Squeeze in the juice of a lemon, let it sizzle briefly then add a handful of chopped mint leaves. Peel the butternut squash and reserve the long strips of skin. While they are cooking, fry the onions in the butter over a moderate heat until soft and translucent.. Bring a deep pan of water to the boil with the bay leaves and peppercorns. Score the rectangle again and push the inner pastry down with the back of a spoon to form a shallow hollow. Stir the cheese into the soup as you eat. Certainly the chill has gone, the heat pump hasn't even been switched on today,,,plus the intermit Winter is full of greens here in NZ, each week the veggie box is packed full of themspinach, silver beet, chard, cavolo nero. Serves 4. Slice the onions thinly and let them soften with the butter in a pan while you finely chop the carrot and garlic.. Shred 150g of smoked streaky bacon and fry in a shallow pan until golden and lightly crisp. Goose stock the edible treasure rescued from under the carcass and shredded, mealy butterbeans and herbs is always a winner, particularly if there has been a decent frost and the soup is served hot enough to scald our lips. 4 parsnips 2 tablespoon olive or rapeseed oil 1 onion 2 garlic cloves 2 teaspoon curry powder mild or medium 750 ml vegetable stock 50 ml dairy-free cream Instructions Preheat the oven to 180C / 350F / Gas Mark 4. Peel the celeriac and beetroot, slice thinly, then cut into long, thin matchsticks. Place the onions on top, spooning any sauce over them, then scatter with the cucumber and parsley. Peel the onions, lower them into the boiling water then turn down the heat to a simmer. Peel 300g of parsnips and scrub 200g of carrots. Serves 4bay leaves 4black peppercorns 6onions 8, medium ginger a 50g piecesake or dry sherry 4 tbspchilli flakes 2 good pinchesmaple or brown rice syrup 2 tbsplight miso paste 4 lightly heaped tbsplemon juice 3 tbspsesame seeds 1 tbsp, For the ricebrown or white basmati 150gbay leaves 3cardamom pods 6lemon peel 5cm stripcucumber 1parsley 2 tbsprice or wine vinegar a few drops. Bake at 200C/gas mark 6 for 25-30 minutes till lightly crisp.. Transfer it to a mixing bowl and keep it warm. Cut the bacon into stamp-sized pieces, then cook them in a dry, nonstick pan until their fat starts to run, letting them crisp lightly. Nigel Slater's Porridge Passion & Custard Confessions. Divide between 2 warm plates, place the rested pork steaks on top then spoon over the reserved juices and serve. Remove the thighs from the soup. Serves 2. They give a lovely crunch sprinkled over the soup. Method. Mash the cooked parsnips to a smooth pure in a food mixer with 50g of butter,. 2 bay leaves 1.3 litres fresh vegetable stock Fresh coriander leaves to serve Method Heat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Jerusalem Artichokes, lemon and mograbia, Celeriac, beetroot and blackberry salad , Red winter leaves, pears and baked cheese , Potatoes with olive oil, garlic & rosemary , Potatoes, cheese, chillies, green olives , A filo pastry pie with beetroot, spinach and feta cheese, Roast Jerusalem artichokes with lemon and giant couscous, Cream of onion soup with baked onions and speck, A salad of sliced celeriac, beetroot and blackberries, Rainbow chard stalks, hot, sweet and spicy, Thinly sliced potatoes baked with goose fat and rosemary, Red winter leaves with baked cheese, pears & chestnuts, Thin, crisp fritters of sauerkraut and smoked cheese, Whole baked celeriac with a coconut and chilli sauce, Broccoli and potatoes with tomatoes and tamarind, Baked potatoes with roasted garlic, herbs and cream cheese, Roast shallots, Jerusalem artichokes and mushroom broth, Layers of potato baked with olive oil, garlic and rosemary, Beetroot, blood oranges, capers, mustard and honey, Wild mushrooms with spring onion and fresh herb hummus, Baked potatoes with nduja, tomato and mascapone Cream, Mashed potato and greens fritters with salsa verde, Whole baked cauliflower with a spicy harissa, lemon and tomato sauce, Parsnip and Bacon Cakes with Curry cream sauce, A warm, winter salad of red cabbage and Stilton, Puff pastry tart with pumpkin, ricotta and rosemary filling, Little cakes of sweet potato, coriander and kimchee, A crisp winter salad of chicory and fried apples with walnuts and Pecorino, A Christmas chutney of dried apricots and red onions, A salad of Brussels sprouts and pears with blue cheese, Potato and polenta chips, red pepper and garlic dip, Orange, grapefruit, red Cabbage and toasted cashew salad, Red Cabbage and ginger with malt and cider vinegars, Cauliflower with smoked garlic, cream and cheddar, Mashed, buttered swede with crisp potato and thyme Cakes, A deep-crust pie filled with cauliflower and cheese, A filo tart with beetroot, mustard seeds and chickpeas, Layers of thinly sliced potatoes, baked with cream and smoked garlic, Onions, baked