Thanks, My grandma is from Ukraine. garlic powder 1 large egg 1 lb. Using the small cabbage leaves you prepped earlier by removing the veins, line the pot with 5 or 6 leaves. Oh, what a treat! Using your fingers as needed to keep the sides tucked in, roll the halupki away from you engulfing the flap of cabbage created when you folded in both edges. These are the best! For many of us in the Coal Region, halupki cabbage rolls are at the top of our comfort food list. Our collection of traditional and popular Ukrainian recipes is here: Popular Ukrainian Recipes or Ukrainian Food. warm water (mix together and allow to sit a few minutes until thickened) 1 tsp sea salt 1 tsp ground sage 1 tsp garlic powder 1/2 tsp pepper 1 c. unsweetened soy or almond milk (or just enough to hold it all together) Let mixture sit for 20 minutes. Return the water to a rapid simmer or low boil. Bake in the preheated oven until filling is cooked through and sauce has thickened, about 2 1/2 hours. We do find that blanching works well. Ingredients For authentic halupki (cabbage rolls) 2 heads cabbage, boiled about 30 mins. These posts will help guide you through making some of The Coal Regions favorite comfort foods. If the leaf comes away fairly easily, it is ready to be removed. Gently press your fingers into the mixture and turn the mixture in the bowl until well blended. Leftovers freeze well if you have any! Reserve one cup of the water and drain the rest. Easy, fun, and delicious! As the cabbage leaves soften, you can gently work each individual leaf away from the head with a pair of. Use all or some of it, as you desire. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to very low, cover and simmer three to four hours. My family's traditional recipe for Slovakian stuffed cabbage leaves, called Halupki or Halubki, features a delicious mixture of seasoned ground beef, onions, and rice rolled into boiled cabbage leaves and baked in a sweetened tomato based sauce. Rinsing rice Run cold water over the rice in the strainer until the water runs clear or almost clear. Roll away from you to encase the meat. Boil until soft, removing each leaf as it softens. Completely roll up the halupki ending seam down (the seam being the end of the cabbage leaf). Do not stir; everything will blend well while cooking. Meanwile, saute chopped onion in butter in a medium skillet until tender, and let cool. When leaves are cool enough to handle, use a paring knife to cut away the thick center stem from each leaf, without cutting all the way through. We love them so much and we agree, the sauce is so yummy! Combine the tomato sauce, cabbage water, vinegar, and sugar together in a bowl. A Polish favorite, meat and rice filling in cabbage with tomato sauce Ingredients Scale 2/3 c. white rice 2 heads green cabbage 2 eggs, beaten 1 1/2 lb. Bake the rolls for around 2 and a half hours, basting the rolls in the tomato sauce every hour or so. Drain the par-cooked rice in a fine mesh strainer. POST UPDATE: The recipe was originally published October 2016, but was updated with improved tweaks to the recipe and tips, new photography, and a fabulous new video in February 2020! garlic powder, 1 lb. Hi Tracy! First, youll need to take a cabbage leaf. Place the pot over high heat and bring the water to a boil. If you do not have extra leaves, chop up the remaining interior of the cabbage you pulled from the water as the leaves got too small to be usable. Bring a large pot of water to boil. Chop the remaining cabbage, still reserving large outer leaves, and place it in the bottom of a large greased casserole dish or Dutch oven. But even though 75% of the haluski you'll eat in your lifetime (unofficial stat) will only have those ingredients and nothing more, you know not all haluski is made equally. Place halupkis in roasting pan, making 2 layers. Barbara Rolek is a former chef who became a cooking school instructor and award-winning food writer. The sauce is amazing! Insert the knife where the vein starts to rise from the surface of the leaf. My grandmother taught me to make these and I always freeze the cabbage instead of blanching, this completely cuts the worry of any tough cabbage all you have to do is plan in advance enough to thaw your cabbage out all the way you still must trim the tough Center vein. On each separate cabbage leaf, place 