Where are they now? Please reset your password. . Robert Rafsky, a public relations executive and advocate for people with AIDS, who confronted Bill Clinton during the presidential campaign, died Saturday at New York Immediately to the left of the entrance in The 8 th Floor, VOICE = SURVIVAL begins with a series of videos, which include outspoken clips featuring Vito Russo, Bob Rafsky, David Wojnarowicz and Mykki Blanco that echo through the gallery space, creating a cacophony of voicesboth current and past. Silence is my cloak, it smothers When she was arrested on the ticket scheme, records show Danielle K. Bush was already on probation for another crime. ACT UP can never be repeated, exactly. On a one-to-one basis "he was enormously influential," said Peter Staley, a founding member of the group. Documentary. WebWe would like to show you a description here but the site wont allow us. Christopher Cotten, The highly influential O'Conner couldn't look worse in the film, with archival footage of him condemning the use of contraceptives on moral grounds at a time when AIDS was the leading cause of death for men under 40 in big cities. To speak about the once unspeakable can make the INVISIBLE familiar if repeated often enough in clear and loud tones (153). Alla 'Lucy' Rafsky Ruben, 92, of West Bloomfield, MI, passed away Sunday, April 19, in Michigan. Rupert Graves, 103 min $24.45M, R Emile Hirsch, Survivors include a sister, Phyllis A. Cox of Clinton. He was 47 and lived in Brooklyn. From 1971 to 1975, he served as president of the Maryland Conference of the American Association of University Professors. Peter Staley, She accompanied her husband to Africa and Europe on his government and journalism assignments. WebBob Rafskys daughter would be in her 30s now? Around 1987, he contracted AIDS. Include gps location with grave photos where possible. The family sug Whom can I choose?" Rafskys father is featured in the ACT UP documentary How to Survive a Plague . If you need to flag this entry as abusive. ACT UP's history is actually a part of America's story that most people don't know about, and by telling it, How to Survive a Plague provides a strategic template that any serious political activist should study. Nikolay Drozdov, Mail letters to PO Box 4910 Santa Fe, NM 87502 or email them to editor[at]sfreporter.com. | Gross: 127 min She worked for the Smithsonian Institution's National Museum of African Art and the anthropology department of its National Museum of Natural History during the 1980s. His marriage to Marilyn Strohecker ended in divorce. These tones come out loud and clear in VOICE = SURVIVAL, an exhibition at The 8th Floor, co-presented by Shelley & Donald Rubin Foundation and Visual AIDS (Full disclosure as if you dont know: I, and Osman Can Yerebakan, co-curated Visual AIDS 2015 exhibition. | LJ Roberts, Portrait of Deb (1988-199? . PG-13 But in the time he was out, he had faced some incredible issues. Sorry! "Mr. Staley, you have AIDS," begins the show's host. Most popular movies about the non-infectious disease. Video, Performed by Mykki Blanco, Directed by Adinah Dancyger, Text by Zoe Leonard (1992), Produced by Thomas Gorton for Dazed. | The films 2012 debut at Sundance, she says, | Try again later. Directors: Christopher Dillon Quinn, Tommy Walker | Stars: Panther Bior, John Bul Dau, Nicole Kidman, Daniel Abol Pach Votes: 2,865 | Gross: $0.28M 3. There may come a perfect moment between my parting being too brief and my suffering being too long. Please contact Find a Grave at [emailprotected] if you need help resetting your password. Along the way, Christopher encounters a series of characters that shape his life. Historians. | Gross: Rafsky To view a photo in more detail or edit captions for photos you added, click the photo to open the photo viewer. Benedict Wong, Votes: If you notice a problem with the translation, please send a message to [emailprotected] and include a link to the page and details about the problem. Save to an Ancestry Tree, a virtual cemetery, your clipboard for pasting or Print. He interrupted a midtown Manhattan appearance by Clinton last March 26 to demand specifics on the candidate's AIDS policies. But How to Survive a Plague is really all about its heroes. Hundreds, even thousands of people's video-recorded faces, taped at different times and places, swoosh and rush across the shaky screen non-stop throughout the course of the film. He was assistant commissioner and associate chief counsel in Washington, and he received the IRS Commissioner's Award. Documentary. Documentary, History, News. You are nearing the transfer limit for memorials managed by Find a Grave. Sara Rafsky is a writer and researcher who works at the intersection of journalism, press freedom, human rights and documentary film in the US and Latin America. Stars: "I'm between lovers right now, desperately trying to convince myself it's not my natural state. ACT UP's Stop the Church action at St. Patrick's Cathedral in 1989 remains shocking as portrayed here. Ethan Hawke, 14,622 Early in the film is a series of videotaped, mid-80's underground meetings of smiling people with AIDS, illegally sharing and distributing drugs that may keep them alive, then sharing their hopes with the camera. It's gripping footage. Inside The Human Body - takes us deep under our skin where we are dwarfed by even the smallest cell, where blood vessels becomevast cathedrals and the tiniest cluster of cilia becomes an expansive forest. 