FOUNDED: 1865 [Thomas] couldve walked out the door, Wells says. Dietzel played football at Otterbein University, where he was an honorable mention all-conference defensive back in 1983. Little things didnt blow my gasket.. McKinney tosses 4 TD passes, EKU beats Citadel 37-14, CHARLESTON, S.C. -- Parker McKinney threw for a career-high four touchdowns and Eastern Kentucky beat The Citadel 37-14 on Saturday to give Walt Wells his first victory as a head coach. Hes been a defensive coordinator before, so his experience will help our defensive staff. While Bowling was stocking his fridge, he was trying to get a box together to send to his 90-year-old mother. The truth has to be told and Ill be your guy. There are 20 living Kentucky Derby winners. He had a pretty long blockage, which was also calcified, which means [this attack has] been brewing for a while, so hes probably had some buildup of blockages, says interventional cardiologist Amartya Kundu, the head physician who treated Wells. The game was matchup EKU and Jacksonville State University. However, under NCAA rules, such a move would require that EKU receive an invitation from an existing FBS conference. $55.00. Defensive Coordinator/Inside Linebackers Coach. The official Football Coach List for the Eastern Kentucky University Colonels Skip To Main . The official Roster for the Eastern Kentucky University Colonels The official staff directory for the Eastern Kentucky University Colonels Staff Directory - Eastern Kentucky University Athletics Skip To Main Content Pause All Rotators Skip To Main Content Eastern Kentucky University Athletics One player that BYU is actively pursuing is . I did not realize that was such a big deal, Wells says. OVC FOOTBALLJunior offensive lineman Graham Ashkettle has also reportedly quit the EKU football team over concerns about COVID-19 safety guidelinesHe was a Second-Team All-OVC selection last year@EKUFootball. Bowling often asks what would have happened to Wells if he wasnt there, remembering to restock the coachs fridge. During this time period they went 46-7 under legendary coach Roy Kidd. All Rights Reserved. Staff Directory Members By Category/Department; Image Name Title Email Address Phone; Paul Hamilton: Interim Head Football Coach paul.hamilton@kysu.edu: Seeing the players was good for me; its good for my heartnot my heart health, but my mental health, my well-being. Is he going to see me graduate? I don't usually fall apart because somebody has to keep it together [since] he couldnt obviously, so I just guess I processed and I compartmentalized, but it was scary.. The use of software that blocks ads hinders our ability to serve you the content you came here to enjoy. Athletic Director Matt Roan released a statement on Wednesday afternoon: Eastern Kentucky University Athletics is aware of online statements recently made by a former student-athlete. RICHMOND, Ky. Mike Dietzel and Garry McPeek have joined the Eastern Kentucky football staff. This was The Citadel's only home game in a four-game fall schedule allowed by the Southern Conference, which hopes to play a spring league slate. This goes for my players family and my family. Im sure their phones were blown up when they got off the field. However, he has good quickness to shoot gaps and impact the mesh point. However, he has good quickness . As the running backs/wide receivers/tight ends coach at Army (1995-99) Dietzel mentored a running backs group that led the nation in rushing in 1996 and 1998. It is good to have him on board.. Head Coach. They also had access to the needed equipment. EKU will play 11 games in the 2022 season, six home games and five away games. 338 LEXINGTON AVE. My last day is finally here. Chris Rodriguez is headed to the big stage, Heres how you can get free Mothers Day flowers, Will Levis goes 33rd overall to the Tennessee Titans. McPeek, who has served as assistant director of football operations, director of football operations and finally chief of staff since joining the EKU program last year, has been named acting head coach. Dietzel started the Fellowship of Christian Athletes program at Earlham in 1987. Most professions take 20 every three years.. Bowling ran out and told an assistant coach to call 911 while he phoned athletic trainers Kristen Peterson and Zach Vigliotti, who both rushed upstairs from the athletic training room to attend to Wells. He was taught