with miso and sherry, served with rice, A vegetable stock with noodles, chillies and greens, A soup of sweet potatoes and fried mushrooms and thyme, Kale, cucumber, mint, basil and apple juice for winter, A tart of mushrooms and dill with cream and Parmesan, A main-course spiced pumpkin, lentil and noodle soup, Sweet potatoes layered with spiced lentils and baked, Baked pumpkin with hummus, pink peppercorns and thyme. I use small shimeji mushrooms for their flavour but buttons are good too, in which case I would slice them in half. Bake in the preheated oven for 40-45 minutes, occasionally basting with the juices from the baking dish. A tart of butternut squash, bacon and Parmesan with a cheese crust. Put the noodles in a large heatproof jug or a large bowl and pour the boiling water over them. 1.5litres/2pints chicken stock (vegetarians may substitute. Mild spices and goat's curd. (I like to turn each one over halfway through cooking so they get evenly browned.). Lift the onions out with a draining spoon and place them, just touching one another, in a roasting tin or baking dish. You can do this in seconds using a food processor. Set the oven at 180C fan/gas mark 6. In our house, soup is dinner. You will have about 12 cakes. Peel the ginger and grate to a paste on a very sharp, fine-toothed grater. Melt the butter in a saucepan, pour in a little olive oil, then add the chopped onions and let them cook over a low heat for 15 minutes. Nigel Slater's recipes for sausages and beans, and panna cotta with blood orange A hearty meal of baked sausages with a mash of beans and spinach, followed by an elegant set cream with winter. Its not a thick soup. Here is a selection of those columns, personal, practical, often a little eccentric, an archive of recipes and journalism from the Guardian website. Inevitably, we shall have something made with ingredients of which Ive bought too many. Leave to simmer for 10 minutes, then remove from the heat and leave, lid untouched, for a further 10. Nigel Slater Tue 18 Jan 2022 07.00 EST Grated winter root vegetables - celeriac, carrots and parsnips - with a mild curry cream sauce make a tasty light supper with brown rice or a good side. Roasting the parsnips first is not an affectation. After an hour liquidise the soup in a blender or with a stick mixer. 2 large parsnips, approx 500g, roughly chopped, Heat a small skillet over a a medium heat and add the. To make the pastry, cut the butter into cubes and rub it into the flour with your fingertips until it resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Sweet root vegetables parsnips, carrots and beetroot work well with spices such as cumin and coriander. Grate the parsnips, carrots and celeriac coarsely into thin matchsticks. Pour the resulting dressing over the onions, turning them over so they are glossily coated. Tip the dough on to a lightly floured board and knead for 30 seconds or so (no longer) shaping it into a ball as you go. Finely chop the kimchi and stir in. Herb soups the colour of a summer lawn; chunky bean broths with bowls of gaspingly garlicky aioli; a classic chilled cucumber and sheeps yogurt soup flecked with radishes and capers. Chicken, Oranges, Sesame (modern). Read about our approach to external linking. Thanks Hannah, yes the chips make it seem a little indulgent :). The crunch here comes from the beetroot, red cabbage and celeriac, but you could use carrots or kohlrabi. A cunning decision on my part to make a pot of parsnip soup, with pools of Stilton melting into its ivory depths. Salsify with toasted pumpkin seeds, chives and sheep's cheese. Serves 3-4assorted tomatoes 750ggarlic 3 cloves, peeled and crushedolive oil 3 tbspred onion 1, mediumcumin seeds 2 tsp, lightly crushedcoriander seeds 2 tsp, coarsely crushedharissa paste 1 tbsp, For the couscousvegetable stock 500mlquick-cooking couscous 200gmint leaves 10gparsley leaves 15g. Warm a thin layer of groundnut or vegetable oil in a shallow pan and fry the cakes until lightly crisp on the underside, then turn with a palette knife and brown the other side. (A first-time cook recently confided in me that she was terrified. Remove the skin from the chicken thighs, reserve, then put the thighs into the stock. Choose carrots that are large and firm. A pinch of sour saltiness with your sweet soup. Drain the potatoes. (Harissa paste does much for a less than sublime tomato.) All rights reserved. Add both to the pan and stir occasionally as they become tender. Place the pumpkin slices on the surface, sprinkle a little parmesan and trickle very lightly with olive oil. Thanks Arfi, yes cooler moorings for sure.though lucky to still have had some spectacular days :). Bring the vegetable stock to the boil. A crisp pie filled with spinach, broad beans and feta. This is a quick supper, so I generally use a favourite branded curry powder, but