"A million ways to die in the west" is a movie that suffers from four major problems, all of them closely connected. Seth MacFarlane stars in and directs the Western comedy. All Rights Reserved. Dumped by his longtime sweetheart Louise (Amanda Seyfried), Albert is about ready to leave town when he meets Anna (Charlize Theron), a newcomer who appreciates his gentle personality in a way locals dont. Cinemablend is part of Future US Inc, an international media group and leading digital publisher. (Just as well, perhaps, as the screenplay is about to run out of ways to poke fun at the fact that Alberts buddy Edward is a virgin in a chaste relationship with Ruth, the towns busiest whore.) "And I thought, 'No, they're not going to shoot this. I can't tell you if C.Theron and L.Neeson are in there. Doug Naylor, who co-created the original series, recalled being in a room of writers from The Simpsons and Cheers, and being berated for wanting to work on character construction rather than coming up with gags. | "The more serious I was, the funnier I was," the actor explained. Louise attempts to win back Albert, but he rejects her and instead happily enters into a relationship with Anna, who becomes his new girlfriend. "[64], Learn how and when to remove this template message, Tinker Bell and the Legend of the NeverBeast, International Film Music Critics Association Award, "Box-Office Preview: 'Maleficent' Set to Curse 'Million Ways to Die in the West', "A Million Ways to Die in the West (2014)", "Rex Linn Joins Seth MacFarlane's 'A Million Ways to Die in the West', "Liam Neeson & Giovanni Ribisi Join 'A Million Ways to Die in the West', "Neil Patrick Harris taps 'stache of talent in 'Million Ways to Die'", "Wes Studi to Be Second American Indian Inducted into 'Hall of Great Western Performers', "ELLE reviews A Million Ways to Die in the West", "SethMacFarlane: Great day of filming with the hilarious Gilbert Gottfried @RealGilbert on #AMillionWays", "Universal Shows Off Fifty Shades of Grey, Lucy, A Million Ways to Die in the West and More at CinemaCon", "@billmaher brought the laughs today in A Million Ways To Die In The West", "Seth MacFarlane on 'Million Ways to Die' and Taking Projects That 'Terrify' Him", "A Million Ways to Die in the West Biographies", "Seth MacFarlane Finds A Million Ways to Die in the West", "Charlize Theron Eyes A Million Ways to Die in the West", "Charlize Theron 'begged' for a part in comedy western 'A Million Ways To Die In The West', "Amanda Seyfried Finds A Million Ways to Die in the West", "Giovanni Ribisi and Liam Neeson Find A Million Ways to Die in the West", "Liam Neeson admits he blushed reading 'A Million Ways to Die in the West' script", "Sarah Silverman Eyes A Million Ways to Die in the West", "Universal and MRC Board Seth MacFarlane's A Million Ways to Die in the West", "Neil Patrick Harris Joins Seth MacFarlane's A Million Ways to Die in the West", "On The Set For 5/13/13: Melissa McCarthy Co-Directing 'Tammy' For New Line Cinema'Low Down,' Ghosts of the Pacific', "The New Mexico Film Office Announces "A MILLION WAYS TO DIE IN THE WEST" to film in New Mexico", "Filming A Million Ways to Die in the West. When she shoots, short cuts to the gallery show 10 targets, but 12 shots are heard and Anna wins the prize for perfect score. I was expecting something at least sorta funny and entertaining. Albert's (played by Seth MacFarlane) rants in the first 30 minutes of the movie were not funny, as he so desperately tried to make them. Surface . Set in 1882 in the American west, Albert is a lowly farmer with a nice girlfriend. Quickie Review: After the massive success of Ted, director Seth MacFarlane returns to make another comedy feature film, in which he is also the star. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. And trust me, that one star was given grudgingly.If nothing else, this picture clearly shows how far down the ladder of creativity movie making has fallen. It was noticeably forced and obscenely crude, which is nothing new for Seth, but it was crude in a very childish way. They won't be able to see your review if you only submit your rating. He can't direct action, or even handle scenery well. Equally, he could have taken Liam Neeson's ruthless, lugubrious villain and subverted the concept, making him a complete coward or someone who is misunderstood. WARNING: The rest of this article contains minor spoilers for A Million Ways To Die In The West. WARNING: The rest of this article contains minor spoilers for A Million Ways To Die In The West. And while a lot of the comedy is funny, the jokes are often taken too far or spoiled by some random bit of nonsense. But alas what I got an overly gross, less than childish, stupid movie that hardly had any