1 scoop of the meat mixture at the bottom of the leaf and roll, tightly tucking the sides to cover the mixture. Mix ground beef, ground pork, cooked rice, eggs, onion, fresh parsley, garlic powder, salt, and pepper in a large bowl until combined. Place the halupki into the over the cabbage leaves, if you are using them. I took my favorite traits from each, combined them, and my Coalcracker Kitchen halupki recipe was born. Bring up and fold over the trimmed vein edge around the roll of meat mixture, wrapping the edge around the log of meat to where it is nearly enclosed by the edge of the leaf of cabbage. Add 1 cup of water or reserved water from steaming the cabbage. Although they vary slightly with the cook and region, the concept is the same; boil a whole cabbage head, pull off the leaves as they loosen, stuff the leaves with a filling, layer them into a vessel, pour a broth or sauce over top, cover and cook. Use any torn or less than desirable leaves for lining the cooking pan to help prevent scorching. 1 generous cup par-boiled Basmati or long-grain white rice (after cooking). Whisk together the tomato soup, water, salt and pepper. Just A Pinch Food Group Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle a little paprika on top of the sauce. This helps hold the halupki down in the sauce and prevents them from floating and unfolding. Discard this vein piece. I do this by simply mounding a bit more rice onto the top when I measure. 6. Bring the water to boil and cook the cabbage until the leaves are tender, about 15 minutes. 2 large cabbage heads, coarse outer leaves removed, 1 can chopped tomatoes with chiles, optional, Crumbl Launches Cookie Journal For Fans to Rate and Review Every Flavor Thats Ever Existed. Place the Halupki rolls side by side in layers in the pan. I find this cooking this size recipe works very well in my 6 quart enameled Dutch oven. Fold in both outside edges to tightly close over the initial roll. Take your time and make small cuts on an angle into and around the core of the cabbage. - layer with thickly sliced onion and chopped garlic. Put the cabbage in a pot, add a quarter of a teaspoon of salt and cover with water. Repeat the rolling steps until you have wrapped the remaining portions of meat mixture. Depending on the size of your cabbage rolls, you should yield about 12 to 16 rolls. Welcome to Cook Along With A Coalcracker In The Kitchen. 1 pound canned sauerkraut, drained, juices reserved, and optionally rinsed. Submerge the whole cabbage, cored end up, in the pot of boiling water. No cooking of the meat is required before baking. Powered by the ESHA Research Database 2018, ESHA Research, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Core the head of cabbage. Stir in rice. Periodically check the sauce level and add some hot cabbage blanching water if the level is getting low or the sauce is drying out. Heat oven to 350F. cans tomato sauce 2 bay leaves Instructions 1 onion, small, chopped 1 1/2 cups rice, uncooked 1 teaspoon salt 1 teaspoon garlic powder 1 teaspoon paprika 1/2 teaspoon pepper, black 1 (14.5-ounce) can petite diced tomatoes, divided into 2 equal portions 1 cup water 2 (14.5-ounce) cans tomato sauce 1 head cabbage, cored as much as possible chives (optional, for garnish) Continue until all leaves are rolled and placed in the pot. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Trim the vein from 5 or 6 of the additional smallest leaves you removed; these will be used to line the cooking pot to help prevent sticking or scorching of the halupki as they cook. Continue until all leaves are soft and can be removed easily. -- remove outer leaves as they become blanched -- do not over-cook. Hotly contested among cooks are several factors: should you use cooked rice or un-cooked in the filling mixture? On SOCIAL MEDIA, share LINKS ONLY, do not copy and paste. Born and raised "a coal miner's daughter" in the Anthracite Region of Pennsylvania, I love to share recipes and memories of home with fellow "coalcrackers" and those who enjoy easy-to-make, budget-friendly foods that celebrate our unique blending of Eastern European and Pa. Dutch heritage and cuisines here in northeast Pennsylvania. Meanwhile, bring pot of salted water to boil in a pot large enough to have water completely cover the cabbage. The halupki making process