I was also very sad to see Radio Shack go, even though it was crappy in a lot of ways, but hey, Ive been going since I was a kid back in the 60s. The Modern WWW, Or: Where Do We Want To Go From Here? Fake horses and hot air balloons hanging from the ceiling. Murphys Surplus in San Diego / El Cajon is amazing! I agree micro center is the best alternative to radio shack or fryes. said: NiteFire electronic kits, Florida., NightFire Electronics, LLC Electronics from Staples. https://youtu.be/1ERS111m89A. Priced to sell quickly! Not bearly a half assed hacker in the store nevermind a qualified Sales associate. Robot at Fry's Electronics - filming location", Last snapshot of official website prior to closing on February 25, 2021, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Fry%27s_Electronics&oldid=1152552497. My business is now bankrupt. LETS GO! Greed is the plague of our times. A Fry's Electronics location in Los Angeles, California, in 1997. Report an issue or PM me. Took my daughter to YDI maybe three years ago when they were running a class on soldering. No Microcenters within hundreds of miles of me. A fine night out in those days was Frys, Halted, Computer Literacy, Weird Stuff, followed by wings and drinks at St. James Infirmary. Such a fun place to visit. Would open source hardware be a thing like it is now? Updated: 11:23 PM EST February 24, 2021 INDIANAPOLIS Fry's Electronics has announced it is closing its chain of 31 stores for good. I picked up at Sparkfun a few years ago and in addition to my purchase they gave me a free copy of Nuts & Volts. 24 per page . [9], In 1998, USA Today and Wired reported that many customers had become frustrated with poor customer service at Fry's stores. Im trying to think of any Silicon Valley electronics stores left, save Central Computer and of course Apple and Best Buy. That location really could have used a giant squid crashing a UFO into a volcano or something. http://a1parts.com/. The new owner of the Active-Tech chain has split up the stores to be localized under an umbrella arrangement\. Its like a project idea factory. They were walking-dead long before Covid. The Fremont location had a huge room sized faraday cage with a tesla coil that would be engaded on a schedule every day. The only Frys in the Chicago area was a 45-60 minute drive, so I only visited on rare occasions or if I had other business to be in that suburb, but it was always an adventure. Oh, and all the 30-pin iPod docks anyone could have wanted in 2010. Fry's Electronics to permanently close all stores (msn.com) The remaining Fry's Electronics stores are all shutting down (engadget.com) Fry's Electronics workers claim managers told them retailer is closing its doors (eastbaytimes.com) I'm a bot to find news from different sources. Mayan Temple? Necessity, poverty, eco-friendliness, thriftiness, all yes. Its still there, and still pretty much the same place its always been. 1 / 13. SF does fill a pretty different need than Gateway2000/Fizells/JBSaunders used to; I miss being able to get an ADC locally. And, in fact, I think they lost their way when they started selling kitchen appliances. Fry's Electronics Has Declared Bankruptcy Electronics Store Files For Chapter 11 Bankruptcy Due To COVID-19 Pandemic The coronavirus pandemic has claimed yet another business victim- Fry's Electronics. haha right? While they are primarily a mail-order house, they had a will call that would have the order ready the same day it was placed. They did this with many, many items. The Anaheim Frys closed last March. In the 90s, locally we used to have some 5 Radio Shacks, and three independent electronics deals (Avec & Peoples were the two I visited the most). I might like to visit while thats still an option. . Fry's retailed software, consumer electronics, household appliances, cosmetics, tools, toys,. Find out more about how we use your personal data in our privacy policy and cookie policy. 11:48 AM on Nov 15, 2019 CST. Our site will be temporarily unavailable during this time. Everything from vacuum tubes to chips. I bought 1,000 power MOSFETS for $35 a while back! Winter Park, FL 32789 Virus crap not a good excuse. Were working to push a lot of our web inventory to the brick-and-mortar (ha, almost spelled motor) store, and were attempting to bring back that old Radio-Shack vibe with modern equipment. Near Baltimore, theres only MicroCenter that I know of. 701. They had a quirky and unusual inventory at times, and they were the best place to get electronic components in-person. They sell new and used parts, kits, tools and electronics anything from Raspberry PI and Arduinos to PCs. ", "Fry's Electronics putting warehouse in Hanford", "Fry's to close its Palo Alto doors for good in January", "Fry's Electronics stores soon to close, seeing same fate as Toys'R'Us? While most of his stock is gift oriented, he keeps his hand in the surplus market, and can source some remarkable equipment on request. As the chain expanded to more stores throughout the US, particularly in taking over multiple defunct Incredible Universe locations, Fry's rode the build-your-own boom of personal computing. I tried my first VR headset at a Frys, long before Oculus came around. Yeah, I went to the Fishers store late 2019, and it was a weird leaky ghost-town. Fry's Electronics was founded by the sons of grocery magnate Charles Fry, who's family founded the Fry's Food and Drug chain. Not spectacular on electronics, but hey have interesting