3. The name of Smyrna was equated with myrrh. We will become lifesavers, thrown to those who are drowning. Right now, I hate this woman. So, I got up the next morning before dawn and I took a walk. That is the doctrine or the view of annihilation of hell. Why would there be a need to be tested further? Consider this: when we are independent from Christ in our personal lives and in running our churches, we are forsaking and opposing Him. I tell you, the devil will put some of you in prison to test you, and you will suffer persecution for ten days. Not only was this bustling seaport considered a center of prosperity, but the city prided itself as a hub of intellect, art, religion, and athletic prowess. (Ephesians 1 is a good reminder of our riches in Christ.). I believe it exists. (NASB). Janene Keeth (nicknamed "Crickett") holds a M.A. We may not be worshipping Satan, but when we run the church by our ways and agendas, we are, in fact, worshipping Satan, because Christ is not only ignored, He is being opposed! Whatever it is, it is a hard season of life. How Are the End Times Described in 2 Timothy? We would go and sit in their homes. Judging from the characteristics of his appearance, Fuming gave him a very good impression now arctic diet pills Shuerjia can only keto fuel pills review form his first impression based on his appearance. There were a lot of gods and goddesses, in addition to the emperor worship. I want to begin by asking you a question. Even Jesuss greeting to the church reveals His loving, personal care. A third form of suffering for them was persecution in verse 9. One of the instructors of one particular lab was a well-known atheist there at the hospital. 4. Even though the people would throw them into prison, it says the devil is about to cast some of you into prison. He is the ultimate enemy and we need to be on guard. She went on and on and on about my faith in Jesus Christ. Whoever has ears, let them hear what the Spirit says to the churches. You will not worship the Roman emperor, then we will make you! There are two words used in the New Testament for poverty and one just kind of means poor. The church in Smyrna and the church in Laodicea stand in stark contrast to each other (Rev. It can be seen that Ephesus (Revelation 2:1-7), though a local church in the apostle's day, is typical of the first century as a whole; Smyrna (Revelation 2:8-11) characterizes the church under persecution, e.g. He just reminded them that what you have in Christ is far greater than anything on this earth materially that you will have. Copyright 2002-2023 Got Questions Ministries. Some people use this verse about dying the second death to uphold their view of the doctrine of annihilation. Because they did they were considered to be unpatriotic traitors: you do not love Rome. Thus they were tortured. What should you do? If so, pray for those who dont know Christ and dont have eternal security. While there, the Holy Spirit spoke to John and instructed him to record everything Jesus was about to reveal via a vision. Article Images Copyright 2023 Getty Images unless otherwise indicated. The promise Christ gives to overcomers in verse 11 is that they "shall not be hurt by the second death." The First and the Last The substance was used to make fragrant perfumes and anointing oils (Exodus 30:23) and was used in ancient burial preparations (John 19:39). Be on guard. The fragrance from Myrrh is only released from the sap through crushing. The local church still thrives there too. In verse 9 when He says, I know your tribulations. That word used here for tribulation literally means pressure. You are so in love with the Lord. . Mailing address: Kingdom Citizens, 1027 S Pendleton St Suite B-242 Easley, SC 29642, Kingdom Concepts: Understanding Religion Part 1, Kingdom Concepts: Understanding Religion Part 2, Past Tragedies In History While Seeking the Kingdom, The Contrasts Between a Kingdom and a Democracy, Christ's Message Was on His Kingdom, It's What He Preached, The Kingdom of God Versus The Government of Man, Understanding the Kingdom Concept of Territory, The Name Christian Is Neither God Sent Nor God Given, The Unshakable Kingdom and Unchanging Person, Everything That God Created Has Potential, Being Obedient, Is Much More Important Than Sacrifice, How Did We Lose the Gospel of the Kingdom? Well, the first type of suffering they were going through is pressure. But, we are going to experience suffering on this earth without doubt. The Church in its "Ephesian Period" having lost its "First Love," the Lord is now about to "chastise" it, so as to cause it to return to Him. The trade unions would have nothing to do with them. The ultimate reward is life. That is the kind of pressure, a suffocating pressure that they are under. . If I am trusting God then I should not be afraid. Trust me. I understand. He can walk right through it with them. They were dirt poor. If we are going to suffer well, the first thing we have to remember is that Jesus Christ is the ultimate victor. Judaism Smyrna is still a large seaport with the present population of about 275,000 people. But believers need not to fear death, because it will only result in their receiving a crown of life. Suffering either gives me my self or it destroys my self. Jude identifies characteristics of the advisory. Life is hard. Kingdom 103: Trusting in Mankind While Believing in God's Word? We need to be ready to stay firm and to stand and resist his attacks. 