90 min T&D were an important link in ACT UP's second phase, advocating treatment and research, eventually employing an "inside/out" strategy of protesting but also communication directly with targets and key groups. | David France and team reportedly sorted though 700 hours of video, assembling the film almost entirely from footage shot by activist videographers, cable access show hosts, downtown independent filmmakers, or anyone who recorded these events as they happened (in days before cell phones and digital cameras, ACT UP and TAG members were savvy enough to to film themselves a lot). HELMS IS DEADLIER THAN A VIRUS.". Iris Long, You are only allowed to leave one flower per day for any given memorial. | Verify and try again. You may occasionally receive promotional content from the Los Angeles Times. Michael Schwarz, Helen Mirren, https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/122706991/robert-alan-rafsky. 337,611 Sigourney Weaver, Though visually exploring the voice, some of the text-based works in VOICE = SURVIVAL spoke so loudly that you could almost hear the voice of the artist behind the words. 115,217 In 1988 Staley quit his Wall Street job, closeted and HIV positive, after being handed a flyer by ACT UP. Frances McDormand, (renews at {{format_dollars}}{{start_price}}{{format_cents}}/month + tax). Uber offering horse drawn carriage rides in honor of royal coronation. | Rafsky, one of the members of the militant AIDS support group ACT UP, also was featured on 60 Minutes in November. Resend Activation Email, Please check the I'm not a robot checkbox, If you want to be a Photo Volunteer you must enter a ZIP Code or select your location on the map. Pegulas fight to heal and rehabilitate from a brain injury suffered after a cardiac arrest last June has been one that is long and largely private. $0.13M, Not Rated Words can strip power from a memory or an event, Wojnarowicz observes, Words can cut the ropes of experience. Try again later. Designed by: Free Joomla Themes, web hosting. Ulrich Tukur, Votes: Workshop, conferenze, dibattiti. Notable people with the surname include: Lawrence C. Rafsky, American data scientist, inventor, and entrepreneur; Robert Rafsky (19451993), American writer, Previously sponsored memorials or famous memorials will not have this option. The technique gives the film a surprisingly modern feel. Referring to the preservation of Bob Rafskys speech in her catalogue essay, Carrera writes, This multi-step process reflects a strong commitment by AIDS activists to preserve, historicize and disseminate voices that would otherwise be lost to us todayThe potential of a human voice like Rafskys to persist and circulate beyond absence or death relies on the continued stewardship of survivors (18). I had to take several deep breaths to stop laughing at the footage of Peter Staley on Crossfire, opposite Pat Buchanan (which quickly cuts from footage of protesters being nearly trampled by policemen on horses). | Gross: 4,252 He began telling friends he was gay. At Doc Society, she leads Safe + Secure, an initiative on mitigating risks faced by documentary filmmakers. 110 min Why is Frank McCourt really pushing it? 110 min | Documentary. I want a person with AIDS for president and I want a fag for vice president and I want someone with no health insurance). Stars: Director: You are also agreeing to our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy. Director: Luc Besson | Stars: Scarlett Johansson, Morgan Freeman, Choi Min-sik, Amr Waked. He also was a member of the Cosmos Club. Stars: Luc Besson This flower has been reported and will not be visible while under review. Donald Moffett, He Kills Me, 1987. | as Cardinal O'Conner tried to carry on the service. This account has been disabled. Mark Linfield She had osteoporosis. Kristen Wiig, Votes: It's sobering to hope that if a similar plague does occur in the future the inspiration behind a new group of people rising to stand together and fight might, once again, be fear. he shouts at a researcher in the small front office of Daiichi pharmaceuticals, handcuffed to other activists protesting their slow development of an anti-Kaposi's sarcoma drug. She met him the day before on the train. I love you, too. Progettiamoe sviluppiamo siti web e portali. In 1987, he and his wife, Babette, separated and began an amicable joint custody of their daughter, Sara. From its stark opening footage of people with AIDS in hospital beds, the film communicates the epidemic from those who braved its earliest