is not an exact science. They are super tasty! Place the rinsed rise in a small (2 quart) sauce pan that has a tight-fitting lid. Bethanys recipes will inspire you to add new colors and flavors to your everyday meals. Actually, they are delicious any time of the year! Add tomato paste and cook, stirring, until lightly caramelized further, about 2 minutes. If you're following a Paleo lifestyle of eating, you only need to make one little modification! Once boiling, reduce the heat, cover the pot with a lid to keep it simmering and ready to receive the head of cabbage. Completely accurate measurement of the rice is not crucial to this recipe or step! 4.41 from 10 votes Print Pin Rate Course: Dinner Cuisine: Polish Prep Time: 20 minutes Cabbage has many health benefits: It is rich in dietary fiber, folates, proteins, and vitamins. There are several ways to roll the halupki, the video below shows the method I use. No, its not a big plate of Southern Fried Chicken or a Ribeye Steak, but it sure is comforting, filling, and satisfying. We call them delicious! Ingredients 1 whole green cabbage, about 3 1/2 to 4 pounds Boiling salted water 1 medium onion, very finely diced It is not a race and no ones judging! An iconic comfort food in the Anthracite Coal Region of Northeastern Pennsylvania, the dish features a mix of rice and ground beef rolled in individual cabbage leaves and baked in a sweet/tart tomato sauce. If rolled properly, there should be no need to use toothpicks to hold the rolls together; something your diners will thank you for. Reply to Lyn: Hi, Lyn! Next, place the formed cabbage rolls in a baking dish. Lesson: blanch the leaves! Place a tablespoon of the meat mixture in the center of a cabbage leaf and roll. Gently press your fingers into the mixture and turn the mixture in the bowl until well blended. I have another version here on A Coalcracker In The Kitchen that is more complex and yields a denser filling. Place the cabbage rolls on top of the chopped cabbage with sauerkraut and some tomato sauce in between the layers in the casserole dish or Dutch oven. Everyone grandma had her own stuffed cabbage recipe. Work slowly to minimize knife slippage and maintain good control of your knife. Chop the remaining cabbage, still reserving large outer leaves, and place it in the bottom of a large greased casserole dish or Dutch oven. When you visit the site, Dotdash Meredith and its partners may store or retrieve information on your browser, mostly in the form of cookies. Completely roll up the halupki ending seam down (the seam being the end of the cabbage leaf). And for the amazing dish you get at the end of it, its totally worth the effort. We are in the middle of a move but I love cooking on Sunday afternoons so I made this yesterday and it was delicious!! Place whole head in a large pot filled with boiling, salted water. Cover and boil slowly for about an hour or until cooked through and tender. Let leaves cool, then trim the thick rib on each leaf. In a large bowl, combine the remaining chopped onion, beef, rice, stock, paprika, cayenne, egg, pinch of salt and pepper. Do not add the beef yet. Pour the sauce mixture evenly over the cabbage rolls and cover the dish with foil. Remove any damaged leaves or leaves with any dark areas from the outside of an approximately three (3) pound head of green cabbage. Place 1/2 cup long grain white or Basmati rice in a fine mesh strainer, run under cold water until the water runs clear or almost clear. Learn how to make this orgasmic dish one step at a time. Cookies collect information about your preferences and your devices and are used to make the site work as you expect it to, to understand how you interact with the site, and to show advertisements that are targeted to your interests. This process removes the excess starch from the rice. In a small bowl, mix 1 can of tomato soup with 1 can of beef broth or water. Remove the firm vein of the cabbage leaf. these links. - roast as much garlic as you would like in the potatoes. lean ground beef 1 sm. The remaining inner portion of the cabbage head will be shredded and layered on top of the halupki when cooking. Place the lid on the pot or tightly cover your baking dish with foil. Make individual balls out of the meat mixture and roll them up in cabbage leaves. Cabbage rolls freeze well