chuckles and no real laughs to me. "[53] "While the whole thing feels weirdly miscalculated to me, A Million Ways to Die in the West tweaks the formula just enough, delivers a few laughs and keeps the guest stars coming," wrote Salon columnist Andrew O'Hehir. Though the film is hardly laugh-free, its uneven jokes appear to have breezed through a very forgiving editing process. [45], A Million Ways to Die in the West was released via DVD and Blu-ray on October 7, 2014. I thought Charlize Theron and Liam Neeson were fine with a lousy script and a cameo by an actor from a classic comedy was excellent but not much else worked for me. There is no better example of this than the all-too lengthy scene involving Neil Patrick Harris getting the runs during the gunfight. Vulgar -- yes, but just not funny. Alexandra Daddario Gets Real About Being A Little Bit Of A Mess And The Importance Of Self-Care. A Million Ways to Die in the West (2014) Full Cast & Crew See agents for this cast & crew on IMDbPro Directed by Seth MacFarlane Writing Credits Cast (in credits order) complete, awaiting verification Produced by Music by Joel McNeely Cinematography by Michael Barrett . Unrated, 2014 R Comedy Western. "[56] Michael O'Sullivan at The Washington Post was mixed, deeming the film a "broad, wildly hit-or-miss satire," remarking that he found few of the jokes in the film funny. The central idea of A Million Ways isn't exactly a bad one. And they must have because here is plainly the result. NJ native who calls LA home and lives in a Dreamatorium. IE 11 is not supported. Mostly, it is brimming with bad toilet humor, uninspiring acting, boring and unimaginative storytelling. In closing, save your money for a movie you may actually enjoy. Future US, Inc. Full 7th Floor, 130 West 42nd Street, So what is the future for this deleted scene? the Terms and Policies, and to receive email from Rotten Tomatoes. This version also has even more footage in deleted scenes, and an alternate beginning and ending. It's a tale of the good, the bad and the funny in Liam Neeson's new comedy, "A Million Ways to Die in the West." [11], Principal photography began on May 6, 2013. Dolby Digital, Datasat, New on DVD & Blu-Ray: Edge of Tomorrow, Million Dollar Arm, and More, Now Streaming: Live Die Repeat: Edge of Tomorrow, A Million Ways to Die in the West, and More, RT25: Celebrating 25 years of Rotten Tomatoes. But they did. There are so many gags being thrown at you that some are bound to stick in a disposable way, and for newcomers to the comedy western sub-genre, there are worse places in which one could start (Wagons East, for example). And I blushed quite a few times too," Neeson admitted. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Lewis and Anna arrive in Old Stump under the guise of two siblings intending to build a farm, but Lewis is arrested after shooting the pastor's son in a saloon fight. By continuing, you agree to the Privacy Policy and A Million Ways to Die in the West is a 2014 novelization by Seth MacFarlane based on the film of the same name, written by MacFarlane, Alec Sulkin, and Wellesley Wild . "He just came to say hello and I was like, Do you want to be in our movie?" Theron said. Marvel Movies Ranked Worst to Best by Tomatometer, Jurassic Park Movies Ranked By Tomatometer, RT25: Celebrating 25 Years of Rotten Tomatoes, Fatal Attraction Series Stars Joshua Jackson and Lizzy Caplan on the Sexy, Unsettling Psychological Thriller, Prime Video Acquires J.J. Abrams and Matt Reeves Batman: Caped Crusader and 2 More Animated Projects, While it offers a few laughs and boasts a talented cast, Seth MacFarlane's overlong, aimless A Million Ways to Die in the West is a disappointingly scattershot affair. it seemed like they took a little "Family Guy" humor, their take on "Blazing Saddles", and threw in parts of Sarah Silverman's act and mix them all up with modern references and some off color humor and you have the film I saw tonight. He can't set up a visual joke properly without resorting to head-butting and bone-crunching, and he doesn't know how, or when, to move his camera. (1955), The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (1962), and El Dorado (1966). As the story goes, the Scottish star was in the neighborhood during the production of MacFarlanes movie, starring in Gavin OConnors Jane Got A Gun. Not so romantic? Meanwhile, infamous outlaw Clinch Leatherwood shoots and kills an old prospector over a single gold nugget. Here are your picks for the Best of the Capital Region 2023 "[52] Stephen Holden's review in The New York Times was mainly neutral, calling the film "a live-action spinoff of Family Guy, with different characters. Scott Stuber, Seth MacFarlane as writer, director, producer and