1.450 in. Associated taxes and fees will be the responsibility of the winner. The Special case was lengthened from .97 inch to 1.16 inches and originally loaded with black powder, receiving 3 grains more than the Russian cartridge for a boost in velocity. Balloonhead cases, such as these from Peters, U.M.C. Does this mean a description of me as a fumble-fingered knuckle-draggin' baboon. Is there a place to go for load data for 44 Special loads. Medium-burn-rate powders, such as Alliant Power Pistol, Unique, Hodgdon CFE Pistol, Winchester AutoComp and Accurate No. We use cookies to make your experience better. Ruger's multi-role small frame autoloading rifle - Sear - combines AR-10 power with AR-15 Portability. First, not all guns are of equal strength - some will handle significantly greater pressures, while others cannot. The fun is in the fact that I can use one powder, Unique. Other popular revolvers in Category 3 include the Ruger New Model Blackhawk, USFA SAA-pattern guns manufactured after 2001 and Freedom Arms Model 97. Either 17.0 grains of #4227 or 8.5 grains of Unique will give right around 1,000 fps. The .44 Special was introduced in about 1907 and is an extremely accurate cartridge. Cast bullets work well in the .44 Special, including the original Lyman/Keith No. If you want to baby your 44 Special revolver, or just want a decent plinking load, then 6.5 grains of unique or 4.7 grains of Red Dot is fine. cast SWC; Hornady 200-gr. No doubt, several long trainloads of .44 Special, loaded with Bullseye, 700-X, and other fast-burning powders have been safely shot, probably before I was born! Free shipping for many products! When smokeless powder loads appeared, velocity was standardized (with the, same bullet) at 755 fps, which is offered by Remington and Winchester (although actual velocities usually hover around 700 fps). Elmer laid down specific specifications for a bullet bearing his name: three equally sized full caliber driving bands, a deep crimping groove between the middle and top bands, a large grease groove between the middle and bottom bands and a flat bottom with no bevel. Look for your answers in our Forum and in our bi-monthly publication the Fouling Shot. Tried TB, "didn't fit my pistols". | (IV) Winners must undergo a background check (if needed) and comply with all other federal, state and local laws. In spite of the frequent criticism of the .44 Special for being somewhat underpowered, it can be amazingly accurate, has been chambered in many top-notch guns and when handloaded offers power and unusual versatility that make it capable of hunting big game, defense or target work. . To help illustrate this information, sidebars are included containing sample dimensions from a variety of guns. Stocky's Owner Don Bitz walks David Faubion through the company's new rifle stocks for 2023. I do use it from time to time, however its more than I want for an everyday workin load at 1,200 fps with a 260-gr. Cowboy Action has recently given the .44 Special a shot in the arm, and the lighter cast bullets further broaden the Special's appeal. .44 Special: When the .44 Special was introduced in late 1907, even though the brass was longer than the .44 Russian and the Triple-Lock sixgun was certainly stronger than the S&W Top-Breaks, for some strange reason it was loaded to the same level as the .44 Russian; they simply increased the black powder charge from 23 to 26 grains. Box 1926, Escondido, CA 92033. The 44 Special shines with a moderately soft 240-250 grain Keith style SWC bullet driven to the 900-1000 fps range. Minimal leading. Put one through the slats of a snow shoe bunny and you have an instant "stopper" and no lost meat. I have revolvers with longer barrels, but the shorter barrel makes more sense when carried on the hip, and a slight velocity loss is unimportant. With the grips removed, it was an easy task to install the model in a Ransom Rest for testing using an insert for the N-frame, round-butt gun. | I DO always double check the charged cases before the projectile goes on, but I stick with bulkier powders as a "belt and suspenders" measure. The store will not work correctly in the case when cookies are disabled. Jeff Bradley shows off the Modern Hunting Rifle (MHR) from Christensen Arms at SHOT Show 2023. It is important