before or after cooking, and can be made in a slow cooker (see your manufacturer's instructions). Place a lid on the skillet; cook cabbage mixture, stirring occasionally, until cabbage is tender, about 30 minutes. I often skip weighing them down. My grandmother made the best stuffed cabbage rolls (also known as krautnagels). DO NOT publish, or reproduce this original content anywhere, in any manner, without express written permission. Theres an amazing street food market in my local town on weekends and they were served at a special stall with Eastern European delicacies. I fluff the rice around to help it cool faster, but that is not necessary if you prefer to skip that step. Cover and cook three minutes or until softened enough to pull off individual leaves. In my neck of the woods, youd be hard-pressed to find a block party or church festival where these are not on the menu among the offerings at food stands. Content other than actual recipes on this site is copyrighted material. Cabbage rolls in general are subject to great debate with every cook weighing in and convinced theirs are the best; ask 100 cooks for their recipe and you will get 100 different versions. This authentic Haluski recipe features the traditional combination of pan fried cabbage leaves, pasta noodles, and white onion all deliciously caramelized in plenty of butter 4.60 from 32 votes Print Pin Rate Course: Dinner, Main Course, Pasta Cuisine: American, Polish, Slovak Prep Time: 20 minutes Cook Time: 30 minutes Total Time: 50 minutes In a large bowl, mix cooled rice, cooled onions, beef, pork, salt and pepper to taste, egg, garlic, paprika, reserved sauerkraut juices and 1/3 cup of the tomato sauce, and blend thoroughly. (-) Information is not currently available for this nutrient. Maple-Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Bacon and Pecan, https://www.cuisineathome.com/tips/freeze-cabbage-for-no-cook-cabbage-roll-prep/. Ill be making this for many Sunday suppers thank you! You can optionally upload your own image along with a review, Super Tasty outside the box Dish that totally worth the effort, If youre looking to cook something a little outside the box, try this. Salt & pepper the meat generously and mix. Although they vary slightly with the cook and region, the concept is the same; blanch a whole, cored cabbage head, pull off the leaves as they loosen, stuff the leaves with a filling then roll closed, layer them into a vessel, pour a broth or sauce over the top, cover and cook. Or make a larger batch and use leftovers for fried rice or rice pudding. Hi Jane! With a touch of sweetness in the sauce, countering perfectly against the beef filling and cabbage leaves, this filling dish is perfect for feeding a hungry family on a chilly evening. Drain and set aside. Leave the water in the pot and set it aside for later use in this recipe.. Each cabbage leaf has a thick veinthat should be removed prior to rolling the halupki. Enjoy with mashed potatoes just as we always do in my family! Thank you for sharing your recipe. (If you prefer, reserve about 1/2 cup to add over golumpkis when they're served.) Ive never made cabbage rolls but this was soooo easy and I had all ingredients except for the cabbage! ground beef 1 c. chopped onion 1 t. salt 1/4 t. pepper 8 slices bacon, cut in 1-inch pieces 2 16-oz. Simply bring a pot of salted water to a boil and carefully lower the cabbage and cook for a couple of minutes. For the purpose of demonstrating this recipe, I have used a cabbage weighing about three pounds. We omitted all salt, including the stock and tomatoes. You need one (1) generous cup of par-cooked rice. Once the par-cooked rice has cooled somewhat, add the egg, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, onion powder, seasoned salt, and black pepper to the rice. Get our cookbook, free, when you sign up for our newsletter. Melt butter in skillet. I add ground black pepper in between. Repeat with remaining large cabbage leaves and filling. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to use. That means the world to us! DO THIS CAREFULLY! Be sure to leave some of the sauce for serving the final dish. Were not kidding when we say these really are easy stuffed cabbage rolls. Place on a tray. You might need to place a heat-proof plate on top of the rolls to keep them submerged in the sauce. Your email address will not be published. Using a wooden spoon or your hands (my preferred method), thoroughly blend the meat with the rice mixture. parsley flakes and 1 . Fold in the sides of the leaf and roll from the stem end to the outer edge. Watch carefully so stuffed cabbages don't burn. Lazy Cook's Golumpki (Stuffed Cabbage), Halupki Casserole (Stuffed Cabbage Casserole). Repeat until you have at least 12 to 14 nice sized leaves for rolling. We were not sure if we would like them, but they were recommended, so we gave them a shot. You will be tearing off the leaves to use as the base for this dish. Remove from heat and carefully remove the plate. What ratio/types of meat? It may take several minutes of blanching/cooking before you start to see the leaves loosen from the head. Continue to boil until all the leaves have cooked, about 15 minutes. Form oval type meatballs for each cabbage leaf. Ingredients: one head of cabbage, 2 tbsp of oil or lard, 1 onion, 3 tsp flour, 1 small container of sour cream, paprika Filling: 0.5lb ground beef, 1tsp oil, rice (half a cup to a cup), water (twice as much as rice), 1 small onion, 1 egg, black pepper, one clove of garlic Prep Time: 40 minutes Make the filling and prepare the leaves After baking, there will quite a bit of liquid in the dish. Take each out of the water, place on a baking tray, and let set until they are cool enough to handle. YUMMMY!!!! So, how to cook Authentic Halupki Recipe? Reduce the heat and gently simmer for 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until the cabbage is tender. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and bring water to a boil in a large pasta or stock pot. You will have something that looks like an envelope. Reduce heat, cover, and allow to remain at a simmer. Stay in touch! , which are rolled cabbage leaves, are stuffed with deliciously flavored meat and rice and then baked in a rich tomato sauce. Combine the ground beef and pork, rice, scallions, parsley, egg, garlic powder and seasoning in a large bowl. This step is not one to involve the kids in! pepper, 1/2 tsp. My Baba had it too. In a medium size mixing bowl, stir together the condensed tomato soup, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, and black pepper. Saute the onion in a small amount of butter in a fry pan until soft and golden; set aside to cook. So this is a real authentic, Lean Turkey Kotlety with Mushroom Filling, Vegetarian Buckwheat and Mushroom Croquettes. She taught me how to make these Holubtsi. * Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Several years ago, we became inspired to make the recipe at home after visiting several Amish communities in beautiful Lancaster, Pennsylvania. 2 Add onion, garlic and bouillon. Place the leaves in a colander to cool. chopped onion or onion powder to taste 1/3 c. uncooked rice 2 cans tomato soup 2 cans water 1 tbsp. HubPages is a registered trademark of The Arena Platform, Inc. Other product and company names shown may be trademarks of their respective owners. In the meantime, make a batch of these Pennsylvania Dutch Stuffed Cabbage Rollsyoull be so glad that you did! That version also includes layering the halupki with sauerkraut and bacon, as well as sauteing onions and using both beef and pork in the meat filling. CAREFULLY lower the cored head of cabbage into the hot water. Remove the thick centre from the bottom of each cabbage leaf. Imagine my surprise when the person in front of me in line at a local ethnic food fest ordered a pig in a blanket then turned toward me holding a luscious-looking halupki on a plate! There were 14 leaves that were suitable for using for the rolls and several smaller ones blanched from the head of cabbage that were used to line the cooking pot. *** SHARING/REPUBLISHING *** Cabbage rolls in general are subject to great debate with every cook weighing in and convinced theirs are the best; ask 100 cooks for their recipe and you will get 100 different versions. 