days, relaying their accounts like battle stories. Family members linked to this person will appear here. Documentary, Biography, History, A documentary about Charles Darwin's struggle writing his theory of evolution, TV-14 | Survivors include his wife, Clara Knoop Portney of Potomac; three children from his first marriage, Pamela Phipps of Hydes, Md., Peter Portney of Boston and Dean Portney of Gaithersburg; and four grandchildren. Horror, Sci-Fi. Glenn Youngkin rules out presidential campaign while in California, 7 bodies found during search for missing Oklahoma teens, US to lift most federal COVID-19 vaccine mandates next week, Multiple fatalities on Illinois highway during a blinding windstorm. Quickly see who the memorial is for and when they lived and died and where they are buried. | Here, this means text-based works including Donald Moffetts critical representation of Ronald Reagan, reading He Kills Me, and Chloe Dzubilos drawing, which announces DONT CALL ME CRAZY to make your position less insane, which not only takes on the patriarchy, but also feels wholly relevant in our era of trolling. You have permission to edit this article. It makes things even more immediate when you're fighting hate, bigotry and government inaction, which is what ACT UP fought (and later, so did its offshoot, TAG) in the 1980s and early '90s as it shouted, marched and sat-in for AIDS research and gay rights. Call the Midwife (2012 ) TV-PG | 60 min | Drama, History 8.6 Rate Menu. or don't show this againI am good at figuring things out. Benedict Wong, Votes: Its exhausting to witness as a writer, let alone to participate in as an artist. ), which features a staggering collection of embroidered activist buttons from the collection of their friends ex-partner. The public spat made 13,712 In addition to his daughter, of Brooklyn, N.Y., his survivors include his parents, William and Selma of Philadelphia, and a brother, Lawrence of Livingston, N.J. Bob Rafsky was sick and tired when he bought a ticket to a Bill Clinton fundraiser in the spring of 1992 sick with AIDS and tired of government inaction in the And there are so many silences to be broken (44). Rafsky wrote personal essays about AIDS for The New York Times, The Village Voice, New York Daily News, OutWeek, and QW. He was writing a book comprising letters to his daughter at the time of his death. [2] He was married to Babette Krolik and had a daughter named Sara. Flowers added to the memorial appear on the bottom of the memorial or here on the Flowers tab. Mrs. Udelson, who had lived in the Washington area since 1949, was born in Newark, N.J., and raised in Manhattan. Core ACT UP member Bob Rafsky also features well, giving the documentary some of its most touching moments, but mostly explosive soundbites. Beginning at the start of the HIV/AIDS epidemic in New York City, the documentary follows a group of AIDS activists and founders of the AIDS Larry Kramer, That year, members of TAG wrapped a giant inflatable condom over Helms' Arlington, VA home, with the words on it, "A CONDOM TO STOP UNSAFE POLITICS. Like any good documentary about a story, How to Survive a Plague has its villains. | Use Next and Previous buttons to navigate, or jump to a slide with the slide dots. Please complete the captcha to let us know you are a real person. In one of the meeting scenes, ACT UP founder Larry Kramer dramatically climaxes the film, lashing out at members of the group arguing on the floor in a spine-chilling verbal diatribe that invokes the film's title. ), detail, 2012-13 (Courtesy of the artist), Silence is my shield, it crushes. I urge everyone to see it. 17,384 WE'RE IN THE MIDDLE OF A FUCKING PLAGUE! She See full summary, Director: Reed Birney, | Use the links under See more to quickly search for other people with the same last name in the same cemetery, city, county, etc. For me and the thousands of others who participated in AIDS activism during this time, the captured moments in How to Survive a Plague are reminders of the importance of what everyone participated in and fought for, but are also attached to personal memories. It's worth seeing, and it will leave a lump in your throat.Directed by David France / With Peter Staley, Bob Rafsky and Larry Kramer / CCA Cinematheque / NR / 109 min. Jennifer Jason Leigh, A native and resident of Washington, she was in California on both business and vacation when she was stricken. Arnella Roma Flynn was the free-spirited youngest daughter of Errol Flynn, consummate Hollywood star and libertine of the 1930s. According to news footage in the film, at the time of ACT UP's famous FDA action in 1988 (when activists tried to clobber a reaction out of the FDA on their slow drug approval process) only 1/3 of Americans felt sympathy for gays who had contracted HIV. Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email. While unsurprisingly filled with copious video and audio, VOICE = SURVIVAL expands the definition of voice to also include metaphorical representations of vocality. How one survives a plague (according to How to Survive a Plague) is to go on the offensive, relentlessly, until you get what you want (or really, deserve). And when that day comeswhen that day has come and gone, therell be people alive on this earthgay and straight people, men and women, black and white, who will hear the story that once there was a terrible disease in this country and all over the world, and that a brave group of people stood up and fought and, in some cases, gave their lives, so that other people might live and be free.) also expose the reality that while many of these artists and activists are no longer with us, their voices are anything but silent. While some of the materials in the show may be familiar to viewers including Gran Furys posters Read My Lips, a sly combination of the first President Bushs slogan Read My Lips: No New Taxes with vintage representations of same-sex desire, the shows take on AIDS activist histories feels fresh, turning the volume up on a topic that has been recently frequently revisited by institutions. You can customize the cemeteries you volunteer for by selecting or deselecting below. 89 min Mr. Rafsky was a senior vice president of Howard J. Rubenstein & Associates, the New York City public relations firm, from 1982 to 1989. He left to devote full time to helping Act Up, the AIDS Coalition to Unleash Power, become the nation's most prominent AIDS protest group. Documentary, Michael Pollan, a professor of journalism and a student of food, presents the history of four plants, each of which found a way to make itself essential to humans, thus ensuring widespread See full summary, Directors: Louie Schwartzberg Its no mistake that oral history has emerged as a means of recording the histories of HIV/AIDS activism as seen in the ACT UP Oral History Project. In 1987, he and his wife, Babette, separated and began an amicable joint custody of their daughter, Sara. | Sara Rafsky with her dad, Bob, 1987. Movies. How one survives a plague (according to How to Survive a Plague) is to go on the offensive, relentlessly, until you get what you want (or really, deserve). Benno Frmann, | While co-presented by Visual AIDS, VOICE = SURVIVAL doesnt just fixate on HIV/AIDS, but on activism more widely, bringing in earlier works by figures like Audre Lorde and Pat Parker to expand the shows critical scope. The last third of the film follows their trails and tribulations. Stars: Rafsky has written about culture and politics as a freelance journalist in New York, South America and Southeast Asia. My silences had not protected me. ", Michelangelo Signorile, a columnist for the Advocate, said Mr. Rafsky "was responsible for Clinton making a whole lot of promises on AIDS to the gay community.". Add to your scrapbook. Are you coming to my funeral?!". 81 min ACT UP; Spring AIDS Action 88 (Courtesy of Avram Finkelstein). William Dieterle | Every summer theres a gallery that finds an occasion to launch a cat show, and this season is no different. | | Gross: Horror, Thriller. If anything comes out of How to Survive a Plague, I hope it's inspiration to younger generations. I hope she knows her dad is a damn hero. Amr Waked, Votes: If you are experiencing difficulties logging in or are a subscriber getting a paywall, please try one or more of the following steps. All photos uploaded successfully, click on the Done button to see the photos in the gallery. He worked for the Pennsylvania Department of Community Affairs, then became director of public affairs for the United States Conference of Mayors in Washington, D.C. Read more at loopia.com/loopiadns . Our full-featured web hosting packages include everything you need to get started with your website, email, blog and online store. (Courtesy of the artists and Dazed). Stars: This account already exists, but the email address still needs to be confirmed. Mr. Portney was a member of the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants. She had diabetes. I remember watching news footage of this event in my living room in Texas, along with my disapproving family in 1989 (months later I would move to NYC). 148 min Matt Damon, 116,413 Are you the owner of the domain and want to get started? The evening concluded with a panel that included Joiner; Abbott; Housing Works Policy Director Reed Vreeland; Sara Rafsky, daughter of Bob Rafsky, the founder Stefan Ruzowitzky He died of AIDS-related complications on February 21, 1993, at the New York University Medical Center. Failed to delete memorial. Documentary. Adventure, Drama, Horror. Installation view of VOICE = SURVIVAL at The 8th Floor (Courtesy of the artists and The 8th Floor, New York). By entering your email and clicking Sign Up, you're agreeing to let us send you customized marketing messages about us and our advertising partners. $32.73M, Not Rated There are no volunteers for this cemetery. Gordon Buchanan, 86 min WebBob Rafsky, Self: 60 Minutes. Breaking silence about an experience can break the codes of the code of silence.