not to cry, but he gets close during the postgame speech to his team. His personality will be infectious to our staff and players. He earned his bachelors degree in educational administration from Otterbein (1985) and his masters in educational administration from Colorado (1986). UK ATHLETICS Apply Now New Applicants Current EKU Employee Frequently Asked Questions Background Check Process Employee Information Staff Handbook Faculty Handbook Separation of Employment LOCATION: LEXINGTON, KENTUCKY Sources: ASUN, WAC eye pairing for FBS jump, Connelly: Ranking the chances of all 24 teams in the FCS playoffs, Eastern Kentucky wins 7-OT marathon game vs. EKU Athletics continues to work in lockstep with University administration, the EKU Office of Public Safety and Risk Management and the Madison County Health Department.. The official 2023 Football Roster for the Eastern Kentucky University Colonels. SEC Softball Box Score: Statistics from the Eastern Kentucky Colonels vs. Kentucky Wildcats played on Apr 26, 2023 Visit ESPN to view the Eastern Kentucky Colonels team roster for the current season Thomas Bowling, Eastern Kentucky's director of football operations, noticed it on his way out the door on a late August evening. I came here to watch the film. Dietzel helped the 2001 Kent State team to its first winning season in 14 years while serving as the defensive coordinator and secondary coach. While serving as the secondary/co-special teams coach and recruiting coordinator, he helped Buffalo to the 2013 Famous Idaho Potato Bowl. The trainers were prepared for an emergency medical situation and how to use the devices. Football Chief of Staff garry.mcpeek@eku.edu: Billy Brown: Director of Football Sports Performance william.brown@eku.edu: 859-622-8023 859-622-8023: Gregory Bourn: See latest map, NFL Draft: Reaction to Tennessee Titans taking Kentucky quarterback Will Levis, After being drafted by Commanders, Chris Rodriguez knows his mom would be proud. Dietzel will serve as the safeties coach and McPeek will be the assistant director of football operations. Below is a list of all playoff appearances. The day afterward, and six days since he very nearly died in his office, Wells did what he always does after a game: He went in to watch the film. Our staff and I look forward to assisting him throughout this process for the benefit of the young men who make up our team.. He most recently served as the offensive line coach at Valdosta High School during the 2020 season, helping the team reach the GHSA 6A semifinals. What if he didnt knock on Wellss closed door or left when he didnt hear an answer, which staffers say is what they normally do, assuming the coach was hard at work? Eastern Kentucky University football announced the 2022 season schedule on Feb. 21. While the trainers and EMTs treated Wells, the device recorded his heart activity, and the data was shared with his cardiologist. Whats going on with Kentucky basketball recruiting? Register. RICHMOND, Ky. - Mike Dietzel and Garry McPeek have joined the Eastern Kentucky football staff. People need to know what the NCAA and University is really about and its not about player safety. Ive told them you cant let a little hamstring keep you out, Wells says with a laugh. In 2020, BSU was seventh in the nation in defensive touchdowns. McPeek holds a bachelors of arts degree in secondary education from Morehead State University. The school has traditionally had much success on the football field, having won 21 OVC conference titles and two Division I FCS National Championships (then called Division I-AA) in 1979 and 1982, and reaching the finals in 1980 and 1981. By Camille Gear Published : Aug. 4, 2020 at 10:36 PM EDT | Updated : Aug. 5 . I missed one game. I kind of mess with them on that, but they look at me like, Youve got a point. Its all in fun, but I think its been an eye-opening experience for them.. There are meeting rooms with 100+ players and staff crammed into it with zero space and no social distancing rules in sight. McKinney and Jones combined for two touchdowns in the first quarter and Keyion Dixon made it 20-7 in the second quarter following a Bulldogs fumble when he made a juggling catch of a long pass for a 50-yard score. Former Frederick Douglass High School athletics director Garry McPeek is the acting head coach for the Eastern Kentucky University football team in the absence