5. You know, I was just going to let her know and express that I am glad you are going to hell. Ask what you dare if you will let me. Ephesus is the first of the seven letters. The Bible tells us that. It is not mentioned anywhere else in the Bible other than these four verses, but it is believed it is with the other churches that were founded while Paul spent two years in Ephesus on his third missionary journey. He who overcomes is any believer, anyone who has placed his trust in Jesus Christ as his savior. Before they lit the fire, he prayed, Oh Lord, almighty God, I thank you for counting me worthy of sharing the cup of Christ among the number of your martyrs. This will give great comfort to this church because this was a church that was going to be persecuted. The 2 nd century Church bishop and . I believe it is something so horrible that it is hard to describe in words. No second-place prize existed. I would leave every night saying, God, why do I have to go to these events? because I did not feel like I was having a witness. They did not look at my life and go, wow, I love her life! They were looking at my life going, what a loser, you know, she cannot even get drunk. It was hard, but that still is not the kind of pressure that these Smyrna Christians went through. (8) Revelation 2:8 - "And to the angel of the church in Smyrna write: 'The words of the first and the last, who died and came to life. They had sufferings to overcome and learn from, but most chose to run the course their way and tarnish His Way. Today, we look at the letter to the church at Smyrna, a church known for suffering. Time and time again, wars, massacres, earthquakes, and plagues have threatened to destroy Smyrna, but the city has always bounced back and rebuilt. For example, the letter to Ephesus . Presumably, this church was founded during Pauls ministry in Ephesus (Acts 19:10).1, The Greek word translated Smyrna was used in the Septuagint (the Greek translation of the Old Testament) to translate the Hebrew word for myrrh, a resinous substance used as a perfume for the living (Matthew 2:11) and the dead (John 19:39). 6. Smyrna: The Suffering Church Revelation 2:8-11. She hated Christians. At first, the emperors did not want anything to do with it, but by the time Domitian became the Roman emperor, he made it mandatory that all citizens would worship the emperor or face death. What three things did Jesus mention that He was aware of concerning the church at Smyrna? He is like a lion prowling around looking for someone he could use. The term may also refer to anyone who sacrifices their life or something of great value for the sake of principle. (NASB). But, if we are not faithful, there is no outstretched hand, only missed opportunities and an infamy to a community, a life wasted, a church of dysfunction, and a crown of shame instead of a crown of life. It would protect them. Anyone who has said I cannot earn salvation on my own so I put my faith in the blood of Jesus Christ to pay the penalty for my sins. In verse nine, Jesus praises and affirms the church by recognizing their material poverty in contrast to their vast spiritual prosperity. 2. Christianity has never completely left this city. It reads, You will not in any way be hurt by the second death. As a believer, you do have eternal life and He is saying you may suffer the first death, you may die physically, but you will never die again. Look at the conversation between Jesus and the Jews in John 8:31-47. All rights reserved. Their enemies can only take their lives once. 4 Reasons Why We Have a Hard Time Talking about Loneliness. Death is that separation of the soul and the physical body. When we work our lives and church with our corrupt personal power we are in fact abandoning His power and Fruit. It is not a question of, will you suffer? The question is, how will you handle it when it comes?. The church at Smyrna was to undergo some intense persecution and tribulation. They might face death. Myrrh represents mortal death, and the title of the "suffering church" is often ascribed the . I have a picture of modern day Smyrna in contrast to Ephesus which, today, is a deserted ruin with no people. Explain your answer. Then, they would want to pray with us. Kingdom 103: What Gospel Are You Preaching? degrees -- one in Medical Technology and the other in Perfusion Technology. That should leave us to want to bring everyone we know