) in the next round. In the losers bracket, they fell to Emporia juniors Lillee Frank and Kaitlyn Velasquez (2-9). If I had to say just one thing, I would say work ethic. Arkansas City and (Lenora) Norton establish themselves as a wrestling powers with three titles each. Leavenworth wins all six of its titles in track with five coming from the girls in six years (1994-99). Shawnee Mission Northwest co-leads Kansas with 29 titles: six straight in boys cross country (1994-99) and three straight in girls cross country (1990-92). JV/V Cross Country @ Anderson County . One county is at a medium community level, Wichita officials seek dismissal in $2.4M lawsuit brought by deputy police chiefs, After a tiny home is stolen in Colorado, deputies find it at a Kansas grain elevator, Top high school wrestlers honored on the 2023 Wichita Eagle wrestling All-Metro teams, Top high school players honored on the 2023 Wichita Eagle boys basketball All-Metro team, Top high school players honored on the 2023 Wichita Eagle girls basketball All-Metro team, The Wichita Eagles 2023 Kansas high school girls basketball all-class state teams, The Wichita Eagles 2023 Kansas high school boys basketball all-class state teams, The Wichita Eagles 2023 Kansas high school basketball all-state top 15 teams. Stiles: Intangibles. But its just one of those things that happens thats kind of out of your control.. VanPelt had an injury that kept her off the court last season. Schools . Copyright 2023 NFHS. Clark nearly got to see a preview of this championship final back in September. The younger VanPelt has already surpassed that, but shes still trailing another family member in Kansas high school state accomplishments in girls tennis. Concordia puts a stranglehold on boys state track with nine titles across indoor and outdoor (1962-69). WICHITA, Kan. (Catch it Kansas) - Kansas middle schooler Aria Pearce made a name for herself in the summer of 2022 with her high marks in races as a 7th grader. Ben Sieck was a spring semester intern in the NFHS Publications and Communications Department and is a junior at Butler University in Indianapolis. All schools input scores through KSHSAA website after the matches are complete. I think it helped me gaining those games, it made it better for me to keep going.. Carmel comes second in Kansas for the decade with 19 championships, including a four-year run in football (1974-77) and three straight in boys outdoor track (1977-79). 15, 2023 at 11:20 AM PDT. Kansas High School Tennis Results. In basketball, she scored 3,603 points and averaged 35.7 points per game (seventh all-time nationally). Boys Tennis Results Archive. First, she beat Jayden Birk, of Emporia, (6-0, 6-0), next she beat Laura El-Koubysi, of Shawnee Heights, (6-3,6-0) before falling to Del-Zio in the semi-finals (6-0, 6-2). Smith Center established itself as the class of small town football with five straight titles (2004-08) along with three straight in wrestling (2007-09). Mieges girls sports were outstanding, accounting for 14 of 19 titles, including three straight in volleyball (2002-04) and three striaght in girls basketball (2001-03). Career Record of 108 Wins & 23 Losses. [citation needed] Located at 650 East Crawford in the city of Salina, the school is attended by Salina USD 305 students living north . He honestly made me regain my love for swimming, Lule-Paredes said. Goddard, Kansas 67052 . She had a great tournament, competed well and was willing to work as hard as she needed to to get points, get games and get matches, Clark said. Once I hit the court, I blocked everything out, stayed focused and locked in, one point at a time, one game at a time, one set at a time. She starred in four sports at Claflin (Kansas) High School from 1993 to 1997. Apr 25 4:00 PM. Denton Midway (Altoona) wins seven 8-man football state championships, including a streak of five (1984-88) and back-to-back (1981-82). What high school accomplishment are you most proud of? I was very intense, Carvalhido said. Resources. Here is a look at the top title-winning school from each decade of KSHSAA sports. - 1982; 2NDplace State Wrestling - 1981; 3RDplace State Wrestling - 1980. Sann Richert and Claire Norton (17-11): Barnett and Sims fell to Richet and Norton in their opening round (4-6, 3-6). 2006 Inductees Anita Taggart - Class of 1991. Stiles: Im from a really small town, so there wasnt much else to do. Check out how all the qualifiers from each school made it to states and how they finished their run at the state tournament below. Shawnee Heights:In singles, senior Laura El-Koubysi (13-9) finished fifth to qualify for states. I used to come to these a lot because my sister played high school tennis all four years, VanPelt said.