of Walt . It was miraculous, according to Kundu, who ballparked someone in Wellss condition leaving the hospital alive at around 20%. He spent his first week back on the job largely on a golf cart, off to the side, before the Bowling Green game Sept. 10, which he joked was a good test of how well his heart was working. Dietzel will serve as the safeties coach and McPeek will be the assistant director of football operations. He was a key part of Ball States MAC Championship and bowl win. He was dead, Jen recalls. First and foremost, the health, safety and overall well-being of our student-athletes will always be a primary priority. In three seasons as the head coach at Lawrence County High School from 2001 to 2003, McPeek led the team to a 28-5 record. He served as the defensive backs/safeties coach at Ball State during the 2019 and 2020 seasons. What Washington fans need to know about 6th-round NFL Draft pick Chris Rodriguez. RICHMOND, Ky. - EKU head football coach Walt Wells today announced the addition of seven more recruits to the program's 2023 signing class, giving the Colonels 27 newcomers in the class. Furthermore, any student-athlete reporting to campus for activity for the first time in August has been, and will continue to be, required to receive a negative test result prior to their return. Heres where they all are now. Weaknesses: TK McLendon Jr. is an athletic interior defender with great size. Eastern Kentucky Football | News, Scores, Highlights, Injuries, Stats, Standings, and Rumors | Bleacher Report Eastern Kentucky Football EKU Football @EKUFootball Eastern Kentucky. But the noise Bowling heard was actually Wells dropping to the floorthe coach was having a heart attack. I want to sit there and have my notes ready for the coaches when they get in. At Eastern Kentucky Football there is little or no testing, (last team test was July 6). 2004-2023 CBS Interactive. Other than that, and I think Im bugging him, because I keep going, Are you O.K. Staff Directory Members By Category/Department; Name Title Email Address Phone; Mike Houston: Head Coach hoggarda@ecu.edu (252) 737-4568 (252) 737-4568 : To coincide with the recent commencement of preseason practice, weekly testing will be performed consistent with resocialization requirements. Our staff and coaches take every opportunity to remind student-athletes to practice social distancing including conducting meetings virtually wear the proper masks/PPP, practice proper hygiene and to contact EKU Sports Medicine if they are feeling ill. We continue to learn during this pandemic and our protocols evolve as we learn new information and receive additional guidance from public health professionals. Eastern Kentucky is scheduled to kick off its 2022 season at Eastern Michigan on Friday at 7 p.m. Im honored that our administration has the confidence in me to step in during this critical time, McPeek said. McPeek has more than 30 years of teaching, coaching and administration experience. 23 Buffalo in the Mid-American Conference Championship game and a win over No. PHONE (859) 257-8000, QUICK FACTS NICKNAME: WILDCATS His first step is elite, and he's coming off a season where he led all players at the position with a 92.4 PFF pass-rushing grade and should . The Bowling Green Falcons will be playing at home against the Eastern Kentucky Colonels at 4 p.m. Given that he was well into his 50s, and his mother was in her 90s, he thought maybe the bad side of his family history skipped over him. Top UK mens basketball recruiting links from the Next Cats blog, which is updated regularly with the latest UK news and the biggest national college basketball stories. Some of them were like theyd seen a ghost, Wells says. RICK PENICK, Lakeland: The 5-8, 160-pound Pence was an explosive playmaker the past two seasons at Ridge. Through it all, we tried our best to stay positive. We ask that you consider turning off your ad blocker so we can deliver you the best experience possible while you are here. What We Learned From Steelers First Draft of Omar Khan Era, NFL Fails To Draft More HBCU Players | Blow the Whistle Podcast, Bengals WRs Coach Troy Walters on Charlie Jones: He Just Knows How to Get Open, Report: Oklahoma OL Enters Transfer Portal. Mike Dietzel has 30-plus years of coaching experience at the college and professional level. From 2006 to 2008 he was the head coach and general manager for