to note that the .44 Special has an industry overall cartridge length of 1.615 inches, while the .44 Magnum is actually shorter at 1.610 inches. Ammunition Reloading. VihtaVuori Oy Company, reloading booklet (1995) Numerous magazine articles on reloading special calibers and personal loads where noted. He is a published fiction and non-fiction writer, earned his pilots license in 1965, and is the original founder of Reload Ammo in 1996. Unique is still one of the most versatile powders on the market today. XTP; Nosler 240-gr. Winners will be notified by certified mail on official letterhead. Granted, with modern revolvers the .44 Special can be loaded close to magnum standards for serious hunting duties when needed. JSP; Nosler 240-gr. This bullet is seated over 7.5 grains of Unique powder and stuffed in a .44 Special case, sparked with a large pistol primer. less than a comparable .44 Magnum, and also less recoil while still being more than adequate for any situation which should arise. Box 1926, Escondido, CA 92033. You can reduce the charge for still lighter recoil depending on the individual revolver. With a satin stainless finish, this Model 629 is built on the traditional N-frame and weighs 41 ounces unloaded. .44 Special is a fun caliber to shoot. Regardless of the loads chosen, be certain to use data exactly as listed, as changes in bullet design, bullet seating depth and overall cartridge length, primer, etc., will change the pressures and performance of the load. I have .44 Specials whose chamber throats are as tight as 0.427 and as large as 0.433, and I just took possession of a Spanish copy of the old S&W Triple-Lock with 0.437 throats. The "Skeeter"load. 5.0 gr. Most modern jacketed bullets must be traveling at least 850 to 900 fps to achieve reliable expansion, a velocity that was easily reached with most 200-grain bullets using standard pressure loads. http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/RecipeList.aspx?gtypeid=1 They don't show any data for the 240gr using 2400 but do with the 250gr. JSP, (WC= WadCutter, SWC= Semi-WadCutter, FP=Flat Point, HP= Hollow Point, RN= Round Nose), SP=Soft Point, (JHP= Jacketed Hollow Point and if GC indicated, means Gas Check at bottom of lead bullet), (Note: These are near maximum loads, you should use 10% less to start. Contest void where prohibited by law. Bullet sizes vary from .429 for jacketed to .432 for some lead in diameter. Instead of using it in my lighter weight .44 Special sixguns, I mostly use it in .44 Magnums. Keith pestered the ammo companies to bring out heavier .44 Special loads, but there was a fear that such powerful loads would blow up an older, weaker revolver. Just depends on what kinds of loads you plan to shoot. Post WWII revolvers are stronger. Published on 10-20-2014 09:25 PM The .44 Associates and several industry notables helped influence Smith & Wesson and Remington to ultimately develop the .44 Magnum, though it was primarily Elmer Keith that was the ultimate persuader. NOTE: Velocities are lower in the larger cases so speeds and pressures are different. Hodgdon H-110 also performed well when mated to the heavyweight 305- and 307-grain cast bullets; however, to prevent erratic ignition and possible hang-fires, loads should not be reduced. Associated taxes and fees will be the responsibility of the winner. SWC+GC, 265 gr. For any loads over 1000 FPS, I suggest GC for sure or using a jacketed bullet. Just stick to near-maximum loads to keep up the velocity and ensure adequate expansion. of Israeli Defense Forces, joins David Fortier for an exclusive interview for Shotgun News. .44 Special (Hodgdon Data) reloading data with 130 loads. After a while, however, even the most recoil-tough shooter looks forward to toning things down a bit. The .44 Special was introduced in about 1907 and is an extremely accurate cartridge. (This was prior to the organization of SAAMI in 1926, resulting in the standardization of ammunition specifications and pressures.). Go Back. I push this with 16.3 grains of #2400 yielding 1,217 fps from a 51/2 barrel. Reloading Press & Equipment; Molds; Share. Trigger pull on the test sample was set at 4 pounds. For a "Knockdown" Load, I used 5.0grs of Titegroup under a 240-250gr RN. 5 and No. Having always been a fan of moderate loads using lead bullets suitable for casual paper punching, the .44 Special naturally comes to mind for use in .44 Magnum revolvers. 