To get an extra rich and moist cake, stir in two extra egg yolks along with the eggs the recipe calls for (save the egg whites to make these delicious meringues). Then, add cake mix, pudding, milk, vanilla extract and mix until just combined. I used chocolate pudding and devil's food cake, but feel free to experiment with flavors you like (butterscotch pudding and vanilla cake sound pretty good to me!). Preheat the oven to 300 degrees and grease your cake pans. How to Make Any Boxed Cake Mix Taste Like the Cake Came from a Bakery Step One Look at the directions on the back of the cake box. Next time I'll remember not to frost the cake before it's cooled, though. If you're making red velvet you can use buttermilk. Can I freeze this cake until ready to use or will it affect the taste? Waste of four eggs and stick of butter. Bake at 300 degrees for about 20-30 minutes (depending on size of cake) then turn oven up to 325 for about an equal time. This website uses cookies to improve your experience while you navigate through the website. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. With 600+ recipes, I'll help you find yours! (Just kidding. Add Some Special Layers. Do you know if it would change anything if I added food coloring to the icing? The cake is incredibly moist because of the sour cream and buttermilk! By far the best vanilla cake I have ever made!! Do you have a way of doing this with the butter golden cake mix? Hi Marie!! So, for example, if the recipe calls for 3 eggs, add 4. Hi Beth Id like to bake this cake for my granddaughter Ilyanas 8th birthday. Thanks! Thank you for pointing me in the right direction. I am putting strawberry reduction between the layers and I am in the process of making your buttercream icing recipe. In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients. Break Out the Instant Pudding It is SO easy to make frosting at home, and any flavor you want too! The cake filled the pan perfectly I made a cream cheese iceing filled the cake with fresh berries and put some strawberry jam on the bottom layer and added some to the icing. Chill cake. https://thefirstyearblog.com/doctored-up-chocolate-cake-mix/, https://www.wilton.com/cake-serving-guide/cms-baking-serving-guide.html, https://thefirstyearblog.com/doctored-up-caramel-cake/, https://thefirstyearblog.com/doctored-up-pumpkin-cake/, https://thefirstyearblog.com/peanut-butter-sheet-cake/. And don't forget all of those goodies in your cupboard that you would use in cookies, brownies or other cakes. Look at the directions on the back of the cake box. These cookies will be stored in your browser only with your consent. Sorry for any confusion. Thanks for the helpful review, Renee! Hi Cathy! Tried other doctored cake mix recipes and this is the best! With amazing recipes to help the home cook become a home chef, along with fun family travel, fun crafts and More! Add one more egg than what it calls for. THANKS SO MUCH!!! In some areas, no one would probably mind if you used a box or if you made a cake from scratch. You will easily make a box caked moist and wow your guests. Hi! I hope it tastes OK once I frost it. Okay so I tweaked this a tad because of all the comments. I made this cake in two eight inch cake pans reserved enough for 2 cupcakes. Betty Crocker cake mixes have shrunk to 15.25 oz, I would think the butter should be a bit less, and the eggs too. This doctored up white cake mix definitely makes more cake batter than if you were to just follow the back of the box instructions, so thats my only caution you might have leftover cake batter because you dont want to fill the pan too high! Join our large community of insiders - it's totally free! What an easy and fun hack! Thanks again for all your tips. After baking, the cake was taller and fluffier. Made this tonight as directed with a Pilsbury white cake mix for a tres leches cake and it was phenomenal! problems with the original recipe? The difference wasn't all that noticeable, but I'd still say it was worthwhile. Swap out the milk for buttermilk, and now you've really got something special! I made the classic white with the buttercream frosting!!! Determined, but busy. You can find a link to the Privacy Policy, How to Make a Cake Mix Taste Like a Cake from the Bakery, Ultimate Guide to Gulf Shores and Orange Beach Alabama, Your Complete Guide to Visiting Branson Missouri, Your Complete Guide to Visiting Georgetown, KY. They will swear up and down that you got the cake from the local bakery. Wow, wow, and wow. Second, the yolks make the cake denser. Super yummy cake. Instead of water use milk. I dont have a convection oven, just regular electric. Required fields are marked *. Would this be a good alternative to white wedding cake ? Oh wow that sounds amazing! There are many different fillings that you can use when you are making a homemade cake, my personal favorites are Chocolate Ganache, marshmallow fluff, and Bavarian cream. I have pinned this recipe. It looks delicious! It is a simple way to make the boxed cake taste just like the cakes you get at the bakery, and it only takes a few added ingredients to do so. It looks really white. Turned out well. Yes, I will definitely try it out, but just wondered if anyone knew for sure. I didnt make the frosting, I wanted to use a strawberry buttercream instead. $149) + More. Aside from the easy step by step directions below there are a few other things you can do that will help you doctor up a box of cake mix and have it be the most amazing boxed cake mix that tastes homemade ever! I prefer Duncan Hines cake mixes, as do a lot of food bloggers, plus Wilton recommends Duncan Hines brand and Wilton is a cake powerhouse, so I trust their opinion. One of a kind-This white cake has more to it than meets the eye! Your email address will not be published. For example, 1/3 cup of oil would require 2/3 cup melted butter. I baked in an 8 pan at something point even add a heat core to help it. Will have to try that the next time I bake these up. Looking for more uses for Boxed cake mix? Want to make your cake extra rich? Hi Kathy! Hi, was trying to figure out how many cups of batter this might make. Also made your buttercream icing. These cookies do not store any personal information. If I could leave pictures I would. Preheat the oven to 350F and line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper. Still turned out fantastic. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Our recipe doesnt call for pudding. Vu says that there is indeed truth to the claim that baking pound cake by starting it in a cold oven makes for a better pound cake. oh thats so great! I think there are also instructions on the back of the box regarding high altitude. Easy Buttercream Frosting Is there not any oil or butter in this recipe? But if you want it to taste like you really made it from scratch, try one or more of these easy upgrades. Will use this recipe again. Perhaps if it were the same as the chocolate cake it would have come out the same as the chocolate cake. Even better, most are super easy, with items you probably already have in your kitchen. Here are some of our favorite tools to make it easier! I checked on it in the oven after 15 minutes and it had already sunk. The milk adds fat, which results in better flavor and density in your cake. Step 5: Mix well and bake for the time recommended on the box. 1 box of cake mix, around 15 oz., any brand & flavor, Ninja Creami Ice Cream Maker Only $119.99 Shipped on Costco.com, Up to 40% Off Home Depot Grills | Nexgrill Cart-Style Just $89 Shipped (Reg. To make a box cake taste like anything but, you need to punch up the required ingredients. Is Homemade Butter Really Worth the Effort? You guys know, no one loves a cake made from scratch more than I do! Can I substitute whole milk rather than skim?? I did a taste test using my family by providing them with a bite of each cake to tell me which one tasted better. My secret is taking a cake mix from a box, adding a few extra ingredients and the end result is that the cake tastes just like it was purchased from a bakery! I made a box cake using all three of your changes. This will give the cake a richer flavor. Easy to follow recipes and well organized. I add one teaspoon if vanilla extract everytime. It came out fantastic. I used this recipe using the French vanilla Duncan Hines, as I could not get access to the white cake it was absolutely PERFECT!!! Once cool but not frozen you can then trim off the brown edges of your cakes and frost as desired. I made this cake. In your stand mixer bowl or another bowl add the wet ingredients. I only add one extra egg, sometimes two. 1. I have used your recipe twice, once for a chocolate cake and the other was a yellow cake. I used a Funfetti mix, whole eggs because I wasnt making a white cake, and I had to use Greek yogurt instead of sour cream because I was out. If you are using a doctored box mix you don't have to say so in so many words. They make great cakes, cook evenly, and nothing ever sticks to them. I really like this recipe but I want to combine this with another recipe to make it a lemon cake instead! What about whole vs Skim milk? Everyone always asks me why my cakes taste so amazing, so today I am sharing my easy hack with you! I am a baker and after a lot of testing in my kitchen I came up with this easy recipe to make your boxed cake mix taste like you bought it from a bakery. Instead of using vegetable oil, use melted butter and double the amount suggested on the box. I know this sounds counter-intuitive because we're trying to go for easy here. With a degree from the Culinary Institute of America in baking and pastry arts, a love for tasty food and amazing photography skills Stephanie brings the amazing recipe ideas we come up with to life. I recently made this fun Paw Patrol Cake for a sweet little boy that steals everyone's heart! With all the additions, the cake is more moist and required a longer cook time. Think "out of the box" and use other non-dairy liquids: Try swapping out the water for soda (colas are the best), juice (orange is great with vanilla and yellow cake), or even a stout beer (for chocolate cake). However this year with 3 time the trials it alway seems to come out dense, rubber ish. That happens a LOT. We had to put some dowels in the cake when it wanted to fall over and put it in the freezer until it set up. How to Make Boxed Cake Mix taste like Bakery cake. It has way too much sugar. Combine all dry ingredients and whisk together. 1 cup sour cream. Excellent recipe! For the chocolate version of this recipe check out my Chocolate WASC Recipe. Milk does a body good, in this instance anyways. Threw both cakes out. Tonya, Used box egg whites instead of separating whole eggs . But I still want that delicious flavor! Im very precise with ingredients measurement and the steps and no I did not overbeat the batter. Cant see the video above? Wrap cake rounds with damp Evenbake strips (optional). I know some boxes out there are 18.25 oz, so be sure youre getting the right size. Quite disappointing. For more info on decorating your first cake, check out my free training on how to make your first cake. Hi Lenna! Allow the cake to cool completely before adding frosting. Unfortunately the center of a cake can fall for a lot of reasons. Could I use this recipe in a sheet cake pan? Add a