the Huntington Heroes Arena Football Team. 0 views, 0 likes, 0 loves, 0 comments, 0 shares, Facebook Watch Videos from WBON TV: 2023 Suits For Seniors Live event | EKU Football Event. Walt Wells. Eastern Kentucky has participated in six bowl games. and last updated 10:34 PM, Aug 29, 2022. He is still a bit raw, and pad level prevents him from shedding blocks in the run game. The new signees consist of two running backs, two tight ends, one linebacker, one offensive lineman, and one safety. They did not think but rather simply reacted and started CPR within minutes. The Colonels want to regain their former status as a dynasty in college football's second tier, earned during the. Wells says he has been asked by countless people whether he had seen the light. RICHMOND, Ky. (WKYT) - Garry McPeek has been named the acting head football coach at Eastern Kentucky University. Copyright 2020 WYMT. I agree to receive the "Pick Six Newsletter" and marketing communications, updates, special offers (including partner offers), and other information from CBS Sports and the Paramount family of companies. 2023 Football Coaching Staff. The situation was somewhat similar to what coaches and players had to deal with during the early days of the COVID-19 pandemic, when a coach could be out for a few games due to illness. The Colonels finished the 2021 season with a 7-4 record, including three wins against preseason Top-25 teams. Garry McPeek has filled a variety of roles as a longtime coach and athletics administrator in Central Kentucky. With 2 pregnant sisters, 3 nieces and a nephew, and a mom & dad as well as my Grandmother and grandfather I love dearly, I need to protect them at ALL cost. Announced schedules as of November 26, 2022.[9]. ? So thats been the majority of it, but I feel like were really blessed and that it just wasnt the time yet.. Sometimes at night, I do touch him to see if hes breathing, and then one night I put my hand on his chest and he woke up and he goes, What are you doing? Jen says. . At the time, the ASUN did not sponsor football, but had committed to launching an FCS football league in the near future. of Worn Cleat Club, Director of Athletics Communications (Football, Beach Volleyball), Associate Director (Men's Basketball, Volleyball, Baseball), Assistant Director (Women's Basketball, Soccer, Softball, Golf), Graduate Assistant, Athletics Communications (Cross Country, Track & Field, Tennis), Assistant Director of Athletics Operations & Analytics, Graduate Assistant, Athletics Operations & Facilities, Graduate Assistant, Marketing and Operations, Defensive Coordinator/Inside Linebackers Coach, Offensive Coordinator/Running Backs Coach, Wide Receivers Coach/Co-Recruiting Coordinator, Outside Linebackers Coach/Co-Special Teams Coordinator, Cornerbacks Coach/Co-Recruiting Coordinator, Defensive Line Coach/Run Game Coordinator for Defense, Tight Ends Coach/Special Teams Coordinator, Assistant Director of Football Sports Performance, Director of Football Recruiting Operations, Director of Equipment Services for Football, Assistant Director of Football Sports Medicine, Director of Student-Athlete Mental Health. Peterson received the phone call at 10:01 a.m., and paramedics arrived by 10:14. Including a four year run to the championship game from 1979 to 1982. 2019 EKU Football Roster. That said, the appointment of Coach McPeek as acting head coach allows the team to move forward in the most efficient, least disruptive manner possible. But it's been more of a trend at Kentucky as men's basketball recruiting has outpaced football recruiting in recent years. Print. Have you done anything physical? and I say, Yesterday at practice I got 6,000 steps and I walk up the steps coming to the second floor probably 15 times a day. He kind of looked at me and then he figured out who I was.. I met Mike in the late 1990s and worked with him at Western Kentucky from 2003 to 2009, Wells said. He was pulseless and was not breathing. The Head Coach does not care about his players safety as well as his staff and their families. The U.S. Army has grounded aviation units for training after 12 soldiers died within the last month in helicopter crashes in Alaska and Kentucky, the military branch announced Friday. When a student-athlete, coach or staff member reports symptoms to EKU Sports Medicine, that individual has been immediately monitored, tested and