to be with us in Heaven. We would be amazed at their love for God and just the depth of their walk with him. Throughout history, Smyrna has suffered its fair share of hardship. How would Jesus words in Luke 12:4-7 encourage someone about to suffer for his faith? Then, I got my purse and I drove home. In this same verse, Jesus offers great comfort to His church by assuring them that He is the God who sees, knows, and cares about their troubles. Another kind of pressure they were under was a pressure to worship the pagan gods and goddesses. Kingdom 103: Student or Disciple of the Kingdom? How then can I blaspheme my king and my savior? Well, they threatened to bring out live beasts and he said to bring them on. The ultimate enemy is Satan and that is pointed out in these verses. An aspect of maturity is being slow to respond to accusation-as our Lord did. In Revelation, the Apostle John records Jesuss address to seven churches in Asia Minor. Facing Life Successfully and Effectively Pt 1, Facing Life Successfully and Effectively Pt 2, The Power of Motive and Faith in God's Word, Your Faith in Jesus the Christ: the Work of God, Your Faith in Jesus the Christ: the Work of God Pt 2, The Challenges of Your Faith In God's Written Word, God Created Marriage as a Foundational Institution, Populating the Earth Wasn't the Primary Purpose of Marriage, Citizenship Pt 2--Becoming a Kingdom Citizen, Citizenship Pt 3-The Concept of Dual Citizenship, Citizenship Pt 4: The Invisible Citizenship, The Kingdom Versus the Government of Man Pt 2, The Birth of the Kingdom, The Spirit of Dominion, Ruling the Visible World From the Invisible Realm, We Were Born to Rule, But Not Over Each Other, Jesus' Assignment Was to Restore the Kingdom, The Kingdom--Preached In Word, Demonstrated In Power, Understanding Principles of Kingdom Culture, Understanding the Kingdom Concept of Culture Pt 1, Understanding the Kingdom Concept of Culture Pt 2, Understanding the Kingdom Concept of Culture Pt 3, Culture and Its Many Manifestations Part 1, Culture and Its Many Manifestations Part 2, Culture and Its Many Manifestations Part 3, Culture and Its Many Manifestations Part 4, The Kingdom: Social and Economic Differences, Kingdom Culture vs The Culture of Christianity, Change Is Inevitable When Obeying the King's Word, Faith in the Written Word and Hardship Pt 1, Faith In the Written Word and Hardship Pt 2, The Principles and Benefits of Purpose Pt 1, The Principles and Benefits of Purpose Pt 2, The Principles and Benefits of Purpose Pt 3, The Principles and Benefits of Purpose Pt 4, The Principles and Benefits of Purpose Pt 5, The Principles and Benefits of Purpose Pt 6, The Principles and Benefits of Purpose Pt 7, The Principles for the Nature of Your Purpose, The Lord Provides for His Purpose, Not for Our Plans Pt1, The Lord Provides for His Purpose, Not for Our Plans Pt 2, It's Imperative That One Knows Their Purpose, Your Purpose is Being Accomplished Through Christ. In fact, transactions in the world have never fruits and to lose belly been completely equal. 19:20; 20:10-15). That is according to I Corinthians 3:13-14 which talks about that approval, that standing before him, to be evaluated for our works. What do these verses imply about persecution and the believer? Some people believe that people who are unbelievers will go to hell for a period of time. There was no rebuke for this church and because they were faithful until death, their candlestick has never been removed. WEALTHY WITHOUT WEALTH In the church Ephesus, the Lords finds a decay of first love, in Smyrna, we see Him voiding Satan's malice to restore the former freshness. We are called to be faithful, even if it means death. We need to look beyond the pain and look for that purpose that He wants to accomplish in our life. So, I caught all kinds of grief, you know, comments made like: oh, you would fit well into grandmothers generation. You are really out of touch with reality today. Just cruel comments. In the center of the ancient city, Mount Pagos (modern name: Kadifekale) stood 500 ft. high and was encircled by a garland of architecturally impressive buildings and templeswhich was probably why the hill was known as The Crown of Smyrna.. When Jesus refers to the crown of life, is He referring to eternal life or to a reward for those who are faithful through tribulation on this earth? Pt 1, Kingdom 104: What Profit Has Righteousness in the Kingdom? Smyrna was a hotbed for pagan worship. Or they could have agreed to call Caesar Lord, knowing they could later repent. I had just started walking with the Lord that year before and I had gone on a beach project with Campus Crusade that summer. She would not teach me. Do not be afraid of what you are about to suffer. It was one of the chief cities of Roman-dominated Asia and competed with places such as Pergamos and Ephesus for the title "First City of Asia." 1.3 Orthodoxy. What was Jesus message to the church