little rum, almond, or orange extract as well. I will most definitely try your recipe again! IE 11 is not supported. The difference in the recipes is that the white cake calls for 1/2 cup more of the sugar and the flour. For extra moisture and flavor, you can brush each layer with simple syrup, jam or marmalade, or even a bit of your favorite booze (like coffee-flavored liqueur for tiramisu cake or a bit of rum for a spiced orange cake). who has a passion for helping others and always has a cup of coffee in hand. Step 4: Instead of water, use whole milk. You Rock! Place all of your ingredients into the bowl of your stand mixer (or you can mix by hand) and stir on low to combine until just moistened. With amazing recipes to help the home cook become a home chef, along with fun family travel, fun crafts and More! Add the remaining ingredients and beat the batter on medium speed with a hand mixer until smooth. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); Hi, I'm Liz! How to Make Boxed Cake Mix taste like Bakery cake. Of vanilla to all my mixs makes a lot of difference to the final product. There's an endless debate over what's better, box mix or baking from scratch. Since I have to make 200 for a wedding Im thrilled that I found this hack! Thank you for sharing this recipe. Transfer the cookies to a cooling rack to cool . It had a noticeably softer and moist texture that was not crumbly at all in comparison. WOWthe batter is smooth and silky, rich-looking. I have been doing this for years, saw it on Pinterest. If you're making a yellow cake, the Pioneer Woman suggests adding ginger ale instead of water for extra flavor, while Grandbaby Cake's Jocelyn Delk Adams recommends using lemon-lime soda. Bake for 23-28 minutes, or according to box directions. Use melted butter in the place of vegetable oil for a richer taste. Hi Rebecca! I used the stars and stripes funfetti cake mix. For my son's very first birthday, I was determined to make his birthday cake. Do you have some tips on how to make your box mix taste homemade? Usually a box mix has the following ingredients listed on the back that they want you to add. Make sure to follow MM on Instagram and Pinterest for more creative ideas! About 1.5 inches high when cooling! document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); I believe that everyone should have a go-to dessert to bring to gatherings! 174 Comments. Thank you. Pour the batter into the pan and bake for 37-43 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. I do recommend Duncan Hines Ill fix the image on the bottom! It never fails to amaze me how food bloggers always reply back so politely and sincerely, after being asked the dumbest questions, some are downright hysterical that it makes me giggle. Love to bake? I tried this, and in practice, it made the batter smell really good, although I couldn't really tell the difference once the cake was baked. I filled 3 eight inch pans with 18 oz batter and had a little left to make a taste tester., Loved this cake. My favorite Duncan Hines box mix flavors are Red Velvet, Triple Chocolate, White Cake (for making WASC) and strawberry. I love baking cakes in general, whether its from scratch or with a little help from store-bought mixes. Thanks for posting the recipe? @Kathy, I made cupcakes and they also fell. , Youre welcome and May you and your family enjoy your weekend and please be safe in all that you do. Our family loves this recipe for easy white cake! You get consistent results and it's an easy mixing method. I used the same suggested bake times on the box, so just reference it for other bake times. I also added a box of instant chocolate pudding mix, a teaspoon of vanilla extract and a few drops of maple extract. By Stephanie on August 10, 2020 | Updated November 16, 2021 | 227 Comments. Im concerned if they stuck a toothpick in the center and it came out clean is there any other way I can check it so this doesnt happen to my cake? people. Followed recipe to a t, it came out awful. Thank you for the comment, Natalie! This had a nice, thick batter, and it was tall & fluffy, it was super soft and moist too, and not at all crumbly. Moving forward, this is definitely how Ill be baking a boxed cake! I used 2% milk because that is what I had on hand. Any flavor cake mix will work with this recipe. The hot water helps to "bloom" the cocoa (just like adding hot water to coffee grounds). Be sure to share your review in the comments below and follow us on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram or Tiktok for even more food + family fun! I made your souped up white cake mix recipe again tonight for a friends birthday. You can find out more about our use, change your default settings, and withdraw your consent at any time with effect for the future by visiting Cookies Settings, which can also be found in the footer of the site. Can you use the butter golden cake mix with this recipe? I always add 1 tsp. Hi I dont have skim milkI would think 2% would be ok? In a 913 pan you layer with batter, granny smith apples, and sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar. Not into the coffee-chocolate combo? Use melted butter instead of oil and double the amount. Step 2: Add one more egg (or add 2 if you want it to be very rich). We won't tell. Hi! Thank you! We have a few other doctored up cake recipes here: https://thefirstyearblog.com/doctored-up-caramel-cake/ Keep an eye out for it . Start by preheating the oven to 350. Lina has a Bachelor's Degree from Northern Arizona University with 11 years of blogging and photography experience having work featured in Today.com, Martha Stewart, Country Living, Fox News, Buzzfeed, and HGTV.