quarantined, if necessary. The BYU coaching staff has already added 16 transfers to . Wells had dealt with atrial fibrillation (a condition causing an irregular heart rhythm that can lead to clotting) in the past and has a significant family history of heart disease. He tells Peterson hes built different, and now his players dont have an excuse to sit out. McLendon has good play strength, so teams will find all of the desirable traits in a developmental Day 3 interior defender. He helped the team win four conference titles and a national championship. Director Athletics Communications and Public Relations (FB/MBB Media Operations, Rifle, NCAA Championships), Associate Director Athletics Communications and Public Relations (BASE, FB Secondary), Associate Director Athletics Communications and Public Relations (MBB, MGOLF, STUNT), Associate Director Athletics Communications and Public Relations (SOFT, VB), Assistant Director Athletics Communications & Public Relations (WBB, WGOLF), Website Coordinator | Contact for Cheer, Dance, STUNT, Athletics Communications and Public Relations Assistant (GYM, M SOC, W TEN), Athletics Communications and Public Relations Assistant (S&D, WSOC, MTEN), Athletics Communications and Public Relations Assistant (T&F, XC, WBB), Director of Sports Medicine Head Athletic Trainer (FB), Assistant Athletic Trainer- Track and Field, Cross Country, Assistant Director of Strength & Conditioning, Olympic Sports, Director of Player Development - Baseball, Head Men's Basketball Strength & Conditioning Coach, Assistant Men's Basketball Strength & Conditioning Coach, Assistant Director of Strategic Communications, Academic Counselor Sr. & Learning Services Coordinator for Football, Academic Counselor Sr (MGOLF, WGOLF, VB, SB, STUNT), Director of Academic Advising Services (MSOC, WSOC, GYM, WTEN), Strength & Conditioning Coach (MTEN, WTEN, T&F & CHEER), Associate Head Coach / Tight Ends / Recruiting Coordinator / NFL Liaison, Defensive Coordinator / Outside Linebackers. Visit ESPN to view the Eastern Kentucky Colonels team stats for the 2022 season. Roster Layout: Choose A Season: Sort By: After his teams seven-overtime victory against Bowling Green, in a game he did not coach, Walt Wells came close to expressing emotion in a way he rarely does. Entering its third year as a Field to be named CG Bank Field at Roy Kidd Stadium RICHMOND, Ky. Citizens Guaranty Bank and Eastern Kentucky University announced today the signing of an 11-year naming rights partnership for the playing surface at Roy Kidd Stadium. Is he going to walk me down the aisle? Jen Wells (left) in the early hours after her husband, Walt, had a heart attack: I processed and I compartmentalized, but it was scary.. Football Coaching Staff. As the linebackers/secondary coach/special teams coordinator, he helped Central Michigan to bowl appearances in three of his four seasons with the Chippewas (2015-18) before joining the Ball State staff. This page is not available in other languages. The BYU football program is recruiting the transfer portal to improve the 2023 roster . Camps are open to any and all entrants, limited only by age/grade level. The official Football Coach List for the East Carolina University Pirates Skip To Main . Theyve both always believed in a higher power; its fair to say thats been strengthened. The coaching staff consulted with the players, and the decision was made to continue on with game prep and a practice that understandably featured a team focusing on things beyond football. "The schedule we have is very challenging," head coach Walt Wells . Assistant Coach - Safeties/Co-Special Teams Coord. 8:21 pm ET. Four of these bowl games served as a sort of championship game, whether as a regional championship game or as the NCAA Division I Football Championship. But the same day people had symptoms we continued to practice instead of face the issue head on. The Citadel restricted fan attendance to about one-quarter of its stadium capacity. He went into his office and started working, and I started filling up his fridge, says Bowling, who also played for EKU and was on the roster when Wells took over in 2020. Peterson made sure Jen Wells and the Wellss two children were shielded from seeing what was going on when they arrived while Vigliotti continued to help the EMTs. He helped WKU to two Football Championship Subdivision (FCS) playoff appearances