1 lb . There is no need to thoroughly drain the rice; it will be covered with water for cooking. Amount is based on available nutrient data. Rinse rice and cook it in 1/2 cup water until water is absorbed. Anyway, again were thrilled you had such success with the recipe and thank you SO MUCH for letting us know and for the wonderful review! salt, 1 tsp. You'll feel like you're eating grandma's special dinner. Chop bacon into bite-sized pieces and fry. The sauce can be made up to 2 days in advance before baking the dish. Place about 1/2 cup of meat on each cabbage leaf. Needless to say, they became an instant favorite and we have been enjoying them ever since that wonderful trip. You will likely have a little more cooked rice than you need for this recipe, so it does not matter if you do not get all of it out of the pot. It was a hit with crowd. -- or reduce heat to 175-200 overnight - check to ensure enough liquid - don't dry them out. Spread the sauce so that the all the rolls are covered. Steeped in tradition and loaded with heart-warming goodness. So this is a real authentic Halupki recipe, with a few of my own tweaks of course! This can be dangerous and something I learned a long time ago to try to avoid. Some of this will be added to the halupki sauce in a future step! Add 1/2 to the bottom of a 913 pan and set aside. Add enough water to cover completely. What you call cabbage rolls is dependent on where youre from; halupki, golumpki, gwumpki, or golabki, holubtsi, sarma, balandeliai (Lithuanian for little doves), or any spelling of the aforementioned just to name a few. It will be very hot at this point. -- to sweeten up the meat a bit, I add a good squirt of ketchup (there's only one brand - Heinz) and 1/2 can of tomato soup (you probably don't need this if you use pork - but at least try the ketchup). The cooked rolls will keep in the fridge for up to 1 week. Add the juice from the sauerkraut, about 1/3 cup of tomato sauce, onions (I saute my onions in about 2 tsps of shortening until they are nice & brown), and rice. In my neck of the woods, youd be hard-pressed to find a block party or church festival where these are not on the menu among the offerings at food stands. You can find out more about our use, change your default settings, and withdraw your consent at any time with effect for the future by visiting Cookies Settings, which can also be found in the footer of the site. In a bowl combine beef, pork, partially cooked rice, pepper, salt, eggs, cooked onion-bacon mixture, paprika, and celery salt. Place the meat in the cabbage leaf, and then gently roll up & tuck underneath, as needed. I cannot stress enough that this is a step during which you need to take your time and concentrate. And when you do, be sure to take a picture, post it on Instagram, and tag @howtofeedaloon and hashtag #howtofeedaloon! Thats interesting about freezing the cabbage. Cook Along With A Coalcracker In The Kitchen - Halupki (Stuffed Cabbage Rolls) View More in Eastern European. lean ground beef 1 large yellow onion diced 1 lg can of V8 or Vegetable juice 46 ounces 2 - 3 small cans beef broth 1 - 2 cups rice 1 lg can diced tomatoes salt & pepper Instructions Saute onion for a few minutes in oil Pour this evenly over the halupki in the pot. Is TikToks Viral Cottage Cheese Ice Cream As Healthy as It Seems? I always serve with mashed potatoes. This is a great way to buy cabbage when its on sale or when you have your garden just throw them in the freezer and its ready to go whenever you want cabbage rolls. Mix well by hand. Taking the remaining interior of the head of cabbage left over from blanching, shred or chop the piece using a sharp knife. 1 1/2 lb. While cabbage simmers, heat oil in pan over med-high heat and saut onion and garlic 3-5 minutes until browned. I tear all my leaves off before mixing my meats to get a little assembly line ready. Cook time depends on the size of the rolls and the cabbage used. Powered by American Hometown Media, Inc. Place 2 tablespoons beef mixture in center of each cabbage leaf, fold sides inward, and then roll up. -- incorporate 2 - 3 inch lengths of kielbasa throughout. Trim around the core of the cabbage, peel off any loose leaves and place into boiling water. Pour tomato sauce over rolls and bake until filling is cooked through, 50 minutes. Remove leaves until about 1/3 of the interior of the head of cabbage remains and the leaves are getting small and harder to peel away. Repeat until you have used all of the mixture. Seems every cooks recipe is a little different than every other and I mean every cooks! pepper, 1 Tbsp. Cover the rice with water, about 1 1/2 inches above the level of the rice.