stuff and the basics. [12] The original Sunnyvale store (located near the intersection of Oakmead Parkway and Lakeside Drive[13]) stocked numerous high-tech supplies such as integrated circuits, test and measurement equipment, and computer components, as well as software and various other types of consumer electronics. Gen Tojos Teeth: Morse Code Shows Up In The Strangest Places, Keebin With Kristina: The One With The Music Typewriter, Vintage Computer Festival East Was A Retro Madhouse, My Great-Great-Grandad, The Engineer Who Invented A Coffee Pot, Hackaday Podcast 216: FETs, Fax, And Electrochemical Fab, This Week In Security: Session Puzzling, Session Keys, And Speculation, Making Hydrogen With Solar Energy, With Oxygen And Heat A Bonus, ESAs Jupiter-bound Probe Hits Antenna Snag, Op Amp Challenge: An Op-Amp Buck Regulator, A Medieval Gothic Monastery Built Using CAD / CAM, A Microneedle Vaccine Patch Printer For Thermostable MRNA Vaccines, LED Matrix Displays Get New Look Thanks To SMD Stencils, Patent Spat Leaves DJI Owing Textron $279M. The listing for all Fry's locations having liquidation sales provided by Hilco can be found here Ive shopped at the Frys in Fountain Valley, CA since it opened 30 years ago. Fry's Electronics Has Gone Out Of Business, Closing All Stores Nationwide February 24, 2021 / 7:39 AM / CBS Texas NORTH TEXAS (CBSDFW.COM/CNN) It was a move that happened suddenly,. Most required customers to establish an account before they would sell you anything, which wrote off individuals. Its hidden in a little office strip block on the corner, pay attention to the signs. That was a sad day indeed when they closed. Showing 1 - 6 of 6 products. Coincidentally enough, while driving near a Frys on Sunday I commented that I should go in there and buy some components to help keep them going. [16], As the business expanded, the original Sunnyvale store closed, and a newer, larger store was opened across Lawrence Expressway on Kern Avenue. Im sure the real estate alone will keep the Fry family happy (or at least their creditors). Of course Ill go back as long as its there. Liquidation.com will be undergoing maintenance on February 18, 2021, between 9:30 pm and 10:30 pm Eastern. Volume purchase only - 50 pcs min in any combination of items. Visited Frys once when visiting the Bay area in 2007. If you think of any, let me know in the comments below? A1 is pretty good, havent managed to get there in a while. Both were on the world wide web early, introducing a new way to order parts that is much easier and less error-prone than phone orders, provides real-time inventory information, and eventually eliminated the need for massive paper catalogs. I once had a salesperson take me back deep into their stock shelves to show me what all they had of something. Doing PC support in the 90s was bizarre; Id buy a hub for a job. The web site has a useful price list for concise shopping. for awhile. Over near Montreal you can go to mastervox on the south shore. Well, thankfully we still have some MicroCenter goodness a few miles away in Westmont. Those were the days! Tel: 352-300-3548 In Montreal, theres Abra Electronics. Fry's Electronics was late in establishing an online sales presence. A couple of them like Lafayette (RIP) and Allied would begrudgingly accept mail orders and payment by check, and you could even buy from them with cash if you visited their headquarters. Theyre everything a Radio Shack should have been. The Anaheim location closed on March 2, 2020. Im not sure if parts can be had from the counter. By 2019, what used to be a paradise of gadgets, computers, components, video games, audio equipment and appliances had turned into ghost warehouses filled with empty shelves. Minimum 25 minute drive for me to reach the closest one. As of Feb. 24, the stores, website, and social media accounts are closed, and the company says they were doomed by changing retail shopping habits and complications from the Covid-19 pandemic. Frys was great if you needed something Right Now; Mouser has better prices and selection, though you have to buy enough to overcome the cost of shipping. Good Bot. The Egyptian store had fake columns, mummies and sarcophagi; laptops were laid out on huge stone slabs held up by statues of black panthers. I made a tradition to go back every time I made it up that way. The company said in an online posting that the pandemic had made it impossible to continue. [48][49] The outpost.com URL later began redirecting to the Fry's online store. The hobby could have died completely and these stores might have gone out of business a lot sooner. Fry's Electronics was an American big-box store chain. Rumors began flying on Tuesday in the form of anecdotes from alleged Fry's employees, who all reported that they'd been summarily fired earlier in the day with zero notice. Siderskiy, Valentin, A. Mohammed, and Vikram Kapila. Excess Solutions in San Jose is supposed to be similar to HSC, nothing will replace Weird Stuff tho , Excess Solutions bought the HSC inventory and some folks from HSC work at Excess Solutions now. 636 NW 27th Avenue, Ocala, FL 34475 Egyptians? The settlement was in relation to allegations that an assistant store manager at the Renton store harassed a 20-year-old sales associate by frequently sending her sexually charged text messages and inviting her to his house to drink. We're committed to providing you with the most innovative products available, with a focus on . Officials said this