and then a 7-5 record in the first year of its transition to the Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) level. On Saturday, hell test himself as head coach of a Division I football team for the first time. There are a bunch of potential positives in there. Peterson estimated that if Wellss heart had been stopped for any more than about five minutes, he wouldnt be here right now. It was important for him to see Wells as soon as he could, and he was there on the day Wells woke up in the hospital. PRESIDENT: ELI CAPILOUTO Dietzel replaces former assistant Shannon Morrison on the staff. While high-level FBS teams have large athletic training staffs, the size can vary across levels of the sport. (WYMT) - An Eastern Kentucky University football player quit the team due to COVID-19 safety concerns. This is a tough day for me, but somebody has gotta tell the truth on what us athletes are going through during this pandemic. From July 1998 to June 2001 McPeek was the athletic director and assistant football coach at Russell High School. Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand. ADDRESS Landon White, a kicker, and graduate from Madison Central High School took to Instagram to explain his reason for leaving the team. He mentored three-time All-MAC linebacker Malik Fountain and All-MAC safety Kavon Frazier, a 2016 draft choice of the Dallas Cowboys, at CMU. All rights reserved. He is still a bit raw, and pad level prevents him from shedding blocks in the run game. Dietzel also coached at Colorado (1985-86), Earlham (1987) and Johns Hopkins (1994). COLORS: BLUE & WHITE All three of Tennessee transfer Jacquez Jones' catches went for touchdowns, the longest a 53-yarder that gave EKU (1-2) a 30-14 lead in the third quarter. Dakota Allen is a unique tight end talent. EKU provides faculty and staff with opportunities to transforms lives of students and communities and enables them to adapt and succeed in a dynamic, global society. McPeek spent two stints on the staff of the Kentucky Horseman Arena Football Team from 2002 to 2006 and 2008 to 2010. SPORTS ILLUSTRATED is a registered trademark of ABG-SI LLC. Keep in mind we started fall camp on Friday July 31st. Ive been asked 100 times about that. Eastern Kentucky has won 21 conference championships, 16 outright and 5 shared.[8]. ATHLETICS DIRECTOR: MITCH BARNHART, Executive Associate AD/ SWA & Student Development, Executive Associate AD/External Operations, Executive Associate AD/Chief Financial Officer, Executive Assoc Athletics Dir/Sports Medicine and Performance, Executive Associate AD / Diversity, Equity and Inclusion, Executive Associate AD/Chief Revenue Officer, Executive Associate AD | Student Athlete Experience, Assistant AD for Premium Seating, Hospitality & Events, Associate Athletics Director/Business Operations, Assistant AD for Athletics Communications and Public Relations, Director of Analytics & Professional Strategy, Assistant Athletic Director / (DEI) Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (RIFLE), Asst AD Student Athlete Development & Professional Advancement, Director of Athletics Communications and Public Relations (FB), Assoc. Eastern Kentucky University football is considered the first dynasty in FCS football. [4] While the ASUN launched its own football league in 2022, it maintained its partnership with the WAC for the 2022 season. In 2001, Dietzel served as the secondary coach/defensive passing game coordinator for the New York/New Jersey Hitmen of the XFL. His heart monitoring device was removed the day before that game, and he is continuing to go to cardiac rehab. Eastern Kentucky's football team was able to secure 31 consecutive winning seasons before finally posting a losing season record in 2009. Ive got to know. And Im like, Dude, if youre trying to save your soul on the fact that I saw a light, then you better reassess that.. Wells is hospitalized in stable condition at UK Hospital in Lexington. Thomas Bowling, Eastern Kentuckys director of football operations, noticed it on his way out the door on a late August evening. I dont think she realized the extent of what was going on, and then she called me back and she asked me if he was gone, and I was like, No, Ms. Wells, theyre doing CPR.. What if Peterson didnt answer the phone since multiple calls from Bowling arent rare during a normal day? At that point, I left the room, Bowling says.