so-called actor of this unfunny, boring mess has proved with this one undertaking that he is a quadruple waste of time. Seth MacFarlane directs, produces, co-writes and plays the role of the cowardly sheep farmer Albert in A Million Ways to Die in the West. [17] Tippett Studio was hired to work on the film's visual effects. "[55], Scott Mendelson of Forbes commended MacFarlane's decision to make an unconventional western comedy, but summarized the film as "just ambitious enough for that to be genuinely disappointing. Producers: Jason Clark, Seth MacFarlane, Scott Stuber The Man Of Steel Improv Choice That Led To Martian Manhunter In The SnyderVerse, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisels Michael Zegen Reveals The Unexpected Way He Learned About Joels Fate, How Wolf Entertainment's New Cop Drama Will Be Fundamentally Different From Chicago P.D. have made him as successful as the creators of The Simpsons, earning him millions of fans and an equal number of critics, both professional and public. Subscribe for full access to The Hollywood Reporter. Bluegrass Films. His writing is mediocre, always low-balling it when a person in his position should be taking risks. Wherever you stand on Macfarlane's televisual endeavours, translating from one medium to another is notoriously difficult. The image is an example of a ticket confirmation email that AMC sent you when you purchased your ticket. Albert, who has decided that Louise is not worth fighting for, forfeits anyway. Regal Albert loses, but Anna steps in and defeats Foy. Development for A Million Ways to Die in the West began while MacFarlane and co-writers Sulkin and Wild were watching western movies during the development of Ted. The American West is a horrible place in time, where anything can kill you as you try to protect your sheep from wolves and other . Among People's Choice Nominees, Plus Find Out Who's Hosting! See production, box office & company info. May 30, 2014 How this film ever got made is beyond me. This is supposed to be a comedy. I'm dumbfounded at the positive reviews that it has received. Not so romantic? If his manner of speaking seems out of place in this film, that's not the only thing. Director Seth MacFarlane Writers Seth MacFarlane Alec Sulkin Wellesley Wild Stars Seth MacFarlane Charlize Theron Liam Neeson A pistol-packing woman (Charlize Theron) helps a cowardly farmer (Seth MacFarlane) find his inner courage, but when her outlaw husband (Liam Neeson) rides into town seeking revenge, the farmer must put his newfound bravery to the test. He retires to the saloon, but Clinch arrives and reveals that Anna is his wife, threatening to kill more people unless his wife's lover duels him the next day. On the day of the duel, Foy arrives late and gets diarrhea from the laxative he had unknowingly drunk. I am a fan of Seth Macfarlane's TV shows, movies and stand up work but this has to be the worst comedy since The Love Guru. This was one of the worst movies I have seen in years. [48] Audiences surveyed by CinemaScore gave the film an average grade of "B" on an A+ to F scale; opening weekend demographics were 55% male and 72% over 25 years of age. Even if Macfarlane's ambitions didn't extend to a full-on reworking of Thomas Hobbes, he could have taken this central idea further. There were only a very few scenes that may be considered funny. All I can say is--if this is considered a successful or even an entertaining movie, then what is this country coming to? Seth Macfarlane has rapidly become of the most divisive comedians of the modern era. | In a rare display of nerve, Albert challenges Foy to a duel; as Anna offers him the gunslinger lessons that will inevitably lead to love, the films supporting cast all but vanishes from the film. He stopped by the Million Ways To Die In The West set just to make an appearance, and it was then that Theron decided to offer him a part. Jason Clark, Writer: Terrible film, so easy to make me laugh with good jokes, i am a very positive person who always see the full part of the glass, but this movie is just too bad, awful. A decade-plus CinemaBlend veteran who is endlessly enthusiastic about the career hes dreamt of since seventh grade. A Million Ways to Die in the West: Official Clip - He Drank the Whole Bowl! In the last scene theyre riding into this Mexican village and shes like, Why Mexico? and hes like, Because no one will know of my shame. As a cowardly farmer begins to fall for the mysterious new woman in town, he must put his newly found courage to the test when her husband, a notorious gun-slinger, announces his arrival. This wasn't it. Western, Original Language: Trailer Mimicking Filmmakers Style Divides Social Media, Italys Far East Film Festival: Malaysian Drama