is a result of changes in the retail . Ive only been to Electronics Plus once: I happened to park across the street from it when in Littleton for other reasons, was surprised such a store still existed in 2019 (and was open on Saturday, no less), and had to stop in and check it out while I was there. Little stock, no staff, shopping carts willed with trash bags to catch roof leaks and a mysteriously huge pile of mattresses in the middle of the sales floor. They may not have an Adafruit section and theyre probably not open after 5:00PM or on the weekends, but these stores are still kicking and they need us now more than ever. I built many PC computers with Frys purchased components for my family and friends at incredibbly low prices compared to prebuilt PCs. Fry's Electronics, Inc. will permanently close its online and storefront shops, a response partly due to the pandemic. In order to liquidate they would have had to have something to actually liquidate Its filthy but full of cool electronic, mechanical, and miscellaneous surplus stuffand some occasional garbage. When I was active duty my friends and I would drive from Fort Hood to Austin to visit Frys on the weekends. Manufacturer website: remo-electronics.com I shopped at several Frys and liked the experience. :-). That practice has worked for some chains with a decades-long head start on the practice, particularly Walmart. There was a time when having your product on the shelf at Frys meant that you had arrived. What a shame. https://www.murphyjunk.net. I will miss Frys. I do like Mouser and been with them since well nevermind. by Buying your food in a large corporate store or online in a community that historically has survived on local purchases of locally grown food, you are simply contributing to your own communitys demise. You-Do-It Electronics in Needham, MA and Electronics Plus in Littleton, MA! I loved going to Sayal electronics and A1 when I lived in Toronto. If anyone in Indy has a lead on another I would love to hear about it. Ive only been in one Frys store, and that was the one in Las Vegas. Mouser is really amazing in that regard. It was a beige box with some pictures of Downers Grove pioneers. Bid on Whirlpool 5.3-cu ft Electric 5-in-1 Freestanding Range with Air Fry Fingerprint Resistant Stainless Steel - MAP $1,219 - Browse through our selection of wholesale Kitchen Appliances lots today! Umwhat? any other places I should check out @rob? Its a nice complement when youre trying to check people out and they say Um yeah, I just wanna browse a bit longer; its a cool store. hung from the ceiling, and the bodies of 1957 Chevys and Buicks served as dining tables in the cafe. MarVac should have been in my route too, but I just never made it there. Learn how your comment data is processed. Im not so sad for Frys itself the world evolved and they died out, just as Frys killed off a lot of smaller local businesses. Mitsuru Yamada liked Magnetic Core Memory The Dr Cockroach Way. https://www.mpja.com, Skycraft Parts & Surplus Hard to find decent help. I wish there was a place to go around here (Radio Shack was the last in this area, and it was sorely lacking). Initially, the company started a campaign to price-match any item you could find online. "Fry's mystique: timing, focus, frugalityand lots of advertising". Next time Im in LA Im going to make my first visit to the store. Radio Shack wasnt afraid to try innovative product ideas a few were brilliant, a few were terrible and most were at least interesting. Even computer parts is an on-line endeavor. Its not necessarily obvious that you should go through certain doors. Peter Brooker/Shutterstock/Shutterstock/Peter Brooker/Shutterstock Many of its retail locations had wacky themes. [62], This article is about the Fry's electronics stores. Electronics Parts Outlet (EPO) is in the south and ACE Electronics on the northside. Update, 10:57AM ET: Added Frys confirmation, statement, and additional info from sources. This page was last edited on 30 April 2023, at 22:49. Our hobby was in decline through the 80s and 90s. It added a childrens toy aisle, huge racks of As Seen on TV gadgets, even perfume. Last I checked there were numerous surviving independent RS stores. I wholeheartedly agree Id even occasionally grab some food, either a packet of discount astronaut ice cream or one of the many, many selections from their tremendous candy shelves attached to the checkout line. The shelves were 20-30% full and not a computer in the place, so I knew this day was coming. I like to think that we vote with our dollars and they should have to do something to earn that vote! On the evening of February 23, 2021, several internet sources began claiming employees were given notice that all remaining stores would close to the public nationwide, with the Frys.com website scheduled to go offline at 12:00 am PST. If you just buy what they sell for the price they sell it there is no competition. With Government subsidized shipping on all these imported products a local retailer just cant compete. As a visitor from the U.K. to BlackHat & DefCon in Las Vegas back in the early 2010s, a trip (or two, possibly more) down to Frys at the south end of Las Vegas Boulevard was an amazing experience. The arbitrator dismissed the complaint, which requested transfer of the Frys.us domain, ruling that Fry's Electronics did not have any more right to use the "Fry's" mark than other entities with a similar surname or commercial use of the word.