Doha Madani is a senior breaking news reporter for NBC News. Morgan Loew: Somehow, in 17 minutes, there was a grave dug and filled in. She then recorded a call with the couple about Joshua's whereabouts and why they had lied to police about his being with her, which she later turned over to police, Gibb said. As indicated in court records, Tylee Ryan, at age 5, also said that her father had sexually abused her and Colby. Colby Ryan is Vallow Daybells eldest son. I felt in shock. Instead of helping search, they skipped off to another vacation back in Hawaii. But shortly after what would have been Tylees 17th birthday in September of 2019, the tone and syntax of those texts changed. "She beat herself up over it all so much, it really took a toll," another source said. Vallow Daybell is also charged with conspiracy to commit murder in the death of Tammy Daybell. They alleged that Lori Vallow and Chad Daybell, now 54, met in 2018. Meanwhile, Chad Daybells wife, Tammy Daybell, died suddenly in October, and he and Vallow Daybell married two weeks later. To his sister. The only thing we we can know for sure is that At one point, whoever did this, dismembered her body and burned it. When the little boy who loved to dance first came to LIFE, a school for special needs students, he was a very different child than when he left, says Travillion. Around 6:45 p.m. that evening, they left Yellowstone and drove back to the apartment complex in Rexburg. The couple had been due to stand trial together but the two cases were severed by a judge last month. Daybellowned a religious publishing company, and his own writing focused on fringe beliefs, including what he said were his own near-death experiences and the end times. Alex Cox died in December 2019 from a pulmonary embolism, a condition that causes one or more arteries in the lungs to become blocked by a blood clot, according to the Maricopa County Medical Examiner's Office. The Vallows separated the following year, with Charles Vallow filing for divorce. In the winter of 2019, Charles Vallow changed the beneficiary of his $1 million life insurance policy from Lori to his sister Kay Woodcock, JJ's Reward offered as manhunt for Texas shooting suspect reaches "dead end", Louisiana's health care deserts put women, babies at risk, doctors say, How a tall Texan became an unlikely Australian rules football star, Second convoy of U.S. citizens fleeing Khartoum arrives at Port Sudan, ISIS chief killed by Turkey's intelligence agency, Erdogan says, General Mills issues Gold Medal flour recall over salmonella concerns, Investors sue Adidas over Kanye West Yeezy deal, Tornado flips cars, downs trees after touching down in South Florida, Shaquil Barrett's 2-year-old daughter dies in drowning accident. Bordeaux had already spoken with authorities about Lori Vallow, alleging that a vehicle she had access to was involved in an attempt to kill him in October 2019, according to a probable cause affidavit filed against Lori Vallow in 2020, before the childrens remains were found. HBO Max, SHOWTIME, STARZ, MGM+ & Cinemax. Colby Ryan in a jail recording accused his mother of killing his siblings. WebIn April that year, Lori Vallows third husband, Joseph Ryan, biological father to Tylee Ryan, died of an apparent heart attack. CHARLES VALLOW: She said, you're not Charles. He was shot and killed by one of Lori Vallows brothers, Alex Cox, on July 11, 2019. LORI VALLOW: He's with one of my friends in Arizona. April Raymond JJ was very difficult to take care of So I really admired how patient she was with him and how much care she took of him. He said in the 911 call that he "got in a fight with my brother-in-law and I shot him." Charles Vallow - Charles was JJ's adoptive father and Tylee's stepfather. Lori, Alex and Tylee were questioned at the police headquarters. That welfare check in November of 2019 revealed that both kids were missing. "48 Hours" and correspondent Jonathan Vigliotti detail the investigation into the heartbreaking national search for two missing children, the life of their mother Lori Vallow, and what is ahead in the case against Vallow and her new husband Chad Daybell, who have each been indicted on murder charges for the deaths of Tylee Ryan and JJ Vallow. He also said they were both empty nesters, with no young kids at home, Gwilliam told the jury. Tylees remains, meanwhile, were so badly burned that investigators were unable to determine a cause of death. Police in Hawaii searched Lori's rental car looking for evidence of the kids. A grand jury charged her with conspiracy to commit murder in the first degree nearly two years after his death, the Maricopa County Attorneys Office said. Lori and Chad Daybell were charged with conspiracy to commit destruction, alteration or concealment of evidence. According to her ex-husband, she had similar extreme religious beliefs as the Daybells. The first week of the trial has seen some emotional moments, with multiple witnesses moved to tears on the stand and JJ Vallow's grandfather openly weeping in the courtroom as he listened to testimony. JJ's teacher Julia Allen says he made a big impression in a small amount of time. The children's grandparents held a press conference on Tuesday asking the public for help. When Colby Ryan Lori Vallow's only living child entered the Boise, Idaho, courtroom where she is on trial, Vallow mouthed, "Oh my baby." The friend, Melanie Gibb, told police she had not seen JJ for months. Lori Vallows daughter was allegedly molested by her biological father years before her doomsday-obsessed mom JJ's biological father. There were so many times that I would die laughing. According to video obtained by NBC affiliate KPNX of Phoenix, Charles Vallow told police that his wife believed she was a god and that she believed someone had taken over his body. And with Alex Cox went a whole incredible amount of potential information that investigators could've used on this case. Please enter valid email address to continue. He married Tammy Daybell in the 1990s, and they had five children together. To see the trial, you have be there in person andget a reservationfor a seat in the courtroom or one of two overflow rooms a day ahead of time. That was such a huge red flag to me. JJ Vallow's biological