Abang Adik Sweeps Top Prizes, Matthew Lawrence Says an Agency Fired Him After He Refused to Take Off His Clothes for an Award-Winning Director, CinemaCon Takeaways: Ryan Goslings Barbie Ken-ergy, Wicked Wows and The Flash Frenzy, Netflix Lands Adam McKay Movie Starring Robert Pattinson, Amy Adams, Hollywood Flashback: In 1987, Fatal Attraction Would Not Be Ignored, Channel Your Inner Queen Charlotte with This Star-Loved British Brands Exclusive Skincare Kit, Naomi Watts Just Wore These Under-$100 PJs from Two Star-Loved Brands And Theyre the Perfect Mothers Day Gift for Stylish Travelers, The Best Signet Rings for Adding a Red Carpet-Ready Touch to Your Jewelry Stack, The Best Gifts New Moms Really Want, From Cozy Robes to Virtual Escapes, James Gunns Guardians: How Chris Pratt and His Marvel Castmates Rescued Their Directors Career, The Whispers Behind NBCUniversals Jeff Shell Firing, Diane Keaton: Youre Gonna Pray to Get Off This Call, The Definitive Voice of Entertainment News. [57] "Spiritually, it's closer to a mid-range crowd-pleaser such as City Slickers than Blazing Saddles, too enamoured of genre convention to reach for the comic dynamite," wrote Mike McCahill at The Guardian. The adult sexual humor was so sophomoric that I'm sure only those under 12 thought it was funny. It was released as a single on April 29, 2014. [43] In its third weekend, the film dropped to number eight, grossing $3.2 million. MacFarlane's take on the Western is considerably tamer than that of earlier smart-aleck postmodernists. My husband walked out of the room. While Neeson is largely boring, pitching it somewhere between Taken and Seraphim Falls, Theron is a lot more appealing and almost manages to make her role convincing in its own right. Somebody should build a wall.". They won't be allowed to get away with this!' [48][49] Review aggregation website Rotten Tomatoes gave the film a 33% rating based on 211 reviews, with an average score of 4.90/10. I never liked westerns. [19] On February 11, it was announced Amanda Seyfried had joined the film. If you havent seen the movie yet, please read on at your own risk. Alright, so"), but found that McGregor and his grown facial hair fit right in with the townspeople of Old Stump. The great comedy westerns of old, like Blazing Saddles, soared because their stories and characters worked on their own merits without them having to constantly try and be funny. A Million Ways to Die in the West: Official Clip - That's a Dollar Bill! Much of it had something to do with farting or diarrhea, not an adult topic in my opinion. If you havent seen the film, read on at your own risk! The thing that made me chuckle the most was the "runaway slave" shooting gallery because it WAS funny and audacious to put in a movie. "It's quite romantic," Neeson said of his character's name during a visit to TODAY Monday. What are the differences between the Theatrical Version and the Extended Cut. When a mysterious and beautiful woman rides into town, she helps him find his courage and they begin to fall in love. A Million Ways to Die in the West, review - Seth MacFarlane's first novel The highest-paid TV writer in history has written a weird western that had Harry Ritchie ploughing through brothel. [36] The film was produced by Media Rights Capital, Fuzzy Door Productions, and Bluegrass Films and distributed by Universal Pictures. The pile of garbage this unfunny crock of bullpucky truly is. If a majority of the people dislike something but you like it, guess what, that's ok! Read full review 58 Alonso Duralde May 28, 2014 By the time you get home, though, you can barely remember the jokes. After backing out of a duel and losing his girlfriend, sheep farmer Albert slowly rebuilds his self-respect with the help of a married woman. What is the Japanese language plot outline for A Million Ways to Die in the West (2014)? Heres how it works. The characters were stereotypical and flat and the acting was poor at best. New York, Simon Pegg, Pom Klementieff And More Reach Out As Christopher McQuarrie Gets Mission: Impossible 7 In The Can 3 Years (And Millions Of Extra Dollars) Later, Steve Harvey Calls Out T.J. Holmes When Reflecting On Miss Universe Fiasco, Pinpoints Where He Went Wrong, Peter Pan & Wendys David Lowery Shares The One Popular Character Choice He Chose Not To Include, Gotham Knights Misha Collins Teases Two-Face And Explains How A Dream He Had Impacted Harvey Dents Story, Halle Baileys Ariel Doll Is Already A Huge Bestseller, And Its A Huge Sign The Backlash Didnt Win, Prince Harry Apparently Won't Be Spending Much Time At Father King Charles' Coronation, Zack Snyder Pushes Back On The Idea That His Superman Was Angry, And Explains His True Goal With DCs Man Of Steel, Emma Watson