30 days easy returns; 100% money back guarantee. Even when bullets of this diameter are used in guns that have a tighter barrel groove diameter of .4265 inch to .428 inch (typically found in the Colt Single Action Army and New Frontier SAA), accuracy is still excellent. 200 210 grain bullets will hit 800 fps with 5.2 grains of Tight Group or Bullseye. I am using it to knock down steel targets from 20 to 50 yards. Study them carefully, as measurements vary even from the same manufacturer. Not much of a kicker, seated bullet to crimp grove LBT style bullet. It shares the same cylinder length as the Model 29-5 (bottom) rather than the short cylinder of the original Model 1950 Target (top). Works well in a 3" Sheriff's Model, a 12" Buntline Special, and everything in between. But in 1956 Keith's efforts culminated in the introduction of the .44 Magnum. My favorite load for my Ruger Blackhawk 44 Special is something I got from an article by Skeeter Skelton. Prizes will not be awarded if illegal in jurisdiction of winner(s). These three lead bullets make the .44 Magnum a versatile cartridge (left to righ): The 200-grain wadcutter is inexpensive and great to shoot at targets. http://www.goodrichfamilyassoc.org/4%20Special.pdf, Vintage Boxes - Gear, Shell, Case, Primer, Group Buys Design, Active , Waiting and Archives, Closed Buys/Waiting for delivery/in shipment, If this is your first visit, be sure to For general-purpose plinking, target work and even defense, using one of the various 245- to 255- grain cast SWC profile bullets pushed around 850 to 875 fps will prove effective and pleasant to shoot. Manufacturer #: HT-430240EK. RDM, Published on 10-20-2014 09:18 PM NEVER! For light loads with 250-260 grain bullets, 5.3 grains Vhitavouri 320 or 4.8 grains Tight Group will deliver 700 fps and good accuracy. This also helps powder to ignite properly and usually results in lower extreme velocity spreads and improved accuracy. A Colt Model P will probably not blow up, but it will loosen up pretty quick. Contest void where prohibited by law. Although they could not fully duplicate the velocities obtained with classic magnum revolver powders such as Alliant 2400, they were not far behind and are excellent choices for +P loads. High-performance .44 Special loads can reach 1,200 and 1,300 fps, closely crowding .44 Remington Magnum performance. Left to right:- 250 gr. Our mission is to help you improve your skills, save money, and achieve greater accuracy with your reloads. But do you know how to properly use them? I firmly believe that true happiness is a warm gun. My standard loads are assembled with 7.5 grains of either Unique or Universal, 17.5 grains of #4227, or 8.0 grains of Power Pistol. The SCAR 15P is chambered for 5.56 NATO and, with its 7.5-inch barrel, is the most compact SCAR to date. When. With a 51/2 barreled sixgun, 9.0 grains of Unique is just under 1,200 fps. (I) Giveaway ends May 31, 2023. Joseph Von Benedikt is with Rafe Nielsen of Browning to take a look at a new X-Bolt series rifle. Dies are made by virtually everybody, and for years they have been configured to accommodate both Special as well as Magnum cases with minor die adjustments. No substitutions or transfers to a third party are allowed. Cases for the .44 Special are straight-walled, so carbide sizers further streamline the loading process. All entries must be received by giveaway end date. 7, Ramshot True Blue, Alliant Unique and Power Pistol. Very low recoil, expected more with this heavy of a bullet. All Shooting Times subscribers now have digital access to their magazine content. Just saying. Guaranteed Safe Checkout. Winners must respond within 30 days of receiving notification or an alternate winner will be selected. (IV) Winners must undergo a background check (if needed) and comply with all other federal, state and local laws. SIG Sauer Announces New P320-XTEN 10mm Pistol, Federal Ammunition History: 14 Things You Didn't Know, Revic Optics BR4 Ballistic Rangefinder: Review, SCCY DVG-1 Sub-Compact Striker-Fired Pistol: Full Review, SIG Sauer P322 Rimfire Pistol: First Look, Springfield Armory Hellion 5.56 NATO Bullpup Rifle: Tested, Silencer