in Ephesus in Revelation? Verses 9 and 10 also go on to tell us a third thing we need to remember in order to suffer well. Faith banishes fear.6. What can you do to grow in this area and to glorify Him more fully? They were hated. The first death means when we physically die and then go into eternity for rewards and to wait for the resurrection and the everlasting life. The church at Smyrna was to undergo some intense persecution and tribulation. This second death means that those who fail to accept Christ will also be resurrected, only to die again in the "lake of fire." Ch 1 pt 3, Kingdom 104: Masculine-Minded Men of the Kingdom Government Pt 1, Kingdom 104: Masculine-Minded Men of the Kingdom Government Pt 2, Kingdom 104: The Benefits of Understanding the Simplicity of the Kingdom, Kingdom 104: The Benefits of Discernment, The Kingdom Is the Crux of the Problem Pt 1, The Kingdom Is the Crux of the Problem Pt 2. Also, death is mentioned three times in these four verses. Maybe someone you love is hurting. The Letters to the Seven Churches of Asia in Their Local Setting by Colin Hemer. In verse 11 he says, He who overcomes and again last week we talked about who the overcomer is. What does God want me to share with someone? . 5 Chambers, My Utmost for His Highest, June 25. Jesus had a reason for mentioning this fact. I will be the first to admit to you that I do not like to suffer. Pt 2, Kingdom 104: Christianity Misrepresents the Kingdom Pt 1, Kingdom 104: Christianity Misrepresents the Kingdom Pt 2, Kingdom 104: A Focused Representative of the Kingdom, Kingdom 104: Where Are the Masculine-Thinking Men? John is grabbing their attention by reminding them (and us) who Christ is and what He has done. Specific Messages to 7 Churches of Revelation Some of these seven churches kept closer to the gospel than others. Kingdom 102: Surrendering Our Heavenly Passport, Kingdom 102: A Break in Diplomatic Relations, Kingdom 102: We Are Prisoners In a Foreign Land, Kingdom 102: Understanding His Mission, Purpose and Who He Is, Kingdom 102: His Original Mission and Purpose, Kingdom 102: Developing a Kingdom Concept, Kingdom 102: Meditate on These Kingdom Principles, Kingdom 102: His Assignment, Preach the Kingdom, Kingdom 102: Preach and Teach the Gospel of the Kingdom, Kingdom 102: Representing the King: The Power of Our Position, Kingdom 102: Restoring the Kingdom and Its Mission Statement, Kingdom 102: The Kingdom Reintroduced Pt 1, Kingdom 102: The Kingdom Reintroduced Pt 2, Kingdom 102: God's Plan to Restore Our Place, Kingdom 102: Preparation for the Counselor (Holy Spirit), Kingdom 102: Preparing for the Indwelling, Kingdom 102: A New Order is Here, in the Last Stage, Kingdom 102: The New Order and Its Citizens, Kingdom 102: The Final Process: Becoming One With the Holy Spirit, Kingdom 102: The Kingdom is the Good News Pt 1, Kingdom 102: The Kingdom is the Good News Pt 2, Kingdom 103: The King's Viewpoint of Giving. He knows the suffering that you are going through. We would always leave and say, you know I want that kind of relationship with God! As a matter of fact, He promises us that if you are a believer, you will face suffering and you will have some persecution in your life (2 Tim. 1 John MacArthur, Jr., The MacArthur New Testament Commentary on Revelation 1-11 (Chicago: Moody Press, 1999), 69. When we refuse to heed His call, it will just be a short time until we are thrown away, given to the devil, since we are working for him anyway. The crown of victory belonged to the victor alone, and every other competitor was considered defeated. 5. They made up whatever they could and went to the government and they were persecuted. They were Jews by race and that is it. They already were in the midst of tribulation (v. 9) and Jesus had no rebuke or condemnation for them. How can you better realize the fact that our trials will be limited and temporary? Whether it is because of our faith or whether it is because He wants to deepen our faith, we will suffer. What was Jesus message to the church in Philadelphia in Revelation? It may seem like they are the enemy. We will throw you into prison until you do. Whether you interpret these ten days as referring to a literal 10 days (I take that view), or whether you interpret it as referring to just a brief period of time, or whether you interpret those 10 days as referring to 10 periods of persecution under 10 Roman emperors, the point being made is the same. Hand over those difficult and overwhelming situations to the One who knows and cares. How do you respond to suffering and tribulation? Revelation 20:14 and Revelation 21:8 tells us that the second death is the lake of fire and brimstone. You cant associated with us in these festivities to our gods. They had laid up for themselves treasures in Heaven,where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. (Matthew 6:20) No doubt, Jesuss commendation would have been a timely affirmation that their sacrifices had not been made in vainand that they should continue basking in the abundant life Jesus had purchased for them. I just thought, you have no idea.. She came in and I said, Good morning, how are you doing? 