you could easily make your own spice mix if you prefer. It should soften and become fragrant, but shouldn't brown. Drain the noodles, then use kitchen tongs to transfer them to four warm bowls. Add the chopped parsley and the basil leaves. Surfeit of parsnips? For the croutons, drizzle a little olive oil over the ciabatta, pat it in, then finely grate and press some grated Parmesan on to each side. Potatoes or swedes are good here if parsnips are not your thing. Serves 4For the pasteginger a 50g piecegarlic 2 cloves, peeledred chillies 3 smalllemongrass 2 large stalksspring onions 3, choppedturmeric 3 tspfresh coriander 40g, leaves and stemsgroundnut or vegetable oil 2 tbsp, For the soupshallots 3 largegroundnut or vegetable oil 3 tbspvegetable stock 500mlcoconut milk 1 x 400ml tinmakrut lime leaves 4 thin noodles 150g assorted greens 190g. Remove the dough from the fridge and tenderly roll into a disc large enough to line the tart case. Score a rectangle about 2cm in from the edge dont go right through to the parchment. Transfer to the loaf tin, smoothing the surface and taking care to push the stuffing into the corners. To serve, place the cream into a bowl and whip lightly until soft peaks form when the whisk is removed. Discard the butternut squash pulp and chop the remaining butternut squash into chunks. Bake at 200C/gas mark 6 for 25-30 minutes till lightly crisp. Add the rosemary and a few grinds of the peppermill, then mix well. Heat the olive oil in a large . So every time Mum visits form the mother country top of the list of to do is to fill my freezer with a batch of her lentil soup to tide me over until her next visit. For this soup you'll need: 25g butter 1 tablespoon olive oil (I used vegetable as that's what we had in) 1 small leek, diced 1 clove garlic, crushed 1 small potato, diced 450g broccoli florets 800ml vegetable stock 100-150g Stilton cheese (whatever you've got in, I suppose) How-to-videos Method Simmer the parsnips in salted water until tender - about 15 to 20 minutes. Trim the Brussels sprouts, removing yellowing or bruised leaves. Part recipe journal, part kitchen chronical, each story has, at its heart, a recipe I have cooked during the week that I feel I would like to share. Cut the mushrooms into small pieces. To ensure the soup is gluten-free, check that the stock you use doesn't contain gluten. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper. Everything just needs a quick blast in the blender or food processor although I find the texture of the cashew nuts most pleasing when I grind them using a pestle and mortar, leaving them as a rough, gravelly powder. You could substitute potatoes for celeriac if you wish. Brush the edges with the beaten egg and bake for 10 minutes until puffed up and lightly coloured. Warm a cm depth of the groundnut oil in a frying pan, then carefully lift the cakes, four at a time and fry for a minute or two over a moderately high heat until crisp on the bottom. Serves 4 (vegan)garlic 2 large clovescumin seeds 2 tspcoriander seeds 2 tspsea salt tspdried chilli flakes a pinchgroundnut oil 4 tbspbeetroot 500g, smallpotatoes 500g, smallcarrots 8, small, slim, For the mashharicot, cannellini or butter beans 2 x 400g tinsolive oil 2 tbspparsley leaves a good handfullemon juice 1 tbsp. Pour in the stock, bring to the boil, then lower the heat to a gentle simmer. Peel the onions, lower them into the boiling water then turn down the heat to a. Peel the ginger and grate it finely, then add to the liquids with the sugar. I told her not to worry. All rights reserved. So while I was in the Hawkes Bay last month & at the most wonderful supermarket I have ever come across in NZ I picked up some wo Top tip with florentinesdont leave them out. Their caramelised notes breathe a deep sweetness into the soup. Sounds lovely.Gordon Ramsay also does a very nice spicy parsnip soup. A collection of vegetarian and vegan recipes for you this month. Peel and slice the red onion and add it to the tomatoes with a seasoning of salt and black pepper. Take care not to brown them. In a small bowl, mix together the honey, Worcestershire, soy and oyster sauces, then set aside. Add the spice paste and fry with the shallots for a couple of minutes, then add the stock, coconut milk and lime leaves. Remove the pastry from the oven. To make the mash, drain the beans and put them in a small pan, just covered with water. Slice away the peel and roots from a large celeriac to give 350g of flesh. Make the dressing: put the vinegar, lime juice, olive oil and soy in a mixing bowl. Sadly we have no recipe but Mum has been faithfully trying to replicate it and we now have a recipe cobbled together so watch this space as it will most definitely feature this Winter. A dish of roast onions, bronze, sweet and hot, is one of those side dishes I have taken to serving as a main course.