Central Streamlined Suppressor-Purchasing Process Shakes Up Industry, 5 Best Red-Dot Optics for SIG Sauer P365X & XL Pistols. If you drop a bullet into each chamber in your cylinder, if it falls through any/all of them, it is too small and will probably lead the barrel and not shoot all that well. Purchase A PDF Download Of The American Handgunner Nov/Dec 2020 Issue Now! I have several Smith & Wesson N-frames from different eras that have been used extensively with full-power .44 Special (Category 3) loads without issue. we are talking about. Box 1926, Escondido, CA 92033. Product #: 544483. Deployed military should use stateside address. Just stick to near-maximum loads to keep up the velocity and ensure adequate expansion. Learn more here: http://bit.ly/1G7xXag. Make sure to watch till the end. I used CCI-350 magnum primers with HS-6 and Silhouette powders, but regular primers would work just as well. Eventually Federal Cartridge offered a 200-grain lead SWC-HP at 900 fps (recently reduced to 870 fps), while Winchester followed suit with a 200-grain Silvertip HP and Remington with a 200-grain LSWC at the same velocity. Employees and agents of Publishers Development Corp. are not eligible. A better question would be, why not? bullet. The CBA is a international organization of shooters who enjoy casting and shooting lead alloy bullets for competition, hunting, experimenting, and casual shooting. For the mild .44 special loads, I recommend all lead bullets and loads that produce 700-850 FPS speeds. SWC-JHP, .44 with 250 gr. Trying to make a 0.430 bullet work for all of these would be an exercise in futility. Join the exclusive reloading community founded in 1996 and be the first to know about our latest news, reviews, and insights. Whether a Perfect Packin Pistol 4" S&W-style is fancy or plain it still serves the purpose. No purchase necessary. It's best to shoot all lead bullets outside to avoid lead fumes. .44 Special (Using Hornady Bullets) reloading data with 223 loads. Both are N-frames with trim 6 -inch barrels. I am not about totest thisbecause the recoil at 1200 fps is decidedly unpleasant in a light-weight Special, and I am a wimp. For everyday "working" .44 Special loads, I find 240- to 255-grain cast bullets at around 1,000 fps to 1,050 fps especially useful. Skeltons favorite handload consisted of the 250-grain Keith bullet pushed around 950 fps (4-inch barrel) using 7.5 grains of Unique powder. HS-6 and Blue Dot are excellent choices for such applications. I still favor genuine Keith designs for general use, as they are accurate, perform well on game, are easy to cast, and without a gas check, they are especially economical. By comparison, revolvers typically chambered for the Special are lighter, handier and better suited for everyday belt carry. Joseph Von Benedikt is with Jorge Spat to learn all about it. Montana Bullet Works offers quality hand-cast bullets, such as the 280-grain LFN-PB and 250-grain LFN-GC. During the 1920s Elmer Keith developed the Ideal/Lyman 429421 bullet to improve the .44 Specials performance. Also, as previously indicated, the chamber throats measure a comparatively snug .429 inch. Clays, Universal, HP38, HS6 and H4895 are products of Hodgdon Powders. This means you have the option to read your magazine on most popular phones and tablets. A few of their advantages include lower cost especially if you cast your own substantially reduced barrel wear, greater velocities with less chance of sticking bullets in the bore, straight and deep penetration on game with the added shock associated with a large meplat and good accuracy, especially when loads are tailored to a specific gun. The Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook and my old Lyman #45 Reloading Guide differ on a starting load for the bullet i'm using (Lyman 429244 - 245gr gascheck). Bullets as heavy as 300 grains are available, but it's difficult to get enough velocity out of the Special case to make them useful. ), (See note on Powders below or read all about various Powders.). check out the. Sign up with your email address to receive news and updates. Bullets under 200 grains have never given me anything but short-range accuracy. While in the past fancy Goncalo Alves grips were standard, now weather-resistant neoprene panels