2. We can have confidence as believers that we will spend eternity with God and not face the second death. Well, they were under pressure from several forces. But we do experience our own pressures, suffering, and afflictions. 2. We know from historical records that the church at Smyrna persevered in its faithfulness. Life is not going so great. By surrendering our lives to our born-again existence, we join our Smyrnaean brethren as overcomers who wont be harmed in the second death, which is the final judgment of the wicked (Revelation 20:6, 20:14, 21:8) Jesus Christ paid for our sin on the cross at Calvary. She would totally ignore me. With the warning comes the exhortation that they should not succumb to fear. This was true of this church, all the seven churches, the church throughout the ages, and churches today. According to Revelation 1:11, on the Greek island of Patmos, Jesus Christ instructs John of Patmos to: "Write on a scroll what you see and send it to the seven Churches: to Ephesus, and to Smyrna, and to Pergamum, and to Thyatira, and to Sardis, and to Philadelphia, and to Laodicea." The churches in this context refers to the community or local congregations of Christians living . But, the second type they were dealing with was poverty. Absolutely nothing is hidden from our all-knowing, all-seeing God. If they sought praise from menif they wanted to please the people around themthey would not be so readily targeted for persecution. All rights reserved. It may seem as if people were the enemy, the Jews in the synagogue of Satan, or the government that wants you to worship its emperor. The ultimate reward is life. I do not think I can be like You. I went into that lab and got there before she did. in Christian Education with a focus on Women's Ministry from Dallas Theological Seminary. The purpose of this crown or crowns is not for you. And finally, Smyrna was the only congregation besides Philadelphia that did not receive admonishment from Jesus. How can I be changed, so I can learn and grow? They were reporting false allegations to the government about these believers, saying things which were not true about them. The pressure came with these students. It is believed that a man named Polycarp was the pastor of this church at Smyrna when this letter was written. What are some reasons God allows suffering in our lives? The first thing we have to remember if we are going to suffer well is that the ultimate victor is Jesus Christ. 1. Father, I just thank you for the privilege of knowing you personally. That is a way of worshipping Him, showing honor to Him. 2. Be encouraged as you study the message sent to this church. It was the loveliest of all the cities. How is it possible to not fear impending tribulation and suffering? They said you make light of that then we will burn you at the stake! The Jews who hated him gathered the wood for the fire. 3:17); it is impossible for a person to be in Smyrna, before the Lord, yet at the same time be in Laodicea, before the world. It was probably only 15 minutes, but it seemed like hours. 3 Stott, What Christ Thinks of the Church, 44. Laodicea lay in Phrygia's Lycus Valley, ten miles west of Colosse and six miles south of Hierapolis. What does it mean to be faithful until death? What caused them to turn out to be a church of bitterness and strife? I came back that fall and I was so on fire for the Lord. What can be done to invite Him further into your church? Why would this promise be especially encouraging for the church at Smyrna? How can the fact that Jesus knows us more intimately that we can imagine, and desires us to be in Him strengthen your faithfulness? As I said in your study this week that fear and trust are opposites. I know what it is like to face death at their hands. Some Jews, like the Sadducees, believed this was annihilation (John 5:28-29; Rev. Lets pray. I thought, okay we can pray about this. Pt 3. Yet, we tend to fill His call with the void of our stubbornness, recklessness, and selfishness. Why is it that when we seek to run "His" church "our" way, we embarrass and dishonor Him and His Way? I was with another student, another medical technology student, and I noticed that this lady had very little to do with me. If this was your church, what could be done to make sure it did not die but be revived to its formerly healthy and vibrant ways? The Church of Smyrna: The Church that Remains Faithful Amidst Persecution (Revelation 2:8-11) Summary and Explanation: Smyrna was home to a large Jewish community hostile to Christians. Nor will we suffer hardships like imprisonment for our faith, and very few of us will face the choice between our livelihood or a life with Christ. Their poverty was most likely due to their faith in Jesus Christ, just like the Christians in Ephesus that we talked about last week. Smyrna is the Greek word for myrrha sap-like substance extracted from tree bark. They cannot coexist. Jesus thus says in effect, you know what, I know what it is like to be persecuted by your enemies. 