grandparents, Kay and Larry Woodcock, said that the last time they spoke to the 7-year-old was in August. LORI VALLOW: Like, "Hi neighbors, sorry" [laughs]. The 7-year-old boy was killed and found buried in a shallow grave in June 2020 on Chad Daybells property. She ignored it and was arrested on the island of Kauai on child abandonment charges. Jonathan Vigliotti: Why do you think the children were murdered? One source described her as being "completely devastated" by the discovery. Tylee Ryan was Vallow Daybells biological daughter. Their souls had left them. LORI VALLOW: My husband switched his life insurance policy to her right? A condition of the adoption was that the Woodcocks remain in JJs life. I dont even think there was a fight, Adam Cox said in the interview. According to marriage records, Charles Vallow was Vallow Daybells fourth husband; the two married in 2006. IE 11 is not supported. The whole school turned out to celebrate the little boy who loved to dance. Charles told police in Gilbert, Arizona, he was worried about Lori and what she could do to The hunt continued even as police arrested Vallow Daybell in Hawaii on two felony counts related to the missing children and three other misdemeanors. MELANIE GIBB: He brought JJ into the house during the middle of the podcast. Hes Colby Ryans biological father. Chad's trialwas postponed as a result, and a new trial date has not yet been set. It it was in every classroom, in every environment. The big sister who used to watch over her little brother was no longer there to protect him. Chad Daybells jury trial hasnt been scheduled. Benjamin Hyde: That gives me the willies, look at this! ROB WOOD: OK. And then what did she tell you? Morgan Loew: It appears that Chandler Police believe Lori had something to do with Charles's death. It's the last moments of the children's lives that keeps Echo up at night. She was devastated when she learned Chad Daybell remarried just a couple of weeks after Tammy died, she said, but he told her that he and his new wife connected because they were both grieving over deceased spouses. But I love you with all my heart, and I have forever, and I will always love you. This is Chad Daybell's backyard. MELANIE GIBB: Hi Chad. DAVID WARWICK: She said that he was being a zombie and climbed up on the cabinets, climbed up on top of the fridge, smashed her picture of Christ down, and then climbed up onto the upper cabinets and got between the top of the cabinet and the ceiling. Charles Vallow, the fourth husband of Lori Vallow Daybell, was fatally shot by his wifes brother. Tammy Daybell, the first wife of Chad Daybell, died in October 2019. April Raymond: I feel like they were a liability. he never hesitated to resort to violence if he believed he was defending his sister. The best I can describe was just blobs of flesh that were falling apart [] just burnt flesh, what appeared to be put in a green bucket. Vallow Daybell is currently on trial at the Ada County Courthouse. MELANIE GIBB: I appreciate those words, but if you really love me, you wouldn't have told the police that I had JJ with me. Within an hour of entering the house that morning, Vallow was lying on the floor in a pool of blood shot in the chest by Alex Cox. The two were estranged but still married when Vallow Daybells brother, Alex Cox, shot and killed Charles Vallow outside his Phoenix suburban home. While not yet scheduled, his lawyers initially asked for it to be pushed back to the fall of 2023. Lori's attorney had no comment and Chad's attorney did not respond. Shortly after Charles death, Vallow Daybell moved to eastern Idaho with JJ, Tylee and her brother Cox. Cult mom Lori Vallow is currently on trial in a case that has shocked the nation with its bizarre doomsday cult ties and the tragic deaths of almost everyone close to When Colby Ryan Lori Vallow's only living child entered the Boise, Idaho, courtroom where she is on trial, Vallow mouthed, "Oh my baby." Margaret Travillion: Because he was amazing. Margaret Travillion: They say it takes a village to raise a child. That includes JJ Vallows biological grandmother, Kay Woodcock Loris other son, Colby Ryan and Loris sister, Summer Shiflet. At right is their mother's brother Alex Cox. Brandon witnessed the Jeep and observed a rifle with a silencer come out of the rear window of the Jeep and then Brandons vehicle was shot once in the front drivers doorframe, according to the probable cause affidavit. They saw him several times during their stay. Though he was born of Vallow Daybells second marriage, when his mother remarried Colby took Joe Ryans last name. Trahans DNA was compared to JJs, while Lori Vallow Daybells DNA was compared to that of Tylee Ryan. Charles was so spooked by Lori he went to the police. He also claimed he could read light and dark auras. And just let them know that I love them, and I've never met anyone like them. 911 DISPATCHER: And is he hurt? Gibb testified she had no previous knowledge about what Vallow told police. Some believe Chad Daybell was the driving force; others believe it was Lori. Ryan later died in his home of a suspected heart attack. Morgan Loew: Lori sort of viewed Alex as the destroyer of bad things in her eyes he was there to take care of the problems. In a podcast interview, Adam Cox also said he believed his brother had been indoctrinated with the same end-of-times beliefs as Lori Vallow and Chad Daybell. April Raymond: And she had described Tylee as having a dark spirit. Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting. Nate Eaton DET. But no one acted on it and Vallow let his guard down. JJs father, Charles Vallow, is actually Woodcocks brother: He adopted JJ as a baby because JJs biological parents including Woodcocks son were unable to care They both had unconditional love for each other. POLICE OFFICER [Bodycam video]: How long have you lived here? Morgan Loew: Chad had this belief that some people who were on this earth weren't really the people they were supposed to be. And that she was going to let the police know that JJ was with me.. JJ's adoptive mom,Lori Vallow, and her doomsday author fifth husband,Chad Daybell, are accused of killing the two children and others as part of a depraved plot fueled by their bizarre religious beliefs.