are standard. Though the .44 Magnum is an offshoot of this cartridge, the Special was based on the older black powder .44 Russian. The revolver pictured above is a reproduction Keith No. Though to me the .44 Special is not that special, and I dont need oodles of powder choices behind it for a particular use in the field. Available in a wide variety of calibers and bullet weights along with supersonic and subsonic options where applicable. This bullet is still widely popular. Experimenters such as Elmer Keith proved that a heavily loaded .44 Special was very effective on big game. Before there were scopes or red dots there were iron sights. Number of Views: 5765, Published on 10-20-2014 09:24 PM Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? It is especially important when handloading the Cutting Edge 200-grain Raptor or 240-grain Solid bullets to use the exact data and overall cartridge lengths as listed, or pressures will change rapidly. . Chris Johnson, FN Senior Product Manager, walks us through two new FN striker-fired pistols at SHOT Show 2023: the FN 510 Tactical, chambered in 10mm Auto, and the FN 545 Tactical, chambered in .45 ACP. Bullet fit is key for accuracy. Below, are two loaded rounds. WMR, WSF, WST, WSL, 760, 748, 231 and 540 are products of Winchester, Components Div. JFP, 240 gr. The 255-grain Lyman Thompson-designed mould 429244 with a gas check also produces excellent terminal performance and minimizes barrel leading. A healthy roll crimp is recommended. This gun differs from previous models in several areas; most notable is a cylinder length that is the same as the Model 29 .44 Magnum, which results in greater bullet jump or free-bore. Explore our articles, guides, and join our community to get started on your reloading journey today. (III) Giveaway winner(s) chosen by random drawing. Number of Views: 5757, Published on 10-20-2014 09:20 PM For "Full Power" 7.5grs Unique under a 245gr SWC. Number of Views: 5745, Published on 10-20-2014 09:21 PM 2 alloy), and no leading was noted. An oversized bullet will shoot OK, but any undersized in my experience won't. jacketed bullets from Hornady, Sierra, or Speer with any of my first mentioned standard load powders result in slightly slower velocities than cast bullets, giving right around 900 fps from a 51/2 barrel. If any of you have been through this process, I'd love to hear about it. Welcome to The Cast Bullet Association Forum, TC Contenders & Other Single Shot Handguns. The Association's central purpose is to help shooters enjoy casting bullets, You must enable JavaScript to be able to use this site in full. HP, .44 with 225 gr. That is why you dont see FPS by every load. The overwhelming answer in the avalanche of replies was "Red Dot!" The .44 Special was formally introduced by Smith & Wesson in 1907. While the original intent of the .44 Special may have been as a target round, savvy handgunners havelong since used the cartridge for informal shooting and the taking of small to medium game at moderate ranges. of black powder . Ruger Redhawk 44 mag 51/2 barrel & Ruger 44 mag Super Blackhawk old model 71/2 barrel. To comply with the new e-Privacy directive, we need to ask for your consent to set the cookies. All Reloading Equipment; . With member reviews, stories, and creativity! 10grs is a hot load; maybe not unsafe, but hot. In your Super Black hawk that should get you 950 fps at about 18,000 PSI. The idea of .44 Special for Everyday Workin' Loads is a relatively lightweight sixgun, around 1/2 lb. An excellent assortment of expanding jacketed bullets is available in .44 caliber these days. At left is a reproduction of Keiths original No. If you have a fixed sight revolver 250-260 grain bullets will probably shoot close to the sights. Been using this load for years. Skeeter Skelton was perhaps most influential for helping to renew interest in the .44 Special, with articles appearing in the late 1960s and 1970s that ultimately helped influence Colt to reintroduce the Single Action Army and New Frontier during the late 1970s (both of which are currently available again), while Smith & Wesson produced its Models 24 and 624 (1950 Target) during the mid-1980s. 5.2 grains gave 800 fs., so pressure goes up pretty fast. 5, #2230, and #2460 are products of Accurate Arms Company