5. Third, at the end of Smyrnas letter, Jesus makes this promise to whoever has ears to hear: He who overcomes will not be hurt at all by the second death (Revelation 2:11, KJV). After introducing the first vision, John is commanded to write a letter to seven churches. How can such a church be turned around? What causes a Christian to become belligerent against Christ and a church to turn on one another, forsaking their call and duty? First, the letter is the shortest of the seven, at only 90 words. I was kind of scared. What season of life are you in today? Well, you know, God never promises us as a believer that life is going to always be fun. We need to really commit to pray. He knows exactly what you are going through. I went in and I just said, God I do not think I can do this. These actions would have given the believers could a measure of favor with the government and secured a much easier life. Slander damages our reputation. When we seek to do His church on our own, we turn it into a church of evil, as diametrically opposed to Christ, as Satan is opposed to Him. What was Jesus message to the church in Pergamum in Revelation? Jesus is upfront about the fact that we will experience trouble in this world, but He has also promised that His peace, grace, and abiding presence are our refuge during our trials (Matthew 28:20). These churches were seven real churches at the time, and some believe they represent seven church ages, while others argue they represent seven church types that have existed since the church began, and will exist until Christ returns. What two instructions did Jesus give them concerning the upcoming tribulation? My time came to rotate through that lab. As a result, the Smyrnaean believers lived in genuine poverty for their faith. 6. The one who is victorious will not be hurt at all by the second death. (Revelation 2:11). He wants to discourage us. So, I opened the door and walked through the lab. The trials that you are going to go through will be brief. Finally, one of the soldiers took his sword and he ended the life of this great martyr, Polycarp. They had no heart for God. released through Familius Publishing in 2020. 1. And He genuinely cares about what happens to His children. Olympian games were held in Smyrna. Why would this description of Christ be especially encouraging for this church? Finally, Jesus warns His people to expect more suffering, persecution, and testing. The members of the Smyrna church, though, are facing persecution because they are more focused on what God thinks than what man thinks. I had some coworkers in Dallas who used to joke about the parties they were going to have in hell. The third thing we need to remember is that the ultimate enemy is Satan. Most scholars agree that the name Smyrna was a reference to the myrrh, which was the chief export of the area. Be thou our vision. He will do anything to stop good things that God is doing. Jesus Christ is the eternal God. 3. He has always existed. Some were boiled alive in oil. Maybe someone in your family is causing you some grief. One source is they were under constant pressure from the government to worship the Roman emperor because, you see, the city of Smyrna was a strong ally of Rome. Be faithful, even to the point of death, and I will give you life as your victors crown.(Revelation 2:8-10). Some can endure physical sufferings under tribulation and poverty, yet few can . What did the future hold for the church at Smyrna and what would be the purpose? I lived in mainland China for four years and during those four years I studied the Chinese language of Mandarin. This approval will take place when we as believers will stand before the Judgment Seat of Christ and He will evaluate us for all the works that we have done on this earth. What is in the way of my listening to God? They were boycotted. More insights from your Bible study - Get Started with Logos Bible Software for Free! They were a synagogue of Satan because they were attacking the church. It is eternal torment. from A.D. c. 100-316; Pergamos (Revelation 2:12-17), 'where Satan dwells' is suggestive of the church mixing with the world . John addresses the Church in Smyrna. How is Jesus described in verse 8 and which attribute(s) of God does His description emphasize? They would be thrown into prison probably for the purpose of forcing them to worship the Roman emperor. Christ will use us in the plights of others as hands to grab on to and pull others up when they are sinking. Have I done something to offend you? Smyrna is the Greek word for myrrh, a flagrant perfume used in burial. If so, how is that evident in your life?