Gets Candid About Stepping Away From Acting After Harry Potter, Little Women: I Wasnt Very Happy, Yes, Robert Pattinsons Batmobile Designers Busted Out The Pink Paint For Barbie Immediately After Wrapping On The DC Film, Khlo Kardashian Rocked Side Butt Cutouts After Sister Kim Surprised Her With A Trip To See Usher, The Key Advice Modern Family's Sarah Hyland Would Go Back And Give Herself During First Season. Even a 1 star rating will not do, for all the other actors who appeared in it, why did you even consider THIS script? Starring: Seth MacFarlane,Charlize Theron,Liam Neeson. There was nothing original about this and was made for the LCD. Company Credits Fails to mine a ripe genre. It's Me, Margaret. This was a 12 year old boy's bathroom idea of adult humor obsessive scatological humor, rude sex jokes with absolutely no subtlety at all, swearing just for its shock value, blood and gore with no purpose, racist jokes, gay jokes, sexist jokes. It's very tempting to treat any film project as merely an excuse to get in more of the same material, or to allow the jokes to run on for longer than a 20-minute episode would usually permit. By opting to have your ticket verified for this movie, you are allowing us to check the email address associated with your Rotten Tomatoes account against an email address associated with a Fandango ticket purchase for the same movie. "A Million Ways to Die in the West" which also stars Neil Patrick Harris, Sarah Silverman and Giovanni Ribisi opens May 30. Trust me, you'd have a better time sitting out in a puddle playing in the mud than you'd have in this dirt- poor excuse for a movie. Oct 7, 2014, Box Office (Gross USA): [16] Other westerns that inspired MacFarlane and the crew during writing included Oklahoma! People Really Don't Know How Opinions Work, Poorly Acted, Poorly Written, Not Very Funny. In spite of all this, it would be wrong to describe A Million Ways as an abject failure. What Does Bruce Campbell Think About A Crossover? So he agreed.". A.I. Lets just get a laugh here where it would normally play as a straight moment.". ", "IFMCA: the International Film Music Critics Association IFMCA Winners 2014", "RAZZIES Celebrate 35 Years of Worst Achievements in Film with Inclusive Nominee List and New "Redeemer" Award", https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=A_Million_Ways_to_Die_in_the_West&oldid=1151982839, "If Youve Only Got a Moustache" (composed by, Christopher Hagen as George Stark, Albert's abusive father, Dylan Kenin as Pastor's Son, who is killed by Lewis in the bar, This page was last edited on 27 April 2023, at 12:48. Taken abstractly, there is no way in hell that Anna would end up with Albert, and shaping him as the lesser of two evils over Clinch is not only stupid, it's downright misogynistic. What may surprise you, however, is that one of the funniest in the film was neither in the script nor Seth MacFarlanes idea. Your Ticket Confirmation # is located under the header in your email that reads "Your Ticket Reservation Details". I detest Family Guy, I categorically refuse to see Ted and as a whole I'm not a fan of Seth MacFarlane. Queen Charlotte: A Bridgerton Story: Season 1, Link to Marvel Movies Ranked Worst to Best by Tomatometer, Link to RT25: Celebrating 25 Years of Rotten Tomatoes, Link to Prime Video Acquires J.J. Abrams and Matt Reeves, While it offers a few laughs and boasts a talented cast, Seth MacFarlane's overlong, aimless, R (Language Throughout|Drug Material|Some Violence|Strong Crude & Sexual Content), Comedy, Willie Nelson Turns 90: Keith Richards Joins Hollywood Bowl Bash, Shonda Rhimes, Queen Charlotte Cast on Telling an Empowering Story in Bridgerton Spinoff, Emmy-Winning Series 100 Foot Wave Returns Heres When to Soak Up Season 2 Online, Penske Media Corporation Launches The Hollywood Reporter Roma With Brainstore Media, MIPTV: 'Django,' 'Suspiria' to Get Series Remakes, Canada's Cineplex Sees Second Quarter Earnings Fall on Weaker Film Slate, Wes Anderson Directing Star Wars? The only thing worse than a bad sequel to Mel Brooks's BLAZING SADDLES is You guessed correctly This movie. Overall, the cast was great and I love cameos from stars you wouldn't expect to see, but this movie could have been A LOT better. published 3 June 2014 Seth MacFarlane's new comedy A Million Ways To Die In The West doesn't really feature much of a conclusion for the characters played by Neil Patrick Harris and Amanda. 1h 55m, Distributor: There is an unrated, Extended Cut available, approximately 20 minutes longer. For some, he is a witty, ingenious writer and performer with a gift for puncturing egos; for others, he is nasty, derivative, mean-spirited and crass, whose work lacks the narrative coherency of his betters.