For this bullet 8.5 grains of Unique results in 980 fps in a 4 barreled S&W while 15.5 grains of #2400 goes up to 1,140 fps. Post WWII revolvers are stronger. HP, .44 with 225 gr. It was left to handloaders to fill the power vacuum. But don't be misled. Subscriber Services. What kind of gun? The 7.5/Unique/240-250 REALLY IS a very nice "general purpose" load for the .44 Special, but I agree that it's too warm for older pieces and GOD HELP YOUR HAND if you shoot it in a Charter Arms ANYTHING! It is important to note that Keith would likely have been completely satisfied with the power and performance of his heavy .44 Special handloads, but wanted them available as a factory offering. Joseph VonBenedikt is with Joel Hodgdon to talk about the improved accuracy and long-range potential of the already reliable Core-Lokt ammo line. Overall fit and finish is good, the front cylinder edges are rounded for easy entry into a holster, belt or backpack. No purchase necessary. I like to use Lyman reloading manuals for verified data. Magtech FMJ ammunition delivers reliable, accurate performance on the range. Winners must respond within 30 days of receiving notification or an alternate winner will be selected. Our 6204 members have posted 87352 times in 5929 discussions. If you have an older revolver this is a good limit. (II) Limit one entry per household. Fortunately, S&W has recently reincarnated the M24 in its Classics series. 429244 255-grain bullet (right) with gas check. A good, hard 240-grain semi-wadcutter at close to 1,000 fps will take deer, elk and black bear. Normally, you use the 44. special cases in guns chambered for the .44 special cartridge. Most casting companies use hard alloy, it casts better and ships better. Add to cart. The claimed muzzle energy (ME) is 310 ft. lbs. If you shoot the Skeeter Load with hard bullets you can crack the barrel extension on your revolver. Taylor Knock-Out Factor Calculations What it takes to knock-out big game. Unique is a great powder to use and have on your bench. For the vast majority of us, the .44 Special will do everything needing doing with the sixgun. 2, Alliant Bullseye and Red Dot. I think you are also going to shorten the life of your revolver with Keith Loads. Either weight can be driven over 1,000 fps and provide about all the power that can be comfortably housed in a medium-weight revolver. JSP * Prizes will not be awarded if illegal in jurisdiction of winner(s). To protect the privacy and security of winners, names will not be made public. Pet Loads and Handloader are registered trademarks of Wolfe Publishing Company. For the best experience on our site, be sure to turn on Javascript in your browser. For the best experience on our site, be sure to turn on Javascript in your browser. The cartridge was the fine, old .44 S&W Special stoked with hand-loads that pushed the 250-grain Lyman/Keith No. It often produces tight groups and, when developing top-notch handloads, is one of the least finicky cartridges. Contest open to U.S. residents only. Your email address will not be published. Powder charges used in the .44 Special case seldom require magnum primers, although they are frequently recommended with ball or spherical powders. (II) Limit one entry per household. Revolver Is Back, A World Record Attempt: Practice Round and Media Day, Interview with Israeli Defense Forces, Part 1. The Hodgdon site lists 8.0 gr of HS-6 as a max load for the .44 Special with a 240gr cast bullet. check out the. Full Metal Jacket projectiles are the ideal choice for training, target shooting and general range use. A popular Cowboy bullet is the 200-grain RNFP. bullet at 900 fps left little to be desired. This was the dawn of the smokeless era, and with it came some problems. You have successfully joined our subscriber list. Associated taxes and fees will be the responsibility of the winner. The Mossberg 500 Pump Action Shotgun is one of the most popular home defense shotguns on the market. Giveaway prizes may have evidence of being test fired or exhibit minor handling marks. It is true that guns made prior to 1956 utilized a different grade steel than revolvers chambered for .44 Magnum and later production .44 Special revolvers, but they are nonetheless strong and can easily handle loads that generate 25,000 psi.